BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

My back tyre is about to end its life, I guess in about 3000km 馃.
Metzeler Roadtec Z8

Because of that, I was thinking on learning how to do burnouts.

I know the bike (BMW r1200r 2016) has integrated braking, and the manual explicitly says no wheelies and no burnouts.

But I have seen that the s1000rr can do burnouts, only if, the user turns off ABS (I don鈥檛 think you have to turn off DTC) the same thing must be true to the r12r

Am I correct?

Have any of you guy done burnouts in an r12r LC?

Thanks in advance,

Registered
Ability to turn off ABS may depend on your country and year, they will soon lose any ability to turn it off worldwide. I have briefly spun my tire on grass and on wet crosswalk paint, my display panicked instead of me.

May I suggest if you're learning to do a burnout maybe borrowing a dirt bike? You might find a 500+# euro bike teaches you different kind of lesson than your looking for. I have seen well experienced burnout show offs slip up and regret it.

Super Moderator
Given the front brake lever operates both front and rear brakes, I鈥檇 think not, unless instead of using the brake to hold the bike, you push it up against a wall. In this case, you鈥檇 need to turn off the ASC/DTC, otherwise they鈥檇 kick in to reduce engine power band the engine would likely stall.

Not a sport I personally appreciate, so I鈥檝e never tried it myself.

Registered
Have seen a burn-out end in tears.

Witnessed a sport bike rider loose control of his R6 while doing burnouts in a parking lot and the bike then got wedged between 2 parked cars.

Can just imagine the instance claim on this one

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks,

A lot of horror stories.

On the matter of disabling the feature, I suppose if you disable the ABS( my bike has the option) there will be no integrated braking.

As mentioned above, risking a beautiful machine just for the heck of it is not worth it.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Super Moderator
... if you disable the ABS( my bike has the option) there will be no integrated braking
Interesting point, although I haven't seen mention of it in the manual. I must try it out (the ABS/integrated braking link, not the burnout!).

Reactions: Justcruisin

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
I also want to test if it works as we are thinking it should.

What I鈥檓 going to do is:
1. Put the bike in the center stand.
2. Start the engine.
3. Put it in first gear.
4. Accelerate it slightly(almost nothing) and release the clutch lever.
5. Press the clutch lever and while the back tire is spinning, press the front brake.

In theory, with the default settings when you turn on the bike normally, the result should be, when pressing the front brake only, the rear wheel should stop.

And with the ABS turned off, the rear wheel should not stop and continue spinning.

if nothing happens, then the ABS sensor has to detect movement for the linked braking to work 馃し馃徎鈥嶁檪锔

Pure theory.

Super Moderator
I've checked it out while riding: with ABS turned off, gentle brake with rear brake only, then firm application of front brake lever 鈥 I can feel the effect on the rear brake pedal as the linked brake function kicks in. I confirmed this with the key on but engine off (so I could hear): push the bike forward then apply the front brake firmly 鈥 you can hear the ABS motor kick in, applying the rear brake via the linked brake function.

So, no 鈥 whilst disengaging the ABS will nullify the the ABS function, it does not prevent the ABS motor being used to maintain the linked brake function.

Registered
Can't say I've ever done a burnout in my life. Nor do I have any desire to do so.

So, no 鈥 whilst disengaging the ABS will nullify the the ABS function, it does not prevent the ABS motor being used to maintain the linked brake function.
How about, unbolt caliper, remove from disk, jam a bit of wood into caliper and tie it back safely out of the road.

Re-fit after performing burnout.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Did the test,

What I鈥檓 going to do is:
1. Put the bike in the center stand.
2. Start the engine.
3. Put it in first gear.
4. Accelerate it slightly(almost nothing) and release the clutch lever.
5. Press the clutch lever and while the back tire is spinning, press the front brake.

And when I pull the front brake lever, it immediately stops the rear wheel.
it doesn鈥檛 matter if you have ABS turn off/on

How about, unbolt caliper, remove from disk, jam a bit of wood into caliper and tie it back safely out of the road.
That鈥檚 the only option, physically hacking the bike.

Premium Member
Not a sport I personally appreciate, so I鈥檝e never tried it myself.
So that wasn't you at Summernats a few years ago near the burnout pad with the "Exhibit your mammary glands" sign?

Super Moderator
I wouldn鈥檛 mind going along to see some of the machines there, but for those two 鈥榝eatures鈥 of the event.

Registered
That鈥檚 the only option, physically hacking the bike.
It shouldn't be too difficult. You might want to consider some washing up liquid or some lubricating oil on the rear tyre to get it going.

I'd also have a look at You-Tube, try typing in motorcycle burn out fail or something - just to give you an idea of what can go wrong. This one is probably my fave;

Registered
With ABS and DTC off, 80% of the front lever pressure will be on the front brake. A burnout is possible, but only a short one, as the rear brake with be rubbing and getting hot.

Or do it on dirt. Or on wet, slick pavement.

Or buy a cheap bike. Just about anything has the power to do it, but I'd hate to stress my R in that manner....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Registered
Hi all,

My back tyre is about to end its life, I guess in about 3000km 馃.
Metzeler Roadtec Z8

Because of that, I was thinking on learning how to do burnouts.

I know the bike (BMW r1200r 2016) has integrated braking, and the manual explicitly says no wheelies and no burnouts.

But I have seen that the s1000rr can do burnouts, only if, the user turns off ABS (I don鈥檛 think you have to turn off DTC) the same thing must be true to the r12r

Am I correct?

Have any of you guy done burnouts in an r12r LC?

Thanks in advance,
"end its life, I guess in about 3000km" - Do you get 3000kms from a tyre? I'm lucky if I get 2500km in total.
As for burnouts, the traction control can be turned off on your bike. But be warned, getting it started is harder than you think, and when it finishes, make sure you're ready because if it grabs, it's gone and so are you. I've seen countless crashes/drops at the end of a burnout session.
Good luck!! 馃榾

1 - 16 of 16 Posts