BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took someone's advice and have a liter of gas in a propane canister in my pannier. So; with the bike baking in the summer sun, do I have an IED in the back of my bike? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
drDave, What idiot gave you that advice? Don't say his name, but are his initials Clem? Well, that explains it.
Been carrying a canister for decades, as I often camp on long trips. No bad accidents so far. Maybe I'm reckless and just plain lucky. I hardly ever park in the sun. The key is a safety approved metal fuel canister with good seals. Not a pet bottle in a zip-lock bag. That's a bomb! Sorry, IED. If you get a gas smell when opening the sidecase, might want to re-think it. My 250cc Honda is quick & easy to drain a cup of fuel for the camp stove, but NOT the R1200R.
If you feel uncomfortable about a propane canister, I would not take it.
Would be very interested to hear what other bikers do. Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
If I am carrying, a 33 oz MSR red bottle, or two. No gas smell. I do not fill to the top.
If I have side cases, I modified a couple of bicycle water bottle cages- Blackburn- and 4" clamp RV style w thumb screw, and they sit outside. If no sidecases, in the topcase.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
If I am carrying, a 33 oz MSR red bottle, or two. ... I modified a couple of bicycle water bottle cages- Blackburn- and 4" clamp RV style w thumb screw, and they sit outside.
Nice one, Dr S. What is 'MSR', pray?

L of S

1 - 6 of 6 Posts