BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Welcome to the forum Pete, (y) don't go upsetting the natives they are already pissed with Ryan at fort nine for suggesting the shift cam isn't perfect. :rolleyes:
Where are you?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Oh, Pete, not only is the indicator switch dreadful, but watch out for BMW's lethal self cancelling indicators.

It is a great bike, but the combination crappy and poorly positioned indicator switch combined with the self cancelling feature, which makes you wonder why you bothered indicating in the first place, is probably the worst feature of the bike.

Other than that, and the too many pointless features/information, I'm pretty happy with the bike. Oh it eats rear tyres.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome to the forum Pete, (y) don't go upsetting the natives they are already pissed with Ryan at fort nine for suggesting the shift cam isn't perfect. :rolleyes:
Where are you?
Hello thanks for that nice reply, me I sleep just off the Old kent Road, but am not home often due to the job, odd shifts and have to move around a lot. ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
Ah, another Luddite – just what we need ... 🤣

Seriously, welcome (and, no, I don't need a TFT thanks - my 2015 instruments show quite enough info).

Reactions: Pete-style

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome aboard P-S, lots of helpful folk around here, Jeez some may even be able help you to de-mystify your TFT. Nice pick with the 1250 BTW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome aboard P-S, lots of helpful folk around here, Jeez some may even be able help you to de-mystify your TFT. Nice pick with the 1250 BTW.
Ta mate, cannot see that happening, think I am off to specsavers, far to many things to see on that TFT.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Hello thanks for that nice reply, me I sleep just off the Old kent Road, but am not home often due to the job, odd shifts and have to move around a lot. ;)

Wow! Small world, Pete! As a small boy in post-war bombed-out SE Lunnon my family lived briefly in the OKR, in a block of flats then called Waleran Buildings, near the 'World Turned Upside Down' pub! Problee converted to yuppie mansions these days! Went to school in Rotherhithe, grandparents lived nearby too, quite close to the East Street/ East Lane (???) markets. Unhappy daze!

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum. I often think there'd be a market for modern bikes with basic instruments.

Reactions: Pete-style

·
Registered
263 Posts
My relationship with the TFT is one of love/hate.

There were two low mileage used R1200’s when I ordered my R1250R at the dealership. And umm, sorry if I’m gonna upset a few R1200R owners, but the 2014-2019 instrument panel has to be one of the worst to feature on a motorcycle. Great bike – dreadful dash. So shift cam combined with the TFT was attractive. I went for a new bike.

I love the TFT, it is super clear and gives me most of the info I need. It’s just that other info I want from time to time is via the menu (one way or another). So yeah it is very easy to get distracted by the TFT looking for whatever piece of info you are after. The up button is supposed to solve this, but rather than give you the key things you might be interested in – like say trip milage, fuel range and tyre pressure – it scrolls through everything including stuff that I don’t have a clue about – so you have to look at the screen.

As for synching my phone…. Well I guess having the navigator via your phone through the TFT might be handy, but everything else – just more distractions.

Which brings me onto one of my biggest fears when out on the road now. Generally now, in the UK, people have got the message that using your hand held phone whilst driving is a bad idea, but now the automobile industry has gone touch screen mad. It is the same problem, but maybe even worse.

To use a touch screen you have to look at it, and touching a precise part of the screen whilst driving can be difficult. For example, I am told on the latest VW Golf, if you want to turn your rear screen de-mister on, you navigate through the touch screen to turn it on – that means not looking at the road. More and more stuff is via the difficult to use whilst driving, and impossible to do without turning your eyes away from the road, touch screen.

On the Tesla, the bulk of the ancillary controls are via the touch screen. I believe there are already court cases in relation to accidents which may have been caused by TFT/touch screen distraction. Apparently one German court ruled Tesla’s windscreen wipers controls via the TFT are a distraction.

So I love the TFT, but I feel that less would be more.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I'm with you on both counts Gareth. While I rilly, rilly love my R1200R, it annoys me somewhat that the large digital speed indicator is only available on one screen mode and that one does NOT show the rev counter. I find the size of the analogue speedo to the left nearly useless to assess your speed fast enough with just a quick glance without taking eyes off the road for too long. That's easy-pezy at just a glance with the large digital readout though. And while on the move, I find the temptation to scroll through to find info' a distraction too. Having said the above, perhaps I'll change my view with more seat time.

Love the clarity of TFT screens I have seen for sure. but as you say, yet another thing to distract us from the number one task of staying alive. Sometimes less is more IMHO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts