BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, my engine has just been replaced and I was having issues with the ambiant temperature sensor.

Turns out it has been carelessly zip tied to the frame with the tip touching the radiator...

The whole area seems pretty messy so I would be very glad if you could share pictures of your factory-assembled bike so I can see what it is supposed to look like.

Thank you very much!

Here is mine :

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you it helps !

So the sensor should go where the black and wight connector is, and that shoudl fix my temperature reading issues.... but where does the black and white connector go ? ^^

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
95 Posts
Teasing you..

I'm not following what you mean. Which connector? Where?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Teasing you..

I'm not following what you mean. Which connector? Where?
On your picture the air temperature sensor (the thing that looks like a small antenna) is on the top right corner.

On mine at the same emplacement there is a connection with a black connector connected to a white one.

I can't see this connector on your picture, so I assume it must be somewhere else, maybe hidden under the tank...

·
Registered
95 Posts
"but where does the black and white connector go ?"

I've only had this bike for 4 months. Unfortunately I don't know where it is "supposed" to go, sorry. Maybe someone else knows?

"It" can go where ever you want it be, can't it? It is just an electrical connector and location shouldn't really matter imo.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"but where does the black and white connector go ?"

I've only had this bike for 4 months. Unfortunately I don't know where it is "supposed" to go, sorry. Maybe someone else knows?

"It" can go where ever you want it be, can't it? It is just an electrical connector and location shouldn't really matter imo.
They indeed could go wherever I want, but they may have dedicated mounting point, designed to protect them and their cables from being damaged.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've invariably gone back and have redone every electrical mod I've ever done on the bikes. I always seem to "see" a better way to do something after the fact.

I suppose it is just the way I'm 'wired'...haha.

·
Registered
191 Posts
[email protected]
Just turn the probe back upright and zip tie it to another wire bundle. tima's picture shows a dedicated mount for the sensor. Then test ride to see if your diagnosis is correct. I have installed lights and remounted the GPS cradle/wiring. None of the wires are in OEM placement. I do make absolutely sure nothing impinges the wiring I install and zip tie it securely. Maybe if you have a maintenance schedule that requires removal of gas tank panels, then you can re-route the wiring?

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Do you have the OEM Nav cradle? If so, I wonder if the white connector is for that and if someone has relocated it from its normal spot on the right side above the radiator cap, over to the left side. I've heard of people doing that in order to move the cradle from the centre of the bars higher and over to the left.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you have the OEM Nav cradle? If so, I wonder if the white connector is for that and if someone has relocated it from its normal spot on the right side above the radiator cap, over to the left side. I've heard of people doing that in order to move the cradle from the centre of the bars higher and over to the left.
I don't have it.
And the wiring is a mess since the BMW staff took it apart to replace the engine.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was finally able to put everything back where it should be.
The black and white connector runs to the gas cap so I'm pretty sure it's the electrical cap lock for the keyless system.
It's original place is on a plastic sliding mounting point under the metal bracket that connect the body panel to the frame, just above the radiator.

There was a second connector with a cover on it on the same bracket. It must be for the GPS cradle that was never fitted on my bike.

Here is what it looks like now :

·
Registered
82 Posts
Whoever did the job should get a complaint from you, that was proper incompetent. I hope they didn’t mess around with anything else. Was that done at a dealer?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Whoever did the job should get a complaint from you, that was proper incompetent. I hope they didn’t mess around with anything else. Was that done at a dealer?
It was done at my usual BMW dealer.

I gave them a bad evaluation on their satisfaction survey and so the chief mechanic call me back and I told him what was wrong...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts