BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I only joined this site to get advice before buying an 2006 R1200R.
I already own a 2009 Hp2 Megamoto which has been pressed into service recently as my commuter due to a shrinking motorcycle collection and while it does the job well it has to be ridden in all weathers which is not what I planned when purchased new.Long story short I have been offered a friends R1200R at a really good price which would be great to commute on and save my Megamoto from this chore.
The R1200R is in great condition cosmetically and has been book serviced since new BUT it has covered 145000ks the owner is a good rider but by my standards heavy on the throttle (ie:it has been ridden hard its whole life).
He has also done at least 10 track days on it.
I have ridden the bike and it sounds and rides well but seems pretty loose in the drive train.No smoke or rattles .

I just cannot make my mind up and wanted to ask the people who actually own this bike if they can take hard riding with high ks?

thanks for any advice.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
One of the posters, Uncle, reminded us that 1200's are also cop bikes. They are left running all day, and, I believe his phase was 'you can ride the snot out of it'. If the bike has been BMW serviced and there are no lay down frame bending accidents you could ride this do everything bike for years.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
That is a lot of kms. You do have a backup for commute though should the r12 be laid up for routine maintenance.
These engines LOVE to be flogged.
I've found that the engine is sweetest AFTER a long hard run. And the engines have proven themselves over decades to be durable. Plastic, rubber and wear items will need replacing periodically and there are probably some items--fuel lines, brake lines, connections, etc that MAY start to fail. Used as a commuter, though, you have the luxury of not being stranded far from home, and an alternate form of transport, right?

Can you get a rec yay or nay from the servicing dealer?

I would think if the service people say it's good--with specific reference to the drive train, and you really like the price, and you like the bike, then it's a go.

Just my 2cents

John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
had another ride today and the gearbox actually changes better than my megamoto.eveything else seems fine so will take the plunge and buy the bike.the owner is getting the twin cam model.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Good decision. :clap:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zero cost motorcycling

I just sold R1200R :( which now shows 168000ks and in that time (23000ks) I serviced it 3 times and it never even needed a single valve adjustment.I commuted on it almost every day,lent it to a friend who rode it around tasmainia and then to perth and back.It has been a fantastic low cost bike and the only time I cleaned it was for sale. When the buyer came to look at it we started the 17000k Megamoto next to the 168000k R1200R and the sounded the the same.
What a fantastic bike I wish I could have kept it but my collection has grown to 7 and I just wasn't using it anymore.
This is the only motorcycle I have ever owned that actually had less than zero running cost's.I got a free battery and tires from my friend after his trip and I sold it for enough of a profit to pay for 2 years rego and fuel.:clap:

thanks for some very good advice.

·
Super Moderator
943 Posts
Great story, great bike! Thanks for checking back in!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts