BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
The stock bars were too high for my preference.

Are you still satisfied?

I have the kaoko throttle lock, which replaces the stock bar end; any idea how I could still use it with this bar? Would it be possible with a kaoko made for a different model?

What about the width? Did you cut the bars down? I am about to buy a R12R LC and found the bars too wide and high. Then again I am coming from a R1200S with heli bars and a Ducati ST4S. Although I am an old man I need to be a bit forward to take the load off my back. Riding a cruiser or GS is impossible for me after much time.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
What about the width? Did you cut the bars down? I am about to buy a R12R LC and found the bars too wide and high. Then again I am coming from a R1200S with heli bars and a Ducati ST4S. Although I am an old man I need to be a bit forward to take the load off my back. Riding a cruiser or GS is impossible for me after much time.

The width is the same as the stock bars. You certainly could cut them down to make them narrower, the only limitation being fitting everything on to the bars that has to be there such as levers, mirrors, etc.

Are you still satisfied?

I have the kaoko throttle lock, which replaces the stock bar end; any idea how I could still use it with this bar? Would it be possible with a kaoko made for a different model?

The bars are a nice improvement in comfort for me, yes, I still like them & wouldn't go back to the stock bars. As far as the bar ends are concerned, the stock bars have threaded inserts welded into the ends for the BMW bar ends to bolt to. The Rizoma bars are standard tube bars with no inserts, which is why new bar ends are required that work with an open ended bar.

Hey Steve B, I recently purchased a set of the low Rizomas and will be soon be installing them. I believe the grips have set screws so the Rizomas will have to be drilled and tapped. Is this correct? if so what size tap did you use? thnaks.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
only the left grip/switch pod has a bolt-- and it bolts through the handlebar into the backside of the grip/switch pod. There's no tapping of the bars required, the bolt simply passes through the bars. The trick is to drill the hole in the proper place, and, at the proper angle to allow switches to be oriented properly.

Thanks again Steve B!

I can't seem to figure out how to remove the controls. It appears that there are very small screws that have microscopic torx heads holding them together. Do the controls have to be disassembled to get at the attachment screws? I understand that the left side has a thru bolt although I can't seem to find it. The right has a tiny screw holding the controls but when I remove that the control does not disassemble. Advice appreciated. Thanks

Further to my newbie post, in getting to grips (pun intended) with my bike handling issues I came to the conclusion that I needed to get some more weight onto the front of the bike. I fitted the Rizoma MA011 handlebars (my Haynes manual was of great assistance in doing this) and I also increased the preload of the rear shock. These changes have transformed the feel that I am getting from the front - Happy Days! The only downside is that I am finding the front suspension to be a bit harsh but will leave it for the time being to see if I can get used to it.

Steve thanks so much for sharing your experience with us! Including the super photos! I bought my first R1200 R (MY 2012) and also find the handlebars way too high. So your post led me to the solution, i.e. low-bend (rise 30mm) Rizoma handlebars which I am going to buy soon.

Rizoma states that only the MA009 55mm rise handlebar is compatible with the R1200R. And I certainly dont expect to be able to lock the handlebars after the change.

I wonder whether you could tell me/us how the lower, 15mm bend affected the turning circle as there is a clearance of only ~ 35mm between the indicator buttons and the fuel tank at full lock when turning. Particularly when manouvering the bike while parking or moving the bike.

Thanks! Stanley

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.