BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please join us at the Kerrville-Schreiner City Park in Kerrville, TX, April 1st - 3rd for a couple of days of beautiful springtime in the Texas Hill Country. The rally site is on the hill side of the park. Rally camping will be in the Fawn Hide-a-Way loop; dining hall and mini-cabins are in the Midway Mini-Cabin loop. The GPS coordinates for the entrance to the Park at State Park Rd 19 and FM 173 are 30.011739, -99.122925. Note that this is NOT the same as the entrance to the river side of the park which is on the opposite side of FM 173. Rally Check In opens at noon in the dining hall in the Midway Mini-Cabin Loop on April 1st. The HCH 2022 is a rain or shine event.

Rally fee of $40 includes 2 nights tent camping, Friday and Saturday night dinner, poker run (with additional $5 entry fee) on Saturday, and door prizes and awards Saturday night. In addition, you are situated in the middle of some of the best riding in Central Texas, just minutes from Hwy 16 and the Three Sisters.

Rally Accommodations

Camping – tent site included in rally fee. Fawn loop sites #45-#65. Sites have tables, plenty of trees and there is water available nearby. This is a tent only area. There is a rest room with showers in the Fawn Hide-a-Way Loop.

Cabins – For an additional fee there are a limited number of cabins available (Midway Mini cabins 17-23) situated around rally central. Each has sleeping for 4 (2 bunkbeds), tables, chairs, electrical outlets, heating and AC. Cabins are FCFS, so don’t delay.

RV – Note: RV’s are not allowed in the Fawn Hide-a-Way rally camping area - there are RV sites available in the park in nearby loops. These sites must be reserved and paid for through the park. You can see availability and reserve here https://registerb.parksreconline.com...ml?ccode=TXKER

Hotels – There are numerous hotels/motels in nearby Kerrville. Here’s a link to a listing http://www.kerrvilletexascvb.com/bus...accommodations

Online registration begins January 1st to March 25th - $40 per person - through the link sabmwra.org/hch2022 . After March 25th - $50 onsite by cash or check only.

For more information or to register go to our website, WWW.SABMWRA.ORG and click on the rally page. General questions can be directed to Mike Makowski [[email protected]] or Bill Edwards [[email protected]].

** Advanced registration of $40 ends March 25th. Registration after that time is onsite only and is $50 at the gate, cash or check only. We look forward to seeing you in Kerrville! The HCH 2022 is a rain or shine event.**

·
Registered
217 Posts
Huh. I love riding the Sisters.

OTOH the last time I rode with a BMW group they told me not to ride with them again.

Reactions: Chad66

·
Registered
479 Posts
OTOH the last time I rode with a BMW group they told me not to ride with them again.
Hey, may I ask why? Riding too fast for them?:p I just went to one BMW rally, precisely there, but it was a while back. I could have kept up with the group in my freaking bicycle. Ha ha. So went on my own the next day... but there were cops EVERYWHERE. Plus it wasn't fun catching up to a dozen slow riders in the twisties, unable to pass them. And yes, also met a couple of riders in my freaking lane; fortunately, not so deep to have a head-on, but too close for comfort, as I had to get dangerously close to the edge of the road, to avoid them. Needless to say, it was my first and last rally. So I'll make sure not to go on those days. Ha ha.

Seriously, I always go on weekdays anyway, where there's hardly any traffic and/or cops. Much more enjoyable, and most importantly, much safer. I don't rocket from corner to corner (just keeping the pace), but like to tackle the twisties at a good clip.

If you plan to go there, and want company, let me know. I always ride my own pace, and in a safe manner. I typically go there with my cousin from Miami, but he couldn't make it this year, and I didn't feel like going alone. Plus I didn't have my trailer yet, and didn't want to slab 550 miles each way (just got my new trailer, so I'm ready now:D). I'm easy to catch up with, if ahead, since I also like to enjoy the scenery at a sedate pace. And with faster riders, I sometimes enjoy picking up the pace and keep up if safe, but if too crazy a pace, I just stay back, and catch up a few seconds later. My routes are about 300 miles, typically staying in Kerrville. One is 39, 187, and then 337 at Vanderpool to Leakey (the best stretch). Fuel up there, then up and down 336 (I make a U-turn when it gets straight), then 337 to Campwood, then up and down 335, and either trace back at that point, or go 12 miles up 55 to the high-speed sweepers and back (at the top, where they end), which adds about 25 miles (so from 275 to 300 or so total). The other route is via 16 and then all 337 until Vanderpool (about same daily mileage), doing the same thing after that. I haven't had luck finding nice roads in other areas (like Blanco), but let me know if I'm missing something around there.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I had a similar experience with another BMW group. They said I was too slow…but they were easily going 15-25 mph OVER the speeds they claimed the group would limit themselves to. So, in spite of multiple riding level groups, they chose to go faster than advertised and was surprised they were exceeding someone’s “comfort zone” for going fast.

What is it with camping? So many BMW functions are based on campsites. Sorry…I’m done with sleeping in the weather.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey, may I ask why?
Having never seen me before they put me in front of the sweep the same way I'd put a rider I'd never ridden with. Apparently passing all of the group and the car they were afraid to pass in one glorious WFO blast is Just Not Done. I politely waited for them at the top of Canyon of the Eagles where the ride lead solemnly Took Me Aside For A Talk.

Oh well, life is too short.

Any time there is any type of organized event the Sisters area is flooded with badged revenuers. Even the Border Patrol pitches in now that they no longer care about the... what is it again... border. Weekdays and out of season weekends when the Classic American Motorcycle crowd isn't clogging the roads are fun. The roads that make it worth the trip aren't really speed roads anyway. My fave is 335 in the stretch where it's twisty in two axes.

The Three Sisters loop is a <500 mile round trip ride from my place in Round Rock. There are some fun roads SE of them and a good south route out there though I usually return north to avoid passing through Austin when I'm getting tired.

·
Registered
217 Posts
<snip> go 12 miles up 55 to the high-speed sweepers and back (at the top, where they end), which adds about 25 miles
The First Rule of 55 Club is don't talk about 55 Club.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
"What is it with camping? So many BMW functions are based on campsites. Sorry…I’m done with sleeping in the weather."

Please check out the cabins located in the central area of the rally location! You don't have to sleep out in the weather! Each cabin will sleep 4 in bunkbeds, are heated, air conditioned, have 120 volt electrical outlets, and come with a table and 4 chairs. Each cabin area also has a fire pit. The cabins will be first come, first served when registration opens on January 1st though.

·
Registered
501 Posts
A few good places to eat when you're in the area.
Billy Gene's in Kerrville. Billy Gene's Restaurant | Flavors of the Texas Hill Country

Alamo Springs Cafe near the Old Tunnel SP just off of the Old San Antonio Rd. Alamo Springs Cafe - Best Burger in Fredericksburg

Hill Top Cafe northwest of Fredericksburg on 87. Hill Top Cafe, Fredericksburg, Texas
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Lost Maples Cafe in Utopia
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Chess Club on the south side of Blanco
Wheel Tire Sky Plant Vehicle

Plant Building Tree Shade Land lot

Bent Rim at Leaky has a decent burger
Plant Sky Tire Automotive tire Tree

OST in Bandera
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Sky Land vehicle

Picture frame Natural material Lighting Building Wood

This year Chicken Earls in Leaky was open for lunch Tuesday and Friday.
This is a outside place so check in the spring to see if they're open.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If you're not local and plan to go, show up with decent tires. The coarse chip-seal roads in the area eat tires pretty fast.
If you need tires Destination Cycle in Kerrville can fix you up.

A couple times we had tires shipped to our motel and Destination mounted them for us.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The First Rule of 55 Club is don't talk about 55 Club.
Agreed. Ha ha. It's a great place to test your motorcycle's high-speed handling, and with 4 lanes, you have an extra lane as a safety margin, so super safe in that regard. But in order to test the bike, you have to go well above the speed limit, so I usually just do it once. Don't want to push my luck. Ha ha. I've done that area about 5 times after that 1st rally, and never seen a cop so far (hope it stays that way), but I've gone on weekdays. Last time last November (2020), I arrived on Saturday, and was surprised to see ZERO traffic on Sunday. My cousin couldn't do all weekdays, so we did Sunday to Wednesday, and basically no traffic. Weather was perfect for riding. Before that, we hit the Big Bend area for 3 days, staying in Marfa, and it was awesome. I really enjoy the Ft Davis mountain, the twisties on 17 (11 miles and back from Ft Davis), the awesome river road from Presidio to Lajitas, and the Big Bend awesome road to Santa Elena, with lunch at the Chisos Mountain lodge. We did the entire park, but the Santa Elena road is all you really need. Can't wait to be back to try the new bike :).

·
Registered
68 Posts
man that sounds and looks like a great time for all. two problems 1) it's in Texas, aka a long long way from Portland Oregon.. 2) I'll be in Kamiah Idaho that weekend for an annual ride I've attended for over ten years, showing off my new to me and the ride Classic.
I had a cruiser group disown me after I mentioned you could go through a posted 45mph curve faster than 35mph and you didn't need to slow down mid-turn neither. I think I may have been on "probation" after passing 16 or so of them on a dbl. yellow after getting way too bored in the back.

·
Registered
501 Posts
or go 12 miles up 55 to the high-speed sweepers and back (at the top, where they end),
We like hwy 55 between Barksdale and Rocksprings.
Like a lot of Hill Country roads the speed limit is 75 then drops to 55 near the sweepers.
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Cloud Plant

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT
115 Posts
This sounds like a great weekend but no more group rides for me, especially with strangers and yahoo’s. Too much testosterone for my liking. Besides, there are plenty of great roads within a 200 mile radius of my house — no need to travel outside my area just to have a little fun.

·
Registered
479 Posts
You're lucky to live in CO. For many of us, the THC (Texas Hill Country) is one of the closest places with great roads to ride. I want to ride in CO again; hopefully next year, now that I just got a trailer :).

·
Registered
819 Posts
This sounds like a great weekend but no more group rides for me, especially with strangers and yahoo’s. Too much testosterone for my liking. Besides, there are plenty of great roads within a 200 mile radius of my house — no need to travel outside my area just to have a little fun.
I‘m in a similar boat. I’m within a day’s ride of some of the best roads in the Southeast (The Dragon can be done in a day if I get up early enough). Traveling for the roads just isn’t worth it like it used to be.

Where I’m different is that when I go to a shindig, I want to do stuff with others. Doesn’t have to be a large group ride…maybe 1 or 2 others to share the day with. I didn’t come for the roads…I came for the people. The time spent talking with others, their interests, their jobs, etc. at breakfast and dinner, and sharing the day’s ride with someone makes it worth it for me. Heck, I’ll even tolerate hanging with slower people to share the day with someone.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Where I’m different is that when I go to a shindig, I want to do stuff with others. Doesn’t have to be a large group ride…maybe 1 or 2 others to share the day with. I didn’t come for the roads…I came for the people. The time spent talking with others, their interests, their jobs, etc. at breakfast and dinner, and sharing the day’s ride with someone makes it worth it for me. Heck, I’ll even tolerate hanging with slower people to share the day with someone.
When we go to a event we usually ride by ourself during the day but really enjoy visiting with others in the morning and night.
This rally is slightly early for us leaving and returning to Iowa. We usually go to the Hill Country mid April and sometimes it's in the teens or twenties when we leave.
Two times we went late March, early April and it was just too cold.

The nice thing about early to mid April in the Hill Country is all the wild flowers.

Flower Plant Plant community Sky Nature

Tire Wheel Flower Plant Vehicle

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There are some great roads around Kerrville and the surrounding area that those not from the area would be very surprised with. Our Poker Run will include a number of those very rural roads that have little traffic. This is not a
"group ride". The window to complete the Poker Run will probably be from 9AM until 4PM. It's 122 miles long and will take approximately 2.5 to 3 hours to complete. For those not familiar with Poker Runs, our version will work something like this: You’ll be given a written sheet with riding directions from the starting point in the park to the finish at the same location. Along the route you’ll be asked to collect answers to specific questions about places on the route or simply take pictures of the same that answer the questions. For every correct answer or picture, once you return to the scorer’s table, you’ll be able to draw a card from a standard deck of 52 cards up to a max of 7 cards if you get all the selected answers / pictures. There will also be a bonus question and if you get all the correct answers and the bonus, you’ll be eligible to draw an 8th card to make the best 5 card hand you can. The best 5 card hand wins the pot. The pot will be seeded with a $100 bill to get the contest going. All entries will be required to ante $5 to that pot and the pot builds from there. So, the more entries, the bigger the pot!

A scoring summary follows:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Poker Run Scoring
7 Card Stud
Best 5 Card Hand Wins

The Pot starts with a $100 bill. Each entrant will have to ante $5 to compete. The total pot value to the winner will be the sum of the $100 and each $5 entry.

There are 10 possible bonus items / locations on this Poker Run. Simply answer each question (marked by an X) about the item / location on your route instruction sheet OR take a photo of the item / location - either is acceptable, but a photo is preferred. When you return to the scorer’s table you will draw a playing card for each bonus you successfully record up to a maximum of 7 cards, whether you answer the question about the bonus or simply take a photo. If you only successfully record 4 items / locations correctly, you will only be able to draw 4 cards; 5 correct submissions will net you 5 cards; 6 = 6 cards, and so on up to a full draw of 7 cards for 7 correct bonus submissions.

If you successfully net ALL 10 of the bonus locations AND you can accurately submit the exact number of XXXXXXXXXX you encounter on the entire route, you are eligible to draw an 8th card from which you can choose your best 5 card hand.

There is no reason for you to have to dismount your motorcycle to either record your answer or take a photo. Most of these locations allow a sufficient off road / right of way area for you to record your answer or take your photo.

Most of these roads are country back roads, Farm to Market Roads, Ranch Roads, or tertiary roads, and have very little traffic, but farming / ranching equipment may be in use on some of them. It’s a very beautiful route with lots of curves and hills and changing scenery / topography.

Have Fun and ride Safely!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
My problem is sometimes I like to ride fast, sometimes I like to ride slow and sometimes like to stop for pictures.
Living in Iowa we don't ride locally but we like visiting other states.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Most of these roads are country back roads, Farm to Market Roads, Ranch Roads, or tertiary roads, and have very little traffic, but farming / ranching equipment may be in use on some of them. It’s a very beautiful route with lots of curves and hills and changing scenery / topography.

Have Fun and ride Safely!!
That's the other thing we like about that area. A lot of the back road have no traffic. You can stop on a road for a picture and no vehicles drive by.
The other neat thing, if the road has a hard surface shoulder vehicles will drive on the shoulder when they see you approaching from behind them making it easy to pass.
Do you know Steve and Helen from Blanco. I think they usually go to this rally.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, I know them. They are members of SABMWRA, our local association.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts