BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2021 R1250RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sold my 1200RS to purchase a 1250 RS ..like ya do! Like an idiot I completely forgot my pannier locks are set to the key barrel I sold the bike with! I now have a set of panniers I don't have a key for! Is there anything I can do? I guessing head to the dealership with the old bikes registration number and see if they can make me a key?? Or drill them out and fit new barrels to match my new bike key??

What a plonker Rodney!

Thanks guys..

·
Registered
875 Posts
Bummer.
When I ordered my R1250RS, my sales guy suggested that I keep the panniers from my 2018 R1200R since they fit either bike. I brought the cases in a couple of weeks before the RS landed and they had them rekeyed and ready to go when I took delivery of the new bike.
The grey cases are a better color match on my light white, than they were on the racing red.
I don't think it's all that hard to change the locks, but a total blert like me would waste a few hours trying to figure it out.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers boys, I'll be heading up to the dealership first thing in the morning. Head out to Germany the day after so I need a solution one way or another.. ££££ :eek:

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,383 Posts
A BMW dealer should be able to rekey the bags. Don't worry about it.
They'll need a key to open them first, so will likely need to order a (hopefully non-chipped – $) key in order to do that. I don't think it's feasible to remove the barrel without the correct key inserted (after the release tab has been pressed).

Any prospect you can be put in touch with the new owner of your old bike to borrow a key?

Reactions: Lee F

·
Registered
2021 R1250RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Panzermann, the guy who bought the bike is 500 miles away unfortunately!
Order one... that doesn't sound like a quick fix! Was hoping they could cut one there and then? Or perhaps a master key to at least open it? Guess worst case is they sell me new barrels/key and I drill out the old ones? All will be revealed in the morning!
Could be pants, pants reversed, pants inside out, pants inside out and reversed.. repeat! :oops::D

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,383 Posts
There'll be no master key solution Rog, and it's my understanding dealerships don't cut keys, they order them from Germany. It would be feasible for a locksmith to cut one from a blank if they had the appropriate blank (available on eBay - time ...) and the dealership provided the key code (which they will only do on proof of ownership ...).

If the new owner would trust you with the key code, or a clear photo of the key, these people may be able to help in your time frame. The key would not be a transponder version, so won't start the bike - just open the under-seat lock and top case and new panniers if he has them fitted

You could re-key the locks to your own bike some time later and maybe send the then obsolete spare to the owner of your old bike.

Given the housing is plastic, drilling out could cause damage to it.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow great info Panzermann! I still have the V5C (completed an online tranfer of ownership), however it sounds like I'll be running out of time! See what they come back with in the morning, at least I'm pre-warned.

Cheers bud!

·
Registered
2019 R1250R HP Black, 2019 R1250GS HP Rally X
32 Posts
Just get them re-keyed for the new bike. It might cost a few bucks, but it can easily be done. Dealers do it all the time. I did the same for mine when I sold bike (RS) for the R but kept my pannier set.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,383 Posts
Just get them re-keyed for the new bike. It might cost a few bucks, but it can easily be done. Dealers do it all the time. I did the same for mine when I sold bike (RS) for the R but kept my pannier set.
You need the current key in order to remove the key barrel to then re-key it.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You need the current key in order to remove the key barrel to then re-key it.
Hi all, sorry for the late reply and offer of thanks for all the good deets.. Ran out of time in the end and did the trip without the panniers. Worked out quite well in the end. So Panzermann you were spot on with your thoughts on what my local dealership could do - not a lot basically! Although they did offer to try a bunch of keys they had lying around in the hope one may fit. In short, if they're locked you're buggered! In the end called a local lock smith who whilst I was away in Germany sorted the whole problem out. Arrived home to find a new key waiting on the mat.
Someone on here said a few months back, "I hope you're not too disappointed with the B500, it's not what it used to be". Sadly I had to agree it wasn't as good as the hype made out, nor was the 'romanic road' for that matter. However, we found some amazing roads off the beaten track and the weather was cracking the flags.

Thanks again for all the advice fellas - a small bag of soap suds got round the pants issue..

·
Registered
923 Posts
I would have said track down who had your old bike and ask them to use the key to unlock your cases so you could get them rekeyed.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,383 Posts
I assume the locksmith was skilled enough to pick the lock, the remove the barrel so a key to fit it could be cut.
With that key and the cases open, you can now remove each barrel and re-key them to your bike’s key (unless the locksmith has already done that for you). Dealers normally have a box of spare wafers from panniers and top cases they’ve keyed for customers at purchase, so should be happy to accommodate any you need.

·
Registered
2021 R1250RS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I assume the locksmith was skilled enough to pick the lock, the remove the barrel so a key to fit it could be cut.
With that key and the cases open, you can now remove each barrel and re-key them to your bike’s key (unless the locksmith has already done that for you). Dealers normally have a box of spare wafers from panniers and top cases they’ve keyed for customers at purchase, so should be happy to accommodate any you need.
Yeah he was all over it, thanks Panzermann 👌

1 - 15 of 15 Posts