BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Fellow BMW *R riders!

I recently bought a year old 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte, and so far, very happy with her!
Bike handles like a dream, has ample torque and speed and so far eaten everything I've thrown at her with ease and a certain degree of finesse :)

Being new to BMW Motorrad, it takes some getting used to all the electronic bells and whistles, and upright riding position: I'm transitioning from a Japanese cruise (aka Harley lookalike), with zero rider aids, antiquated brakes and forward controls.

At the time of purchase, bike still had two years+ of factory warranty, under 1,600 miles on the odometer, several accessories and upgrades, as well as Nav6.
Since then I've clocked 1,300 miles, added side cases, bought a Sena 50S to be able to reliably connect both TFT and Nav6, added tank grips, radiator guard, changed bulbs to PHILIPS - Diamond Vision H7 Halogen HID, and planning to add aux lights later in the year (winter project). Still looking for a decent windshield that doesn't buffet my eyeballs to jelly above 70 MPS (tried all three options from National Cycles Ztechnik Vstream line, and none seem to work well for me).

I been riding for several years now, mostly in NYC metropolitan area and PA twisties, with fairly frequent trips between the two states (under 300 miles round trip), and oh boy, this R1250R is a fighter jet in disguise! Cruise control and ample storage space via Givi cases are a nice add-ons on longer trips.

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all, and hopefully contribute as well.

Here are few pictures of my bike:

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
443 Posts
Welcome, fireman, and congrats on the new bike! I have the same model -- the '20 Exclusive in the Pollux Metallic Matte. I've had mine for almost a year-and-a-half, and have never enjoyed a bike more...I'm sure you'll find the same. Aside from a few years on a FJR prior to my R, my riding history was also with cruisers, but after my last two bikes -- and especially this R -- I can't imagine going back...the R has the kind of power delivery, performance, and ergonomics that, to me, feel just perfect.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome, fireman, and congrats on the new bike! I have the same model -- the '20 Exclusive in the Pollux Metallic Matte. I've had mine for almost a year-and-a-half, and have never enjoyed a bike more...I'm sure you'll find the same. Aside from a few years on a FJR prior to my R, my riding history was also with cruisers, but after my last two bikes -- and especially this R -- I can't imagine going back...the R has the kind of power delivery, performance, and ergonomics that, to me, feel just perfect.
Power delivery is amazing at all speeds I’m riding at. First time I overtook a car on highway, was an AHA moment, eyes open and screaming yeaaahhhh baby! The more I ride it, the more i get a feeling that it is a very well rounded machine, that does everything it was designed for very very well.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Welcome to the forum fireman 👍. Those Givi panniers sure complement the look of your motorcycle.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
Welcome fireman to BMW motorbikes and this Forum!

Appreciate your nice introduction and pictures. Very nice "starter" BMW you have there ;)

You may find, as many of us have over the decades, that your Beemers capabilities grow on you the more you ride it - your bike is an incredible performer, which you will continue to discover for yourself as you accumulate seat time.

You may also find, as many of us also have, that when it comes to quiet windscreens "less is more". Naked bikes or very small windscreens often tend to let your head ride in cleaner quieter air than larger screens that dump shrieking booming turbulent air right at ear level. I've found reasonable success installing this MRA (German) X-Creen Sport Blade atop my shorty windscreen to create laminar flow and push turbulent air above my helmet, it works well for me.

Enjoy your new friend and this Forum!

Cheers and Welcome! Dave

Reactions: colroubaix

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Appreciate your nice introduction and pictures. Very nice "starter" BMW you have there ;)

You may find, as many of us have over the decades, that your Beemers capabilities grow on you the more you ride it - your bike is an incredible performer, which you will continue to discover for yourself as you accumulate seat time.

You may also find, as many of us also have, that when it comes to quiet windscreens "less is more". Naked bikes or very small windscreens often tend to let your head ride in cleaner quieter air than larger screens that dump shrieking booming turbulent air right at ear level. I've found reasonable success installing this MRA (German) X-Creen Sport Blade atop my shorty windscreen to create laminar flow and push turbulent air above my helmet, it works well for me.

Cheers and Welcome! Dave
Thank you for a warm welcome! Definitely an interesting choice for a started BMW: It was recommended by a friend, price was right, my previous bike needed repairs and I was on three weeks vacation without a motorcycle, and for the past year and a half I was looking to upgrade, doing extensive research on available options. I have to admit R1250R was not my first or second choice if I were to buy brand new off the showroom floor (purely based on stats and reviews), but this bike pleasantly surprised me. Some might say stars aligned :)

I currently have a medium sized National Cycles Ztechnik installed, and put a deflector similar to the one you recommended, but haven’t had a chance to put any miles yet to test it. The largest and smallest did not work well for me.

If I were just pleasure riding it, I wouldn’t bother, with a windscreen, however I do have to go on 2-3 hour 60-85 mph trips periodically, and it gets tiring pushing against the wind.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
24 Posts

[/URL]

Cheers and Welcome! Dave
@dbyker. Is your shorty windscreen the OEM BMW one like mine
Automotive lighting Hood Motorcycle Automotive tire Light

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@dbyker. Is your shorty windscreen the OEM BMW one like mine View attachment 112681
My bike came with National Cycles screen installed, and did not have OEM windscreen bracket. I tried all three sizes available from National Cycles, and none worked well for me. I now installed an OEM screen bracket and a California Scientific windscreen, and will report on results when I have a chance to test it for several weeks.

·
Registered
2016 r1200r
27 Posts
Welcome! Nice bike.

As a new r12r (2016) rider, I too have gone through some windscreen hoops and hurdles. For points of comparison, I'm on a normal seat, and have a 30" inseam/5'8".

Mine came with Puig sport (medium) screen. It caused crazy buffeting, especially on the right side of my helmet. I did about 1000 miles with the sport screen, then decided to try the Puig touring screen. While the buffeting was better (and overall covering), I wasn't crazy about the look, and more importantly, the turbulence on the side and top of my helmet didn't go away. Finally I decided to remove the screen and I couldn't be happier. While anything over 80 is a bit much, the 45 to 65 range is SO much better without a screen. The bike looks better, too. I'm not done yet with experimenting. I like the looks of @dbyker 's shorty screen.

Possibly related, at 5'8" I'm knees bent and flat-footed at a stop. On long rides, I feel a bit cramped, oddly enough (considering I'm not that tall). I've thinking about moving to the tall seat, as I've heard similar issues from other r12 riders. I'm assuming the tall seat might impact the reaction to wind?

@dbyker - is it cosmetic only or are you feeling a real difference?

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,407 Posts
@dbyker. ...Is your shorty windscreen the OEM BMW one like mine
... I like the looks of @dbyker 's shorty screen....
@dbyker - is it cosmetic only or are you feeling a real difference?
My '18 GS Rallye is running the small GS Rallye windscreen with a MRA X-Creen Sport Blade atop it. They're both smoke-tinted and IMO look technical & cool together. The short screen & blade combo create a laminar flow effect pushing turbulent air up over my helmet. It works, I rode 480 miles / 770 kilometers on the highway in the last two days and between adjusting the screen and my helmet visor I can ride up to or beyond 80mph / 130 kph with a fairly comfortable level of wind noise.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: Roger20

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 18 of 18 Posts