BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a great deal of thought over several months and a test ride at Christmas, I finally bought an R1200R and it was delivered last week. Cue snow, ice and, worst of all, copious amounts of council road salt. So, I have decided to wait awhile before subjecting the bike to the British weather. Any tips for the best way to clean it when I do venture out? Advice gratefully received. The R1200R looks hellish difficult to clean compared with my classic Guzzi!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd reccomend getting a mud sling by machine art moto. This little flap does wonders for keeping road junk off your ride.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It is an easy bike to clean. I set it up in my drive way and use car shampoo with a soft cloth to wash it. I start at the top of the bike and work my way down. I clean paint and plastics first and finish with engine. It doesn't take that long to wash the bike.

Congrats on the new bike, you will really love this bike as you ride it more. Happy and safe riding.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Ricardo, Welcome! If you have a windscreen, you might want to get a special windscreen cleaner (search the list for RainZip) as Rain X for car windshields will corrode the plastic. Also, consider getting a LOUD horn like the Stebel Nautilus (139db!) to add to the BMW's weeny-horn.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Hey Ricardo,
Congrats on your new toy, I'm most likely not the best to give advice in motorcycle cleaning, I ride it but rarely clean it.

If they ever bring something like this close to where I live, then I'll consider having a cleaner bike.

Don't forget to watch the video.

Moto Express Wash > Home

·
Premium Member
862 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
Hi Ricardo, congratulations on getting the bike. The only difficult bits to wash are between the fins on the rocker covers. A soft brush and plenty of soapy water does the job.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. Looking forward to a good year on my first Beemer. Let's hope it's a dry one! Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts