BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After turning the ignition ON, I almost always wait for the engine malfunction light
Water Rectangle Gesture Grey Sky
to stop blinking before starting the engine. According to the manual that's part of phase two of the pre-ride check.

I'm wondering if it's really worth the wait or if I'm being over-cautious here...

·
Registered
768 Posts
How long does this take? By the time my LCD display is full on, it's ready to start.

·
Registered
651 Posts
1250 or 1200? I just wait for the speedo to complete it's swing on my 1200...

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
149 Posts
I assume it is non-TFT model, since I have not seen this icon on 2020 r1250r (knock on wood :)). With my bike (TFT) I've tried both ways, and didn't see any problems.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm waiting until the TFT displays the riding screen, with the tacho on it, and the ABS and TC yellow lights on the right side blinking. It takes less than 5 seconds, so not that long. Bike starts right away, but was disappointed it doesn't start at proper high idle when cold (barely above idle, and struggles a little not to stall). The weird thing I noticed is it starts at higher rpm when HOT, than cold. Weird. Anyway, my previous BMWs have always done that, so probably nothing wrong, but not sure why they don't start like a freaking car when cold. Oh well. I remember both my ex-K1300S and R1200RT stalled at least once when started in cold weather. The good news is I don't ride in cold weather much, so not a big deal to me, fortunately.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 1200 LC. To clarify the behavior, the warning light doesn't actually blink as wrongly stated in my original post, only the ABS and TC check lights blink (while waiting for the wheels to rotate to check the sensors). The warning light on ignition is not indicative of a problem, it's part of the pre-ride check. Takes 15 seconds to go out according to the manual, which sounds about right. Or it will go out as soon as the engine is started. I'm just wondering if it's worth waiting those 15 seconds.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I don't, and have not had any issues. I wait for the speedo to complete it's swing, and then start up and go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts