BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
BMW R1200R 2017
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 R1200R and have bought some second hand touring cases that came with their own key. I now want to change the lock code to fit my key. I have removed the lock mechanism (part No. 7723516) from the case but I can not see a way to get the barrel out.
Any suggestions would be greatly received

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Haven't done one for a while, but one used to be able to remove the barrel by inserting the key and sliding a locking ring at the bottom of the barrel toward the centre while pulling up on the barrel. Google is your friend.

· Registered
301 Posts
Did it a while ago. There's a good Youtube video on making the bent wire tool and the technique.

· Registered
BMW R1200R 2017
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thankyou for your replies, I have watched some youtube videos that explain that there is a specific locking 'wafer' at the far end if the barrel that needs to be pressed in either by a tool inserted down the keyhole or somehow around the back, but so far my efforts have failed

· Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Can you post a photo of the mechanism you have removed? I’ve not done these particular cases so can’t advise how to access the last (locking) wafer of the barrel.

· Registered
BMW R1200R 2017
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Camera accessory Bag Material property Camera Luggage and bags

Here is the back of the mechanism, you should be able to see a circular feature which I think corresponds to the back of the barrel. So if we wanted to access the barrel we would want some sort of hole here. Maybe I should drill it!

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Can you remove a cover from the other side? The barrel can be placed in one of two ways, 180 deg apart. The F800 panniers had an access hole to depress the locking wafer, but that was no good if the dealer inserted the barrel 180 deg out. Drilling a small hole opposite allowed access.

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Looks like the same mechanism as my f800 panniers. My recollection is the part can be readily disassembled to access the release hole.

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Looks like the same mechanism as my f800 panniers. My recollection is the part can be readily disassembled to access the release hole.
Yep. I had my 2016 panniers apart a couple of years ago, and remember thinking that re-keying should be easy. I was painting my panniers, not fiddling with the lock, but I do remember looking at the lock in case I wanted to sell them separately from the bike at some point in future. Forums are full of posts about people wanting/needing to change a BMW lock for whatever reason. I did destroy, umm, damage one of my F800GS panniers in an unfortunate off-road excursion several years ago, and had to re-key its replacement. It just requires a bit of patience and some Google competence.

· Registered
BMW R1200R 2017
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have now managed to extract the lock barrels! With the key turned to the 'release' position, I lifted the release knob and jammed it open with a cork, then the locking wafer could be seen as in the attached photo. After the wafer was depressed, the key was turned to 'open' and the barrel pops out. Many thanks for all your replies.
Wood Wall Gas Automotive tire Machine

· Registered
2,440 Posts
Useless addendum to this discussion, probably of little interest to anyone :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ......

We use Thule roof racks on our cars/trucks to carry canoes, kayaks, bicycles, skis, etc. We have two sets of racks, each set has 4 locks, which haven't changed design in a long time. When we buy a new vehicle, we normally have to get new rack hardware to adapt to it. My wife has managed to find herself a new car that might actually be available in the next while, to replace her aging Kia. So I'm swapping the lock set from her old rack to a new one, rather than buy new ones.

Thule uses a lock cylinder sort of similar to what BMW uses for panniers, seats, etc., with a spring-loaded locking tab at the end opposite to where you insert the key. Unlike BMW, Thule make it very easy to insert and remove the lock cylinders. They supply a dummy key with each set of locks, that when inserted in place of the key, retracts the locking tab, along with the other pins. To insert a cylinder, you just put the dummy key in, slide the cylinder into its place, hold it in with your thumb, and pull out the dummy key. Presto! To remove a cylinder, you use the normal key to move it to Unlock, replace that with the dummy, and pull out the cylinder. You can't use the dummy key when the cylinder is locked into place, even though the same one fits all cylinders. Simple, pretty much fool-proof. Even if you lose the dummy key, they're all the same, so you can just borrow or buy one. Dunno why BMW's much-vaunted engineering prowess doesn't produce the same thing. Too simple, I guess.

@Panzermann what's the German equivalent of KISS?

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Dealers have no trouble charging premium technician rates to work with their preferred engineering solutions - why would they need in der Kürze liegt die Würze?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts