BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Keep your throttle and clutch friction point relatively set (dont use these as the primary method to regulate your speed in the tightest part of the turn) and use your rear brake to do so. And in a sense yes, keep your body as practical as possible at right angles to the road surface but stay loose and flexible in the shoulders and hips, turn your head to where you want to go (around a roundabout for example) and push the bikes bars away from your body (like a motor cross rider would). By this I dont mean excessively, but the action is to push the bike away from your body towards the road, rather than position your body to the inside of the bike (closer to the road) as you would in higher speed cornering. This is generally only for low speed/tight maneuvers but can also be used to good effect on very tight corners (say 25-35kp/h). The idea is to keep the drivetrain loaded and so keep the bike a little more settled and the rear brake will help the the bike to turn in tighter, something that can be useful in high speed cornering also.

The caveat is to practice in safe conditions because overuse of the rear brake can also cause it to lock. A public car park when the facility it is serving is closed is a good place. This is a good time to practice feet up U turns.

Here’s a but of tongue in cheek stuff
Yep, agree with this method. I was taught it by the Stay Upright guys many, many years ago. Makes low speed riding more controllable around town and does work well in tight bends out on the road as well.

Discussion starter · #22 ·
Keep your throttle and clutch friction point relatively set (dont use these as the primary method to regulate your speed in the tightest part of the turn) and use your rear brake to do so. And in a sense yes, keep your body as practical as possible at right angles to the road surface but stay loose and flexible in the shoulders and hips, turn your head to where you want to go (around a roundabout for example) and push the bikes bars away from your body (like a motor cross rider would). By this I dont mean excessively, but the action is to push the bike away from your body towards the road, rather than position your body to the inside of the bike (closer to the road) as you would in higher speed cornering. This is generally only for low speed/tight maneuvers but can also be used to good effect on very tight corners (say 25-35kp/h). The idea is to keep the drivetrain loaded and so keep the bike a little more settled and the rear brake will help the the bike to turn in tighter, something that can be useful in high speed cornering also.

The caveat is to practice in safe conditions because overuse of the rear brake can also cause it to lock. A public car park when the facility it is serving is closed is a good place. This is a good time to practice feet up U turns.

Here’s a but of tongue in cheek stuff

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwH9hYwnei8
That is good info but I was going more like 40-56 kph.... probably closer to 56 so that technique wouldn't have worked in my situation.

I do practice slow speed maneuvers in my condo parking garage. I have improved but still got a ways to go.

I have been riding for 10 years. I admit that there are things I still quite a few things I haven't mastered.

Reactions: mikeS
I have been riding for 10 years. I admit that there are still quite a few things I haven't mastered.
I always figured that once one had mastered everything to do with some pastime or other, it was time to give it up and move on to the next one. Over 50 years and I'm still riding, which should tell you something about my mastery of this one :wink2:

Funny to read this, as something like this just happened to me on Friday morning.
It was our annual trip around Tasmania and we decided to go anti-clockwise this time.

We approached a little town called Rosebery, and we were travelling at a decent pace, but nothing silly.
Came around a right hand corner and felt a "squishy" sensation on the front wheel and before I knew what it was, the bike started sliding, fishtailing and steering towards the barrier.
I put my right foot down, applied some brake and ended up getting the bike bike back in the right direction.
The guy riding behind me called only Marc Marquez from that moment, as he couldn't believe that I saved the bike, as I was apparently sideways through the corner.

The local council had just resurfaced the road and forgot to put warning signs up! I must have hit a soft patch of bitumen mixed with a lot of gravel.
I was lucky, two other riders of the same group crashed, but were able to continue the ride with a lot of tape and cable ties applied.

I firmly believe that the electronics on the bike had a major play in me being able to save the bike, but also that I steered the bike with my foot around the corner.

All the training is fine and good, but when you get caught in such an incident, it is hard to stay calm and collected.
Slow manoeuvring techniques have nothing to do with incidents at speed.

That exact scenario caught me out a few years ago, downhill shaded 35kph right hander, a corner I ride frequently, but they had just done a spray and seal and left several inches of gravel sitting on top. It wasnt helped by the fact that I sit wide on the entry so closer to the edge where the gravel was thicker and with less run off (unless you call Armco run off).

Yep, sometimes the conditions conspire against you, no matter the skill set, practice and training.

Similar conditions here every spring (if spring ever comes). Winter road conditions mean that lots of sand (mixed with salt) is used and as winter starts to ease its grip, normal 4-wheeled road traffic tends to throw all that sand to the centre and outside of corners. God help you if you run a bit wide in the springtime on a twisty road at any kind of speed. You're in the proverbial weeds before you know it. And the weeds here on some roads are 30-foot spruce trees. Very, umm, scratchy :frown2:

The off-road training I mentioned earlier comes in handy for :001_9898: like that.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.