BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any forum members fitted Hepco & Becker Flash Junior 30 or 40 Ltr side cases to their LC?

·
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As mentioned in a previous post, I decided on H&B Flash Junior 30 liter side cases. Coupled with a Givi V47 top-case, I have more than enough touring storage for extended rides. However, with summer daylight saving due to kick in my wife would like to join me on some of my rides. Also, I work takes me to lots of interest and remote regional location and thought I might start riding to some locations. So I need some extra room for work business clothes, laptop etc. I order a set of 40Liter Flash Juniors. Seeing them on the bike for the first time, my initial thought was .... looks like the back of a bus... H&B might be worth renaming the 40Liter Flash from Junior to Senior. However, they are functional and fit for purpose. Here's a couple comparison pic with 40 & 30-liter cases on the bike.

Attachments

Reactions: derudog

·
Registered
579 Posts
Good looking luggage Mike... That is certainly a lot of carrying capacity...can you post some pictures of the mounting racks if possible.

·
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a few pics of the frame and cases. The three selling point for me is two different sizes, frames are quick release & the lids open on the outer edge (not clam opening).
Btw - I have included a rear photo with two different sizes ..

Hope this helps

Although I now leave the frames attached to the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: derudog

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've used H&B panniers on all my bikes for many years - except the R which came with the BMW cases. I have the Junior 30 and 40 panniers, TC40 and TC55 topcases, and the toploading Gobi panniers and I swap them around on my various bikes depending on what I'm going to be doing. There is a plastic bottom "liner" in the Juniors which can be cut out to give a bit more space inside them. Very robust cases with excellent locks and far above Givi and other brands in quality, but the H&B setup is considerably wider than the stock BMW cases.

·
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've used H&B panniers on all my bikes for many years - except the R which came with the BMW cases. I have the Junior 30 and 40 panniers, TC40 and TC55 topcases, and the toploading Gobi panniers and I swap them around on my various bikes depending on what I'm going to be doing. There is a plastic bottom "liner" in the Juniors which can be cut out to give a bit more space inside them. Very robust cases with excellent locks and far above Givi and other brands in quality, but the H&B setup is considerably wider than the stock BMW cases.

I agree that H&B sit wider than stock because the frames are not flush against the bike. The 30 litre seems visually okay to me but the 40 is wide. Good tip re the bottom liner...thanks. Sounds like you have as big a collection of cases/luggage/frames as I do. I have Ventura, SW-Mo-Tech, BMW, Givi and now the H&B ... I got start put some of this stuff on ebay. Cheers

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes, it was embarrassing at one point as I also had a couple of sets of Givi Monokey bags and topcases that had come on other bikes. Garage looked like a luggage store. One other thing I like about the H&Bs is that you can buy the lock barrels for next to nothing and key-alike all the bag and mount locks on all that you own. You can also specify the lock number you want when you buy the bags btw. Not having to lock the cases when you shut them like Givi etc is also a great thing. I have a huge Kappa topcase I use for shopping and I pulled the barrel out of the lock and removed the innards so it can be locked with the bike key - or any other bit of thin flat metal. The bags do sell quickly on ebay etc.

·
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just checked out H&B website and you are spot on! Yes, I can key-alike both set of side cases. Another great tip ...

Thanks again for sharing ... very useful tips.

I will put these on eBay very soon.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have used the Hepco-Becker 30 liter Juniors on my Moto Guzzi Sport for the past 8-years. I now have them on my '17 R1200R. I feel they are superior to the BMW bags and more aesthetically pleasing. I have photos but the site is asking me to resize them. Not sure how.

·
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have used the Hepco-Becker 30 liter Juniors on my Moto Guzzi Sport for the past 8-years. I now have them on my '17 R1200R. I feel they are superior to the BMW bags and more aesthetically pleasing. I have photos but the site is asking me to resize them. Not sure how.

Tryengel, I am very happy with H&B Juniors (30&40) and really like the way they look on my bike. Frames are very sturdy with quick lease fittings. I tend to leave frames attached. The main feature that sold me is the lids open on the outside edge. BMW panniers are robust, well designed with much better locking system than H&B. However, H&B for more needs is the best overall fit. Not that it matters much but I get lots of comments on how nice the pannier look on my LC. The 30 litre bags are just that little bit small but it forces me to pack lite. That's a good thing for this serial over-packer......

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I did a three-week excursion on a rented R1200R with the OE bags. Beyond the aesthetics I did not like the shelf at the bottom of the interior. Stuff kept getting pinned under it; it also took away from the carrying capacity. I seldom lock my H-B panniers and a key isn't required to open them - unlike the OE bags. I to get compliments on how well the bags go with the bike.

·
2,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did a three-week excursion on a rented R1200R with the OE bags. Beyond the aesthetics I did not like the shelf at the bottom of the interior. Stuff kept getting pinned under it; it also took away from the carrying capacity. I seldom lock my H-B panniers and a key isn't required to open them - unlike the OE bags. I to get compliments on how well the bags go with the bike.

I think the pannier designers tried to overcome the clam opening issues with a shelf. I recon it would work for most but for my application it just wouldn't work. I have complete a few longish trips with my H&B 30s and couldn't be happier. I got lots of comments how well they suit the bike. I haven't completed a trip with the 40s yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The shelf works great IF you are putting a helmet in or using the BMW inner bags. I had the inner bags and loved the system. Expensive, though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts