BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First keyless bike here, so bear with me :). I was surprised there is no way to use a dead fob for an emergency start, like on 4-wheel vehicles. So to be fully protected for that eventuality, we'd have to do 2 things. First, have a spare CR2032 battery, which I already put with the manual. But if that fails, meaning fob crapped out (defective, smashed, etc), we'd be screwed... so we have to carry the stupid plastic key with us... But where? I was thinking to put it with the manual too, since it'd be extremely unlikely that I lose the fob. But if I ever do, then I'd be in trouble, with the key under the seat, with no way to get to it. So guess the best strategy would be to carry it in the wallet, or somewhere off the bike. But at least in my case, the key would be in danger of getting lost, falling out of the wallet, etc. So guess I'll probably put it with the manual, and just make sure I don't lose the fob. I want to hear what you guys are doing.

Hey, I just thought of making a key to just open the seat, and hide it somewhere on the bike. That way, I'd be fully protected with the key and battery in the manual pouch, and a way to get to them if the fob is lost. But where can you cut a key like that? Thank you in advance for your help and comments.

·
Registered
149 Posts
... I was surprised there is no way to use a dead fob for an emergency start...
I might be wrong, however if not mistaken the regular fob could also be used even if its battery is dead, i.e. by placing it close to the fuel-tank or under seat just like with the plastic-key one.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you sure??? That would be great. But my owner's manual specifically says to only use the plastic (chipped) key stuck between the 2 seats, give it a few seconds, and then press the ignition button. Hopefully somebody who might have tried a dead fob can chime in. By the way, the antenna is right in the middle, so stick the plastic key there. Oh, and I'm going to try the plastic key, just to see how it works.

·
Registered
112 Posts
My plastic key stays at home for everyday use, and when I go on a long trip I put it in the pocket of a different cloth from the main key.

I also do think that the main key can be used to start the bike even with a dead battery. You will want to remove the passenger seat to put the key close to the antenna.

·
Registered
768 Posts
My plastic key is in my tool bag which is ALWAYS on the bike.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I might be wrong, however if not mistaken the regular fob could also be used even if its battery is dead, i.e. by placing it close to the fuel-tank or under seat just like with the plastic-key one.
That's correct, a fob with a dead battery will start the bike. The manual shows the exact location under the rear seat.
The fob battery is only need to extend it's range.

Reactions: rxc

·
Registered
386 Posts
I carry a non chip metal key because The seat lock is stiff and I don't want to risk braking the key on the fob.
I carry that and the plastic key in a little pouch in my pocket. I the metal key already cut is $33.
Guitar accessory Motor vehicle Line Material property Red

Gadget Font Communication Device Audio equipment Gas

I carry the fob in another pocket attached to a cord. Most of the time the fob does not leave my pocket but I use the cord to make sure I don't happen to drag the fob out when getting other items out of my pocket.
Outerwear Product Sleeve Grey Bag

·
Registered
386 Posts
Here's the correct placement for the fob.

Photograph Light Product Rectangle Screenshot

Here's the correct placement and orientation for the plastic key.
The fat part with the chip needs to be stuffed back into the seat gap.
Automotive design Personal luxury car Tints and shades Rim Auto part

·
Registered
386 Posts
If the keyless function on your gas cap fails to open the cap you can still open it by removing the two forward fasteners.
You need to remove the tank bag ring if you use one of those.
No need to remove any body work, I just used pictures I took when changing the air filter.
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Alloy wheel

Wheel Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire

By removing that piece you remove the catch.
Automotive tire Camera lens Automotive design Reflex camera Flash photography

·
Registered
184 Posts
My plastic key is securely taped to the bike in a hidden tool free access location.

Thinking I should tape a T driver for removing the fuel tank lock (see above) in the same location :)

Reactions: TimMc and Lee F

·
Registered
386 Posts
My solution was not to spec keyless in the first place.:cool:
I thought about ordering my bike without keyless but in the US now I could only do that by ordering the base model. You have the choice of a base model or one with the Premium package.
I could add things to the premium package like the sport seat, rear rack, option 19 wheels, ect.
Right not you can't even get the premium package because ESA is not available for the RS and R.
Even though my wife had some trouble with her keyless gas cap she still wanted that options.
She travels with a servant that takes care of those little problems :)

·
Registered
386 Posts
Thinking I should tape a T driver for removing the fuel tank lock (see above) in the same location :)
Yes I forgot to mention to always carry the tool or tools needed to open the cap.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's correct, a fob with a dead battery will start the bike.
May I ask if you have tried that yourself, and what year is your bike? I ask that because my manual does NOT even mention the fob. And it only shows a picture of the plastic key (see attachment), which needs to be placed in the middle of the seat indeed.[/QUOTE]

If the keyless function on your gas cap fails to open, the cap you can still open it by removing the two forward fasteners.
That's some awesome information right there. Is it in the manual? Don't remember seeing it, but I'm reading it cover to cover on the .pdf version again, in case I missed something like that. By the way, I just checked the toolkit, and the screwdriver is the correct size for those bolts, and I was able to move them both with it, so no need to carry an extra tool for that IMO (at least I won't).
Font Technology Newspaper Paper Display device

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I carry a non chip metal key because The seat lock is stiff and I don't want to risk braking the key on the fob. The metal key already cut is $33.
Hey, that's exactly what I need. Where did you get the key made for $33? I want one too. I'll leave the plastic key with the extra battery in the manual pouch, and hide the metal one somewhere. In case it gets lost, or whatever, I can replace it, and the bike cannot be started with it, so no issues. Thanks brother.

EDIT: Just placed another order with MaxBMW for the handlebar bolts (the nicer ones I ordered didn't fit), and asked Brandon about getting a key, and he said nope (only in person, and with ownership documentation). Curious if you ordered yours from the factory, or your dealer cut it there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
While changing the battery in my fob I tried to start the bike without the battery. With the dead fob under the seat the bike started normally. After turning off the engine the fuel tank opened as it should. I should say after over 6 years I’ve had no issues with the keyless system. The low battery icon in the dash gives plenty of time to change the battery. I think I went about two weeks the first time.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey, that's exactly what I need. Where did you get the key made for $33? I want one too. I'll leave the plastic key with the extra battery in the manual pouch, and hide the metal one somewhere. In case it gets lost, or whatever, I can replace it, and the bike cannot be started with it, so no issues. Thanks brother.

EDIT: Just placed another order with MaxBMW for the handlebar bolts (the nicer ones I ordered didn't fit), and asked Brandon about getting a key, and he said nope (only in person, and with ownership documentation). Curious if you ordered yours from the factory, or your dealer cut it there.
The dealer had known us for years so they ordered keys for us over the phone but with the stricter rules by BMW now I bet the will need to copy our kids to keep BMW happy.
We we bought metal non chip keys 6 years ago no documentation was needed.
I'm ok with the proof of ownership thing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I recall someone saying they remove a portion of their helmet padding then tape the plastic key to the exposed inside surface of the shell and then refit the liner. Me? I keep my transponder on a lanyard around my neck. Works for me.

I got bitten BIG time when I had to replace both the transponder and grey emergency key. Don't ask. But I was relieved of AU$472 for both, but delivery in less than 5 days from BMW Germany was impressive. And yes, had to do the proof of ownership thing with the dealer.

Which reminds me, I need to get a few spare CR2032 batteries so I have a Plan C.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
While changing the battery in my fob, I tried to start the bike without the battery. With the dead fob under the seat the bike started normally.
That's good to hear; thank you. But just to confirm, you own an R1250R, correct?

We we bought metal non chip keys 6 years ago, no documentation was needed.
They shouldn't be that strict with a key that cannot start the bike, but that's okay. I'll order one when I go get the new battery dealer ordered for me. Can't use the darn bike until I get it; I'm afraid to get stranded somewhere. Only 30 miles on the clock:).

The helmet idea to store the extra key was awesome. But since I have 2 helmets, I might forget where I put it, so will leave it on the bike, with the manual (just like an extra CR2032).

1 - 20 of 60 Posts