BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
R1250R
715 Posts
I thought about ordering my bike without keyless but in the US now I could only do that by ordering the base model. You have the choice of a base model or one with the Premium package.

I could add things to the premium package like the sport seat, rear rack, option 19 wheels, ect.

Right not you can't even get the premium package because ESA is not available for the RS and R.

Even though my wife had some trouble with her keyless gas cap she still wanted that options.

She travels with a servant that takes care of those little problems :)

Yeah I appreciate that the ordering and options system works differently across the globe. When I went to buy mine there was the choice of the fully loaded and stupidly expensive new showroom bike. When they told me I couldn’t get a new bike to my spec until the autumn, well I wasn’t interested in that either, so they tried to sell me the demo bike, but it was also fully loaded and about the same price as what I wanted brand new. So, I left and popped back a few months later to order one for the spring. As I pointed out to the salesman, options only add value to the bike if the buyer wants them.

This year in the UK there is no base model. Exclusive and Sport are style packages (paint and tankcover and/or engine spoiler). There after you can pick one of two packages (comfort or dynamic) or none, and all items are available as individual options. ESA is not available just now, which also means one of the three usual packs is missing.

So my bike is lightly specced, it has the options I want and nothing else. It worked out at 2.5 grand less than the showroom bike, and about the same price as the used demo.

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT | ‘19 C650GT
92 Posts
I simply keep a fresh CR2032 in my riding jacket (for my RT). No big deal. My car has keyless ignition too — I don’t worry about it either.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hey, that's exactly what I need. Where did you get the key made for $33?
You can buy a blank on Ebay. Any key cutter can do a laser cut if equipped. The combination of key and cut isn't much cheaper than a metal key from the dealer.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Oh, okay. I'll ask dealer how much for the key, and also inquire who can do that kind of laser cutting locally (if any). It's nice to have an option :). Need to ask salesman now what's happening with my stupid battery, and ask about the key when I go there to pick it up. Thank you.

As for keyless, I honestly wish my bike didn't have it (just one more thing that can go wrong), but it's good to know it's apparently reliable on these bikes. It was good to learn the trick to open the gas tank if needed, in case the system fails. I feel good now. Ha ha. Will have the extra (starting) plastic key along with my manual, so even if the fob fails somehow, I could ride the bike.

·
Registered
R1250R
715 Posts
Wait… this is an option??! I’ve only been looking at used bikes (which is what I ended up buying) and only ever saw them with keyless. I’ll need to look to see if I can convert to keyed. I do not like the keyless at all.
I think the problem is, that in the USA you have to buy a package. So, to get the nice stuff you want, you have to accept paying for a load of stuff you don’t.

In the UK you have the option of packages, or just selecting the individual items you want.

None of the packages suited me, so I just selected the individual items I wanted. Keyless ignition is £285, so strangely enough I didn’t tick that box.

Though I feel having a key is preferable, if you do have keyless I would think that converting it back to keyed will probably be lots more hassle than it is worth.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
if you do have keyless I would think that converting it back to keyed will probably be lots more hassle than it is worth.
Absolutely. I don't think anybody would do that. Plus as I mentioned before, the system seems quite reliable, so no need to even think about doing it. The good news is, unlike most other keyless systems, you don't have to get the key out to gas up, so that's quite nice. It makes no sense to have keyless ignition if you need the stupid key for the gas cap IMO. A keyless seat release would have been awesome, but nobody does that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Though I feel having a key is preferable, if you do have keyless I would think that converting it back to keyed will probably be lots more hassle than it is worth.
You’re probably right, unfortunately. It’s funny, I’ve had a keyless ignition on my car for 6 years, and it seems archaic when I get a rental car without it. On my bike though, for some reason I can’t explain, I feel the exact opposite way. It’s a solution to a problem I just don’t have.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Same here; I wouldn't buy a car without keyless... but want my bike the old-fashioned way. Ha ha. I'm relieved they still don't have a push-button automatic gearbox, reverse, power steering, etc. :p

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I carry a non chip metal key
Hey Lee, do you happen to have a link to the key you bought? I could only find this on eBay, but it's for R1200 bikes. Is it the same?

Thanks man. Just hung up my stupid dealer, and they want $348 for one. Ha ha. Will call Monday to see who can cut it locally.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Just hung up my stupid dealer, and they want $348 for one.
That's what I paid to replace the FOB I lost. Is that the dealer price for just the metal key cut for your luggage, seat and GPS cradle if you have it?
Here you go.
I forget if I had Ace Hardware cut the key or a locksmith. It cost $15 for the cut.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thank you. Looks like the key is the same as the R1200s then, so will probably buy the one I posted, since it only costs $1 more, and has the BMW logo :). But before ordering it, will make sure somebody can cut it. Oh is there a technical name for this kind of key that has the 'teeth' on the inside, so stores know what I'm talking about. Thank you.

·
Registered
2016 R1200r lc Sport
41 Posts
I have frame plugs and I keep spare cr2032 and plastic key in the large plug directly under the seat left side or right. The plugs are a good tight fit.
Saves forgetting to take them out with me, and can be removed quickly if need be.

Attachments

·
Registered
386 Posts
. It makes no sense to have keyless ignition if you need the stupid key for the gas cap IMO.
I wish motorcycles did not have locking gas caps just like four wheel vehicles.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hey Lee, do you happen to have a link to the key you bought? I could only find this on eBay, but it's for R1200 bikes. Is it the same?

Thanks man. Just hung up my stupid dealer, and they want $348 for one. Ha ha. Will call Monday to see who can cut it locally.
I think that's the price for a fob.

·
Registered
386 Posts
. A keyless seat release would have been awesome, but nobody does that.
I wonder if the RT has that?
On the RT and K1600 bikes you get central locking with keyless. This controls the locks on your luggage and fairing compartments.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I have frame plugs and I keep spare cr2032 and plastic key in the large plug directly under the seat
Good suggestion. But I'm more interested in the plugs. Ha ha. Where did you buy them? Thank you.

I think that's the price for a fob.
That's what I told the lady, but she insisted that was the price for the key to open the side cases. I told her that was impossible, but no sense to waste more of my time at that point. Ha ha.

I wonder if the RT has that?
Maybe. My 2014 (fully loaded) was before keyless ride was available. But sounds like it should be the case now.

·
Registered
2016 R1200r lc Sport
41 Posts
Frame plugs bought from Nippy Normans in the UK. They offer worldwide delivery
The plugs are a model-specific set by Wunderlich. Other makes available but the Wunderlich product are a good tight fit.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I have keyless. BMW tried but apparently couldn’t
order a dumb metal key, which I wanted to use to rekey a Givi top case lock. I had intended to bring it to a locksmith and didn’t want to give them my fob or my only plastic smart key. So I got a spare plastic key. And then couldn’t find a locksmith to do it. So now I have a fob and two plastics, one under the seat with batteries. I hadn’t planned for losing the fob in mid ride. Maybe I’ll have a plastic one surgically implanted with a zipper.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts