BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are several members on the site that have this exhaust. I am considering it and have a few questions.

How does the center stand work with this exhaust? Does it fully retract, what does it rub on when its up?

How does it work with BMW Hard Saddlebags?

What are your overall impression of the exhaust since running it for awhile.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
480 Posts
Hi Steve; Jason D. of HR exhaust does not provide the welded-on bracket that the rubber stop on your center stand will contact. You can do what Hoshiko did, that is, use a stainless steel radiator hose type of clamp, positioning it on the connector pipe so that the clamp’s screw head hits your center stand’s rubber bumper…or, in my case, build a bumper on your center stand’s center rod, and allow that bumper on your center stand to contact the head of the bolt on the connector between the catalytic converter and the new HR connector pipe…or you can simply weld on a bracket allowing your center stand bumper to hit a stop as per the original setup. In all cases, the center stand will fully retract.

No problem with stock BMW saddlebags clearance over an HR1 exhaust.

My overall impression with the HR1 thus far over about 1.7K miles remains favorable…OK tone appreciating your trying to get pleasant sounds from a high compression boxer. As I’ve stated in other replies, the overall construction of the HR1 is excellent. Lots of solid billet aluminum. We’ll see how long the packing lasts…my gut feeling is that the exhaust will have a long lifespan. Of all the aesthetic farkles I’ve added, I feel the HR1 ranks up there with bar end mirrors and Z-technik 2443…the aesthetic value alone was worth the cost…but we all know beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Good luck in your pursuits!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Steve; Jason D. of HR exhaust does not provide the welded-on bracket that the rubber stop on your center stand will contact. You can do what Hoshiko did, that is, use a stainless steel radiator hose type of clamp, positioning it on the connector pipe so that the clamp’s screw head hits your center stand’s rubber bumper…or, in my case, build a bumper on your center stand’s center rod, and allow that bumper on your center stand to contact the head of the bolt on the connector between the catalytic converter and the new HR connector pipe…or you can simply weld on a bracket allowing your center stand bumper to hit a stop as per the original setup. In all cases, the center stand will fully retract.

No problem with stock BMW saddlebags clearance over an HR1 exhaust.

My overall impression with the HR1 thus far over about 1.7K miles remains favorable…OK tone appreciating your trying to get pleasant sounds from a high compression boxer. As I’ve stated in other replies, the overall construction of the HR1 is excellent. Lots of solid billet aluminum. We’ll see how long the packing lasts…my gut feeling is that the exhaust will have a long lifespan. Of all the aesthetic farkles I’ve added, I feel the HR1 ranks up there with bar end mirrors and Z-technik 2443…the aesthetic value alone was worth the cost…but we all know beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

Good luck in your pursuits!
Thanks for your response. Your feedback was what I was looking for. I responded to Jason's email of my query to order the same exhaust he made for your bike.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
How's this for a superb typo?

Acting on recommendations from this most excellent Forum I e-mailed Jason with a query as to whether his stock item will fit my bike.

He replied... " what is the latter diameter of your stick headed?"

Somewhat puzzled I replied with a "Que?" - and have just had his light-hearted reply "sorry - meant outer diameter of your stock header".

(I'm no wiser - can someone please tell me what to measure, and how accurate does it need to be?)

Aaaarrrggggghhhh!

(I shall be measuring and probably ordering!).

Lawrence of Suburbia

Outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it! Maybe...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Acting on recommendations from this most excellent Forum I e-mailed Jason with a query as to whether his stock item will fit my bike.

Somewhat puzzled I replied with a "Que?" - and have just had his light-hearted reply "sorry - meant outer diameter of your stock header".

(I'm no wiser - can someone please tell me what to measure, and how accurate does it need to be?)

Aaaarrrggggghhhh!

Lawrence of Suburbia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it! Maybe...
Interesting, he asked me the size of the header as well when he responded to my original inquiry I have no idea. I assumed since he had built a few now he would know the header size. If he doesn't know that how can I expect him to know the proper bend in the connector pipe?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Interesting, he asked me the size of the header as well when he responded to my original inquiry I have no idea. I assumed since he had built a few now he would know the header size. If he doesn't know that how can I expect him to know the proper bend in the connector pipe?
As I stated somewhere in an earlier thread, Jason does not appear to manage the digital inputs on his CNC mandrel bender...and maybe doesn't even write them down on a hunk of paper...thus it appears he starts from scratch. The exhaust itself is not an issue, as it is largely generic. That C-pipe (connector pipe between the catalytic converter and muffler) is a different issue. If he still has the R12R inputs on his CNC, you guys will be all set to go...but if not, it may be re-inventing the proverbial wheel. Even in this worst case scenario, it is still not a real big deal as Jason appears to very diligently and very promptly work through each order if you...the customer....provide to him the necessary inputs. First input, Sir Lawrence, is the OD (outside diameter) of the pipe coming from the catalytic converter. Removing your muffler is very easy and intuitive. Also remove the complete (two bolts) clamp (large radiator hose type of compression bracket) from the tail end of the catalytic bracket. Measure the outside diameter of the pipe coming from the cat...use a caliper or well calibrated ruler. I would provide all necessary measurements to you guys, but I am not at home at present. I will return to home mid to late next week, and if you're still in need, just ask and I'll do my best.

Steve, like you, I was hesitant to proceed based upon Jason's lack of a turn key product. In hindsight, I would still select the HR1 and feel it is truly a best value appreciating the near gouging prices of other exhaust systems. This HR1, as well as all the other pricey alternatives, are not tuned systems....not rocket science...and nowhere near as detailed as say, building expansion chambers for two stroke engines. Its a stinkin' muffler, made more for aesthetics than any other goal. As Hoshiko says...its is the best looking out there.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
. I would provide all necessary measurements to you guys, but I am not at home at present. I will return to home mid to late next week, and if you're still in need, just ask and I'll do my best.
Thanks Birkenfelder - it is currently just after 6am and I have been abruptly awakened by the sound of a duck quacking in my bedroom - so am not yet fully charged and fuelled ready for the day's mental challenges!

I'll look over the bike later and get back if I have any queries...

Thanks again.

Lawrence of Suburbia

2012 R1200R: Montego Blue with ABS, ESA, RDC, OBC, Puig rear hugger, Eagle semi-touring screen, Stebel Magnum horn, Grip Puppies, ss oil-cooler guard, Abdeckring installed, Wunderlich ‘Trophy’ fairing coming soon… that’s it!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts

Aaaarrrggggghhhh!

Lawrence of Suburbia

I'm the one who helped HR create the exhaust for our bike, the first he made was based on a pre 2011 bike one of he's friends had, and when he send it, it didn't fit. That's when I made my shitty home made tip, and sent my whole original water boiler to him to make the bend and size perfect.

I don't know what size diameter we have, but I know is different then 2011-

I love the exhaust, I have 10k+ miles on it and love it. As I mentioned earlier, I didn't get it for performance or noise, only for the looks and boy, it looks great.

Whenever I'm done with all the home building, I'll weld a stop for the center stand, for now the hose clamp works pretty well.

Shitty tip

Sexy tip

1 - 8 of 8 Posts