BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been raining grand pianos for weeks now, so the few rides I have been doing have been on my Bonneville/KTM.The other day I was taking advantage of a 2 hour break in the recent atmospheric barrage, and noticed the left side shoulder and edge of my front tire was past the wear-bars, at 5,002 miles, it is shotsky. Interestingly, the rear tire is only partially left-side worn out. No matter, these Metz are totally underwhelming. They were OK for about 1500 then developed a lit of "meh".

So there is a chance of no-rain on Tuesday afternnoon and I will finally get the tires I wished I had to begin with, Michelin Road6.

· Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
Good choice @moto-rama best tyres I've had with my LC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

· Registered
339 Posts
Liked the 2 and 3 and the 4s turned me off as they were filter to my bike. Have been enjoying Dunlop Roadsmart 3 and now 4s are next

Reactions: mikeyman67

· Registered
315 Posts
As soon as the Bridgestone S22s currently on my bike wear out I'm going back to my favorite Pilot Road rear, Pilot Power front combo.

The Pilot Road fronts are so compromised for wet roads that when ridden hard on warm and dry I get ~2K miles before they feather/cup into uselessness. The Pilot Power sportbike front is stickier and lasts as long as the Pilot Road rear for me.

Will miss the S22s but the great deals I was getting on them are gone.

· Registered
30 Posts
Replaced a set of Road Attack 3's early in the fall with a set of Road 6's, the Road's are a better tire with newer technology and thinking. I find that I can carry an additional 5 to 10 MPH through the corners than with the Road Attacks. Biggest thing I noticed so far was that running the BMW "recommended" pressures of 36 Front 42 Rear (solo) were definitely stiff maybe a little harsh, Found that 35/40 felt much better (I will add pressure if riding two up or with loaded luggage). My previous bike a R1150R had different pressures recommended for Solo, two up, and fully loaded, not sure why BMW now only recommend's a single pressure for all conditions? They were about $600 for the set including mounting, balancing, and tires (I dropped the wheels off at the shop). The Road Attacks overall were a good tire which lasted about 9,000 miles, and were excellent in the wet and dry, the only thing that I found concerning was how fast the rear went away as it got towards the wear indicators, about 300 miles.

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,895 Posts
I also went from half-worn Conti RoadAttack3's (previous owner's choice) to new Michelin Road 6's (my choice) and found a VERY noticeable improvement in competence and confidence across the board. I remain an Unapologetic Michelin Fanboi.

Cheers! Dave

· Registered
2011 R1200R Classic!
4 Posts
I bought my 2011 Classic in June of 2021. It had a brand new rear Metzler and still had the matching front Metzler of the same model but with more miles. I never was happy with the handling of the bike and I knew it shouldn't be that bad. After reading and riding, I finally figured out it is the probably the tires. Or at least I'll try replacing those first. So just last week got the Michelin Road 5s since I remembered that I had Michelin's on a previous bike and really liked them. Still snowy here, so haven't a chance to try them out but am looking forward to seeing what difference there is.

· Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're on.

I know, take it easy on the first 100 miles of any new tires, so I rode around aimlessly at an abandoned postal depot, scuffing the tires in.
Then...a tiny wheelie and off to what's left of the local coast roads. Th Road6, is even better than the 5's.
I didn't exactly wail on them, yet, but the Sun has promised to shine until the weekend.

"Snowy" sounds like it's time to strap on the boards and bash the bumps....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts