BMW R1200R Forum banner

Howdy from Southern Arizona!

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hemiwes 
Hey GIJared,
Welcome to the forum and to riding you are going to go insane about riding, it's awesome.
Now, here is my advice, please take it from someone who absolutely loves his R1200R more than any other bike his ever ridden in 15 years.
I'm pretty sure there is people out there who are "not the type that will hop on and try to kill themselves" but, with such a powerful bike, sometimes it's not under your control.
You want to buy a used bike because you know you will drop it, the chances of this happening are big, but trust me, there is nothing like buying a new one.
Now, you don't even know 100% even if you are going to enjoy riding, many people buy new bikes, ride them one summer, put them on their garage and sell them with 700 miles 4 years latter, that is the bike you should be looking for, not one from the Stelership.
I highly recommend for you to go on craigslist, look for a used Suzuki TU250X, or Honda Rebel, or Kawasaki Ninja 250R, or Yamaha TW200, you get my point? something used on the 250 CC range, with not much power but enough to go out on the highway, lighter for almost half of what the R1200R weights, and most important, CHEAP
You can get one of those bikes for $1000.00 today, ride it, drop it couple of times, ride it and ride it more, then, sell it for $1000.00-$900.00 YOu could even make money out of it, you may loose couple of hundred, but you will win 1 year and many many miles of experience.
Now you can go and buy your brand new water-cooled 2014 BMW R1200R and ride the S%^& out of it.:D

Also consider all the gear you will need to get, and believe me, you will start spending money on gear like daughter of rich guy with daddy's credit card.;)

Look how sweet is that Suzuki TU250X, If I had space on my garage, I will definitively buy one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.