BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2010 R100r
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle Motor vehicle

Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle part

The plastic was starting to turn white with age on this 2010 R1200r. I thought about purchasing another set since they are just $30 or so. But I had some hammered aluminum paint on hand and thought I would see what it looked like. It ended up looking pretty nice so I'll have to see how it stands up to the elements.

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
Engine plastics on Boxers seem to not weather well.

I’ve had an idea ticking over in my mind for some time now but it hasn’t yet bubbles to the top of my priorities. They’re made of ABS, which is soluble in acetone, reforming once the acetone evaporates. If I were to dissolve some waste black ABS in acetone and dip the surface of the component back and forth in the solution, the hope is that it would bond a coat of fresh ABS to the component.

Anyone keen to give it a crack?

· Registered
315 Posts
There's some guy on Youtube that restores the black color on old motorcycle plastics with a torch.

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
There's some guy on Youtube that restores the black color on old motorcycle plastics with a torch.
Would require a deft touch, I’d think, to get an even finish and not get uneven patches.

· Registered
R1200RT,2007
2 Posts
You can restore the most molded colors on automotive plastics. A heat gun works wonders. I've restored bumpers etc
As long as you don't hold the heat gun too close, it's an easy job. Black come up best

1 - 5 of 5 Posts