BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'11 naked R, just replaced clutch and put back together, last step is to refill clutch hydraulic mineral oil which arrives tomorrow. Now she won't start. New battery have plenty of juice but she just cranks and cranks. I know I need 1) compression - got plenty, at exhaust and pulled plugs to confirm they weren't fouled, turn it over and had compression; 2) spark - checked plugs while out of cylinders - they're firing; 3) fuel. How do I confirm I'm getting fuel to the cylinders? I've checked all my connections, plugs and wires and cannot find anything amiss. Help - I really need to go for a ride!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were the spark plugs dry when you checked them ? Can you hear the fuel pump engage when you turn the ignition on ?
Plugs were dry; unsure what engaging fuel pump would sound like but have numerous clicks while bike runs preliminary diagnostics (standard at startup)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disconnected and reconnected both "quick-action couplings"

and she fired right up!
q

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
Disconnected and reconnected both "quick-action couplings"
and she fired right up!
Which is a salutary reminder to us all to check the simple things first rather than let our minds race to the more complex/difficult/expensive possible causes.

·
Registered
32 Posts
'11 naked R, just replaced clutch and put back together, last step is to refill clutch hydraulic mineral oil which arrives tomorrow. Now she won't start. New battery have plenty of juice but she just cranks and cranks. I know I need 1) compression - got plenty, at exhaust and pulled plugs to confirm they weren't fouled, turn it over and had compression; 2) spark - checked plugs while out of cylinders - they're firing; 3) fuel. How do I confirm I'm getting fuel to the cylinders? I've checked all my connections, plugs and wires and cannot find anything amiss. Help - I really need to go for a ride!
Check you quick connects under the tank-you might not have them connected all the way.

·
Registered
537 Posts
1. Scent of un-burnt gas in from the exhaust pipe? Yes...you have gas to at least one cylinder.

2. You can crank a few seconds then pull plugs to see if you can smell gas in each cylinder. If #1 above is "no," obviously you're not getting gas into either cylinder.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts