BMW R1200R Forum banner

Its a mental thing...

6K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  grahamspc 
#1 ·
Over the past several days, I've been practicing technique and style on some curvy, well paved rural roads - most virtually free of any traffic. While I can't time myself, or accurately know speeds, I sense I am significantly more "in tune" on some days, resulting in a smoother, more confident experience. Yesterday, during one of my rides, this post kept rising in my mind. :001_unsure:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
And another one here who feels like that; some days it's great, and others it can be hard work. I am sure it is to do with personal mood, and perhaps levels of tiredness. For me it's down to concentration: some days I find sticking at it much harder for longer lengths of time. Age? Maybe. RobA.

#5 ·
I've also experienced this, once in a while feeling and riding like an absolute beginner! Strange...

L of S

#6 ·
On a recent trip over to Italy there were some days that took at least an hour or so for me to 'get in the groove' but other days I was on it straight away. I think it's always a matter of taking it easy until you feel right.

#7 ·
It's a mental thing…

But making sure your eye sight is in good health goes a long way.

Over the last few months and at my age, I have noticed my eye sight deteriorating. I wear glasses for computer work etc.
In India…all the lighting was yellow…not good quality long life bulbs….but the lighting was dull, never encouraged me to pick up a book and read by artificial light at night.

Rode out on a short ride today, I was questioning my long sight, could I really detect loose gravel on the road ahead like I yous't to…NO.
Could I detect movement at the side of the road, at long distance…a small animal ready to shoot across the road …NO.
It can put you off your ride mentally, second doubting your sight, riding with poor sight….can dump you off your bike.:frown2:
Went for a eye check…and YES I will need glasses/contact lenses for long sight.
GREAT..I get to see again :laugh2: darn I'm getting older. :|

#8 ·
So true. As a rider who's been away for lo these many years, I've held myself back more than I probably should have. On the right days I get out there and discover that despite my lack of thousands of miles & years in the saddle, I'm actually better than I give myself credit for.

It is indeed all in the head. Confidence is a wonderful thing.

#13 · (Edited)
Before I ride, I always pray to Jesus for safety/protection (I've never been down or crashed in my approximate 20+ years/200K miles (+/-) of riding).

I find with "my" motorcycling, (specifically canyon carving/riding fast and aggressive) some days are better/easier than others, which has been like that since I began riding. With that in mind, when the feeling is not there/or not clicking I don't push it, however when it is there I go all the way with no worries/free as a bird.

To help create consistency/speed/safety when canyon carving (cruising/riding the freeway is typically a no brainier), I find that I'm always looking at the road for gravel/sand/oil/water, while also looking as far through the turn as possible and understanding that my motorcycle goes/will go where I'm looking, and to be relaxed/not rigid - makes for pretty consistent riding each and every time. Oh yea - as for tires/grip, I feel that for the street (not the track) that ALL sport touring tires these day are essentially fantastic and will provide all the grip/lean angle anyone needs, therefore I've just stayed with the O.E.M Met Z8's that came on my R12R (my 3rd set).

In closing, when I ride "IMO" I ride with my mind closed off to the worries, and the bla, bla, bla of the world/job etc. and with no blue tooth, music or intercom because it would greatly limit/be a major distraction to the enjoyment/freedom/quite time/i.e. that different zone which motorcycling "can" provide.

#11 ·
Agree, I have 'on' and 'off' days even after 42 years of riding. The difference is striking!

I believe it's some combination of physical & mental health, rest, relaxation, comfort and concentration. When I'm 'on' it's effortless, the bike is an extension of myself, I'm focused externally on situational awareness, and nothing outside the ride exists. When I'm 'off', it's a chore and my riding sucks.

I find it easier to get into that Zen state of oneness when I ride more, riding every day or on multi-day trips, after which I'm actually more comfortable riding than walking! Here's AeroStitch's "Top Ten Ways To Do More Riding":

Motorcycle Humor - Top 10 Ways To Do More Riding - Aerostich Riderwearhouse

#12 ·
I believe it's some combination of physical & mental health, rest, relaxation, comfort and concentration. When I'm 'on' it's effortless, the bike is an extension of myself, I'm focused externally on situational awareness, and nothing outside the ride exists. When I'm 'off', it's a chore and my riding sucks.

I find it easier to get into that Zen state of oneness when I ride more, riding every day or on multi-day tripsMotorcycle Humor - Top 10 Ways To Do More Riding - Aerostich Riderwearhouse
yep, what he says. I have always attributed it to paying attention and muscle memory-as dbyker says. But also, there are some roads and situations that are just easier to ride. As we age our reflexes are not as good, we are not as strong, and likely have more on our minds. I've never had the occasion to turn around and go home, but I do hear myself reminding me to pay attention. Also, when I get that feeling that God's in His Heaven and All's right with the World, the alarm bell sounds and I double check everything. For me that sensation is a manifestation of Pride, and I understand it goes before a fall.

To Erin's point, yes have routine eye exams. Your vision deteriorates with age and the changes can be subtle until critical mass is achieved. Things like cataracts - they occur often enough in people as young as mid 40s-, glaucoma, macular degeneration, etc all of that can be picked up during a regular eye exam and could have dire consequences for the safety of your ride.

#15 ·
We all have up and down days, there's a few ways of describing this 'Biorythms' is one I'm aware of. I have days where i'm completley dialled in to what I'm doing and others not so. I just recognise how I'm feeling and ride accordingly. Sometimes it feels good to push a bit, and sometimes it's lovely to just chill out and enjoy the scenery. Sometimes i just feel off, and thats OK I'm just careful.

All of us are getting older, even the 20 somethings with the GSXRs, age affects everyone, however it's not all bad. With age comes wisdom and an appreciation of whats really important in life. I've learnt to embrace whats good about my age. And also to go with the flow and not sweat the small stuff.

#17 ·
Agree with what everyone is saying...seems to boil down to "In the ZONE" or "Not in the Zone"....today for example went out for a ride with a friend after not riding for 2 or 3 weeks..figured I would probably be somewhat OFF ...on the contrary I was way into the Zone...got to our coffee stop and my friend who was following remarked that "You were In The Zone today"...had very poor sleep last night and coming down with a cold or something...and yet I was In The Zone today...don't know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.