BMW R1200R Forum banner

How about a picture of your tail bag?

6K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  Giobatta 
#1 ·
Before Panzerman (or others) gets all worked up, my searches came up empty, even with the simplest words: 'tail bag'. Only 12 hits, and 9 were from my threads (where I mentioned I wanted one), and 3 others from shiftcam threads, that got in there somehow. Not a single picture or post about actual tail bags.

Anyway, need to buy a tail bag today, since I have nowhere to put my water bottle, liner, etc. So far the Nelson Rigg commuter sport tail bag is winning, because I think that's what the lady on this Arrow exhaust video has (go to 1:15): . And seems to fit the way I like it: under the passenger seat, and with buckles for easy detachment.

But let's see what you've got :)... and details what it is (description, links, etc). Thank you guys.

EDIT: I wanted to like that Arrow exhaust, because it's HALF the SC1-R, but don't think it sounds as nice. Could be the video, no? I also liked that it has a welded link pipe, vs the springs on the SC1-R (needs to be sealed, according to an owner, due to leaks).

#3 ·
So far the Nelson Rigg commuter sport tail bag is winning, because I think that's what the lady on this Arrow exhaust video has
I used one of those for day rides a few years. Good bag for not much money.

Wood Audio equipment Tints and shades Gadget Rectangle

Audio equipment Gadget Wood Rectangle Musical instrument accessory

The divider is removable.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Bag

Rain cover is bulky.
Wood Material property Luggage and bags Tints and shades Bag

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive parking light

Reactions: Cyclerosis
#4 ·
Chase Harper expandable tank bag. ~25 years old, on its fifth bike. Carries enough to support leading a group, a high speed/low drag weekend, or bring home take out and a six pack. Looks old and I had to supplement the worn out flap velcro with stretch cord and a clip but it otherwise works great.

I'm one of those people that buys good stuff, takes care of it, and keeps it forever. My Tacoma has 319K miles :)

Luggage and bags Bag Gas Personal protective equipment Auto part

Reactions: Hndymn
#6 ·
Thank you guys. I can't ride the bike (far) because I don't have a freaking tail bag, so didn't want to wait any longer. Ordered the Commuter Sport S2, which is the new version, with buckles, so significantly improved over the maligned D-ring model. Should get it by Friday. Plan to hit the mountains before it gets too cold, on a long day ride. Will try to rent a U-Haul trailer so I don't have to slab it for 120 miles each way, so I can break it in better without slabbing. Need to order my Kendon trailer tomorrow.

#8 ·
I wanted something that fit the lines of my bike better than most bags I've seen. Finally landed on a Held tailbag that was only available in the UK. I think it looks pretty swell, and it easily zips off its base and has a messenger bag-style strap for carrying. Also comes with a rain sock, though here in LA it means I've probably already lost the thing. Only downside - it's small. Even when in expanded mode, it can be pretty tight. But the upside, it's forced me to make a very compact safety/tool kit. Fits that, a full size water bottle, and sunglasses without expanding it.

Automotive tire Shelf Hood Tire Wheel
Luggage and bags Automotive design Bag Grey Eyewear

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

#10 ·
This is the 1200R I rented in Boulder which had panniers and a top case, all of which I removed for a run to Estes Park. The SV650 my son rented had a Nelson Rigg Commuter bag that I commandeered and it was the perfect size for a day trip. I also prefer the straps under the seat. I have a great Wolfman bag that I used on my GS but it has bungees and is a general PIA to hook up to the R.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car

#12 ·
Well, I'm
The SV650 my son rented had a Nelson Rigg Commuter bag that I commandeered and it was the perfect size for a day trip.
Good to hear, since mine is on the way :). I'm glad I found it, since it seems superior to the Ogio one I used for decades in every way, except I'll miss the 2 side pockets it had, to put the garage remote, extra ear plugs, etc.

Hey, so you rode in Boulder? Awesome. We were there last month on vacation, and REALLY missed not having a bike to ride some incredible roads I drove. The Estes Park roads are nice, but not the best by any means. The best was one with tons of medium speed twisties (the ones you can take around 55 dragging pegs, so a little slower at a great pace), which are my favorites, since you can take them pretty aggressively, but without going stupid fast). If you see Boulder on google maps, there are tons of awesome roads around. Hwy 119 to Nederland looks incredible. Hope to be able to ride those roads in the future, and preferably with my bike (on the trailer). My gear couldn't fit anyway, since we were loaded to the gills with my 2 daughters and wife, so next time. Hey, did you use riders-share, or twisted road? And how bad were the fees? Are you able to use your insurance with rental bikes, like you can with cars? Just curious. Thanks.

For me the reason is that, the R has cases available, you can do the two side cases, one rear top case, or all three.
Hey, if you want that, just buy a GoldWing. Ha ha. The allure of a naked is to, well, have it naked. Ha ha. I immediately removed the bag mounts on my bike, and would never put an ugly top case on it, even if somebody paid me:p. All I need is a decently sized tail bag (which I just bought). If I need more crap (like to tour), I'd just take the SUV, and trailer the bike. But seriously, for those who want to use the bike as a touring machine, it's certainly capable of it, since it's basically an RT sans the bodywork, with the same outrageous (for a motorcycle) cargo capacity of 487 lbs. Plus no freaking chain to lube/adjust while on a trip.

#11 ·
You won't see as many tail bags on r1200r's as on other nakeds. For me the reason is that, the R has cases available, you can do the two side cases, one rear top case, or all three. They can be OEM or aftermarket.

For my rides and errands, I much prefer a hard, lockable case. Sure, I'm not going to leave very valuable things in it, but even if you're going into a restaurant or going for a walk, it's nice not to worry.

The case convenience of the R series is very rare among naked bikes.

#13 ·
We just traveled through Estes Park and grabbed lunch but the traffic was terrible. Here's a map of our trip (cell service was a bit spotty). We rode 119 from Boulder and the pic I posted with the bag was taken in Nederland. We were going to loop around but 7 was closed for construction. Rather than finishing on the slab, we turned around in Lyons and ran it backwards. Definitely the best roads I've ever had the opportunity to ride in my limited travels.

Map World Slope Atlas Parallel

I considered Twisted Road but the fees were quite a bit higher than Riders-Share. Obviously, daily rates depend on the bike and owner. I paid less than $100 per day for a 2017 R1200R including all fees and insurance with a $100 deductible. I didn't even check with my insurance company since I thought it the optional Riders-Share insurance was reasonable. Would definitely recommend!

#15 ·
We rode 119 from Boulder and the pic I posted with the bag was taken in Nederland.
I considered Twisted Road but the fees were quite a bit higher than Riders-Share.
Sounds like you rode probably the best roads there, so nice. And with your son, so even better :). And thank you for info on Riders-share. You cannot see the fees unless you rent, so it's a bit frustrating. But now I know. Plus I didn't like that Twisted Road makes the rider responsible for transportation charges if bike breaks down without being his fault. That doesn't sound fair, but maybe Riders-share is the same. Who knows. I was going to rent one from them for the Hill Country, but now I have my bike :). Just need to buy the trailer. Ha ha.

I have that exact bag on my 1250R.
Great testimonial; thanks. I don't ride in the rain, so not a big concern. If I ever get caught in it, at least there's a cover, so it should protect it fine. Hey Rob, would you mind posting a picture of the bottom of your seat, to see how you strapped the bag? That would save me some time trying to figure out how to do it :). Hope you don't mind. Thanks brother.

#16 ·
Before Panzerman (or others) gets all worked up, my searches came up empty, even with the simplest words: 'tail bag'. Only 12 hits, and 9 were from my threads (where I mentioned I wanted one), and 3 others from shiftcam threads, that got in there somehow. Not a single picture or post about actual tail bags.

Anyway, need to buy a tail bag today, since I have nowhere to put my water bottle, liner, etc. So far the Nelson Rigg commuter sport tail bag is winning, because I think that's what the lady on this Arrow exhaust video has (go to 1:15): . And seems to fit the way I like it: under the passenger seat, and with buckles for easy detachment.

But let's see what you've got :)... and details what it is (description, links, etc). Thank you guys.
Musical instrument accessory Bag Peripheral Luggage and bags Input device
Ok. I've got you covered in this one.
Plus 1 for the Held tail bag mentioned above. The anti-fanny pack for your bike. Sold everywhere. Everywhere, that is, where it's actually in stock. You didn't mention what bike you have, but I can tell you it looks great on my R1200R. (I'll take a sexy photo of it in the daylight for you.) It's sleek and yet expandable when it needs to be. Even in its swept wing configuration I can still fit a 16oz bottle of Yoo-Hoo (the drink of champions), Snickers bar, earplugs, duct tape, eyeglass case and a hat.
Buy one and your riding buddies will stop feeling sorry for you.

#17 ·
Thanks. Bike is a '16 r12. TBH, it's the only soft tailbag I've found that doesn't look like a construction worker's insulated lunch box. :)

Also - damn! When I bought it I couldn't find it available in the US, and now it's everywhere. WTH!

#18 ·
It looks really nice, but way too small for me. The commuter sport (S2) I bought is perfect. And doesn't look bad at all either, with its domed top. And what I liked about it is that it retains its shape even if empty; something the Ogio I used to have (also with buckles) didn't. It's an excellent value for what you get IMO.

#20 ·
I actually had the nelson-rigg s2 on my z900rs. For bikes like that, where the manufacturer provides no rack option for top cases, it's ok, kind of a minimum solution. The R is a different level of bike with its versatility. A case is weatherproof, lockable and secure when parked and secure at high speeds. I sometimes ride with a passenger, she also feels more comfortable with the top case backrest.

In my view, strap mounted bags are a band-aid. They are good for when you renting, or when you have bikes where the design does not make adding cases easy (i.e. cheaper naked bikes). For the R, they don't make sense to me. A $100 bag on a $20k bike. We already paid BMW for the versatility of being able to add a case or three. And no, one case doesn't make the R into a goldwing.

We all make different choices.

#21 ·
I wouldn't put cases (and even less, a top case. Ha ha) on my bike, even if free. Heck, not even if I got paid. My ex-RT handled like crap with them (and weaved in fast corners), so used them just once. They made the bike ultra wide too. And a top box would be an even worse choice for me; HATE those things. Ha ha. Plus I always ride solo, so no passsenger benefit. So yes, to each his own :). I'd agree with you if we had a giant duffle bag strapped, and ugly soft bags on the side. But to just pack a water bottle, extra pair of gloves, and an extra liner, and/or rain gear, all you need is a tail bag. And you can go top speed with it, if you wanted.

#24 ·
There are a couple riders here that have them. If I was rich, I'd have one too.
Those are nice, but way too small, brother. I think they're like 9 liters. What's wrong with a nice looking tailbag? You can remove them in seconds, if not used. And hold what I need (the S2 is 16/22). I'm not trying to impress anybody. Or win a motorcycle fashion contest. Ha ha. By the way, there's something I can't stand even less than side and top cases: A tank bag. I like my bikes clean in front of me, especially a naked/roadster. So will continue using a tail bag, which have always served me well, and don't affect the handling of the bike... and to me, look better than any cases/top box :).

#23 ·
Here are some options

#29 ·
That SW-Motech is nice, but can you ride like that? I installed mine right at the pillion seat seam, and was still uncomfortable, with it hitting (and sweating) my back all the time. So already adjusted it to sit behind the seam, with part of it sitting over the taillight housing, but still fits and looks perfect. I'm just not comfortable sitting more forward; need that space to have a slight lean forward (it's perfect for me), and the seat stop to ride the twisties. It's just about perfect right now. Just wish the seat surface was a bit grippier, like with a texture. But sitting against the seat stop worked perfectly, so all is well :).

#31 ·
I'm not large at all (5'10" & 162#), but both the seat, and riding position, are more comfortable at the rear of the seat for me. I only scoot forward to touch the ground (my inseam is only 31"), where the seat is quite narrow for comfort IMO, but to each his own, of course;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.