BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lover and supporter of our R1200R, I hate seeing one of our bikes sitting unused for a long period of time. A riding buddy who has gotten on with age and out of riding, has such a bike. A twin to my 2011 Candy Apple Red Roadster. However his has sat unused for over 5 years now. He finally decided to sell it but wasn't being active about it other than a local club post.

I have another riding buddy who was looking to upgrade his 02 Triumph Sprint ST. However this friend is a bit of a tightwad and likes bargains. The bargain is more important than which bike.

Enter me the bike match maker. 2nd buddy knows how much I love my roadster. So of course I put into motion for him to look at the bike with owners permission see if it starts. I brought a spare fully charge battery. He brought fresh gas and a siphon for old gas.

Selling friend was agreeable to plan. We pull it out of the corner of garage. 5 years of dust. No drips under bike. Tires need air but look good. No cracks. We check under seat for varmints and it is clean. Seller told us that it had been on a tender since about a year ago. More importantly it was fully serviced about 500 miles before being put away, but no stable in tank.

Turn of the key and lights came on. Only 11,000 miles. We open gas cap and remaining gas smells funky. But there doesn't appear to be much. We were unsuccessful syphoning any out, so we poured in 2 gallons of fresh hi test and rock bike to mix with what's left of old gas. Gave a push of starter and a puff. Pushed again double puff. Pushed again and it fires but rough and dies. We are burning out the old gas. Pushed again it fires and settles into a slightly rough idle but begins to settle after a minute or two. We pump the tires, and he takes it for short ride down street.

Long story short, he is buying my friends bike at a very reasonable price with a complete set of luggage, Garmin and tankbag. Everybody is happy and comfortable with the price.

Buying friend will change all fluids, flush the brakes and give a good cleaning (I hope).

Feels good to help out two friends come together over a bike.

Seller and buyer.

Rick G

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Good Samaritan!

Reactions: rickg

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
117 Posts
Well written,and interesting about how the very old fuel delayed (only for a short time) a perfect start after long storage. Nice. Nice one, RickG and friends. (y)

·
Registered
248 Posts
Good deal on helping out your friends.
Your friend may need to buy new tires. Have him check the date codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice to have a friend and riding buddy like Rick. His passion for riding is contagious and we always seem to get along great. Wish I could have joined him and Mike on the trip out west. Looking foward to getting the redhedded fraulien home. :love::love:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Made it home about 45 miles with no issues. Bike is an interesting change from my Sprint 955 triple. Feels much lighter. Seems like it has tractor like power, but very composed. Love the wide handlebars, vs the clip ons. The Vee Technik windscreen does buffet my helmet at highway speeds. The big duffle strapped to the passenger seat area may have influenced the wind flow or caused turbulence.
If I were taller, it would probably be cleaner air. I may try the small OEM sport screen to see what that is like.
So far really happy with R12R. Feels like a dual sport or medium adv bike to me, its nimble and feels tall on the road.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts