BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Just thought I should introduce myself.

I've lived in the UK, Singapore and in the USA (NY) and always had bikes. Past bikes include: Yamaha RS125, Honda 400 Dream, CB550F2, CX500, Kawasaki Z750, VF750, VFR750, Suzuki TS250, Yamaha TT600, R1, KTM 950SM and now, a new R1200R .

I had hired a R1150R in Maderia a few years back and ended up really liking the bike. At first it felt a bit clunky, a bit crude, a bit slow and with little front end feel, but as the miles built up I got to like its character (and found it would pick its skirts up and fly if you asked it).

So now I have a 2012 R1200R Classic. Its a classic because I prefer the look of the engine in silver. To my surprise, and pleasure, the 1200 appears a lot better than the 1150. Its smoother, has more power and (importantly) much more front end feel. You can really chuck the thing around.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Welcome Roland,
That's a great bike history you have there.

I really like the Dream

And the CB550

I don't have any experience on the R1150 but I can tell you that the R1200 is the best ride I have experience, specially on the brake and suspension department.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Roland_O Welcome. Get up and fly on that thing!! The DOHC engine is stronger and smoother. Brakes are better than 1150 Roadsters, but the front end improvements are what really make it stand out IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Greetings and welcome. The boxer engine does take a while to get used to but is well worth it. I've had a few good trips up in the Peak District but find it spoilt by too much traffic.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoshiko: good to hear that you liked the 400 Dream. Most people don't like it because it replaced the 400/4. But it was more powerful and handled better. I loved it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dave. I haven't been here for long. No trouble with traffic on a mid-week, mid-winter's day:001_smile:. I guess its going to get busier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hoshiko

My 550 was an f2, like this one...

It had a manufacturing fault: the metal that held the carb floats had been incorrectly hardened and was too soft, so if you went over a bump, the carb float heights would alter and fuel consumption would crash. Honda couldn't fix it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts