BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a used '11 R1200R and noticed a couple things with the instrument panel display. I was wondering if anyone else had similar problems.

1. The outside ambient temp display doesn't always update until I cycle through the other choices and return to the temperature. For example, when I turn on the bike it will read 77 degrees (when I know it's in the 90's) and stay there until I use the INFO button to cycle back to the temp it finally updates to the true temp.

2. The manual states that I should be able to display current MPG. I can only find avg MPG. Is this only an option on some bikes?

3. My fuel level was showing half on my way to work this morning, by the time I got there it shows a full tank. What are the symptoms of a bad fuel strip?

·
Registered
36 Posts
#1 & #3. After starting up (temp) or fueling up (fuel level, distance to empty) the panel on my 2007 may take a minute or so to update itself. It doesn't rush.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I agree with Mm on his observations. As for #2, on my bike it is in between the average MPG and the miles until empty. For me it goes temp, avg speed, avg MPG, instantaneous MPG, miles to empty, then back to temp.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will take a longer ride and verify if the temp ever updates itself without me having to cycle back to it with the INFO button.

As for #2 I definitely do not have instantaneous MPG. It goes straight from 'avg MPG' to 'miles to empty'.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Was it half full and go to full without adding fuel?? If so, yes that is a symptom. If our bikes shows current mpg, I'm unaware. It is weird that your ambient temp doesn't update, my '11 does. Is it only when you first turn on the key? I've watched mine as I've gone through city to country and through the cold 'pockets' in the shade in the summer when you notice that 3 degree change.

·
Registered
48 Posts
spent a number of hours on my 08 bike still not figured it out but getting there slowly, now where did I put that manual lol

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Was it half full and go to full without adding fuel?? If so, yes that is a symptom. If our bikes shows current mpg, I'm unaware. It is weird that your ambient temp doesn't update, my '11 does. Is it only when you first turn on the key? I've watched mine as I've gone through city to country and through the cold 'pockets' in the shade in the summer when you notice that 3 degree change.
Half full and went to full without adding fuel. I'll keep an eye on the behavior, if its consistently wrong i'll have to get that fixed under warranty.

Can you verify if your bike has instant MPG reading?

Once the ambient temp gets an initial accurate reading it updates through-out the ride just fine. The problem is that if I had the ambient temp up when i last shut the bike off, next time I start it up it gets frozen on a temp like 77 and stays there until I cycle the INFO.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Half full and went to full without adding fuel. I'll keep an eye on the behavior, if its consistently wrong i'll have to get that fixed under warranty.
Once the ambient temp gets an initial accurate reading it updates through-out the ride just fine. The problem is that if I had the ambient temp up when i last shut the bike off, next time I start it up it gets frozen on a temp like 77 and stays there until I cycle the INFO.
I would have both checked by a dealer. The erratic fuel gauge is likely related to a bad fuel-level sender (strip), whose failures are common across the R1200 line. As a backup, you'd be wide to reset your tripmeter after every fill-up. On my '09, I start looking for fuel after ~200 miles. I wouldn't trust the residual range figure.

No idea about the stuck temperature reading.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'd say there's an issue then, my temp readout updates continuously. The temps vary a lot in the hills (can fluctuate by ten-fifteen deg within a mile) and the display varies with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd say there's an issue then, my temp readout updates continuously. The temps vary a lot in the hills (can fluctuate by ten-fifteen deg within a mile) and the display varies with it.
Does yours update as soon as you start your bike up?
I did another test today and that's sort of my issue, the reading is frozen for several minutes (5-10?) after starting the bike. And then, poof it starts updating in nearly real time.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Does yours update as soon as you start your bike up?
I did another test today and that's sort of my issue, the reading is frozen for several minutes (5-10?) after starting the bike. And then, poof it starts updating in nearly real time.
Yes, it does.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In regards to the computer displaying instant MPG, I can tell you that my '11 Classic (in Australia) does not display it, however I hired the same model for a trip in Europe last year and it did have it available.

To confuse matters slightly more, my bike shows average Litres/100km where the European version showed it in terms of km/Litre.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts