BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2007 R1200R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2007 R1200R with a finicky instrument cluster. At times I would not get any life when I started the bike and ridden for a while. Since this seemed to happen in colder temperatures I decided to check the connection to see if cleaning and refitting it would help but it did not. The temperature in my garage was in the low to mid 50s Fahrenheit. I used a heat gun to warm the area around it and it came on. It would not come on again when it cooled back down. I took the cluster apart and it come on even quicker when warmed up.
Has anyone had this issue and found a solution to fix it without replacing the entire cluster? Your input would be appreciated!
Thanks!

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
That sort of thing would normally indicate a dry solder joint or a crack in the solder. If you are confident with a soldering iron, trace over the circuit board solder to mend any of these. It’s a pretty standard practice when any repair is done on them (e.g. replacing the capacitors, which can fail with time).

· Registered
2007 R1200R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I’m no expert with a soldering iron but fairly confident I can handle it. I’m hoping that is the issue and not something internal with one of the components. Since I have costs for new ones being over $1,400 USD, it is certainly worth a try!

· Registered
2007 R1200R
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I’m no expert with a soldering iron but fairly confident I can handle it. I’m hoping that is the issue and not something internal with one of the components. Since I have costs for new ones being over $1,400 USD, it is certainly worth a try!
After starting to remove the needles to gain access the board, I determined it was best to not risk damaging the stepper motors. I contacted John McDowell and will be packing it up to let him do the repairs. He will go over all the soldering points and replace the capacitors. He is familiar with this issue and I feel confident it will be corrected. I may go after the faulty ABS module to send to Module Masters while the bike is down and the weather not great for riding anyway.

· Premium Member
326 Posts
After starting to remove the needles to gain access the board, I determined it was best to not risk damaging the stepper motors. I contacted John McDowell and will be packing it up to let him do the repairs. He will go over all the soldering points and replace the capacitors. He is familiar with this issue and I feel confident it will be corrected.
If the Cluster can be fixed, John is the man to fix it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts