BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been trying to work out some way of getting rid of the chrome discoloration. Read most of the posts around here and see that there are roughly three approaches: 1) let it be 2) polish till you bleed or 3) ceramic coat it. I’ve been around 1) and 2), but getting too old for 2) and too OCD for 1). 3) seems like it’s more pain than gain as everyone seems to complain about becoming too dull too quickly.
I’ve recently come across the concept of jet powder ceramic coating through a telltale from a friend. He wasn’t able to give much useful info but I got curious and found online a few places where this is presented as the next big thing since the wheel.
I’m too old for fairytales and was wondering if anyone around here could vouch for the claims of no discolouration and dullness over time. Does anyone know where I could get this done in the UK?
RCM

13 R12R

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
A quick Google and it seems your friend might be referring to a proprietary name Jet-Hot Coatings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I’ve been trying to work out some way of getting rid of the chrome discoloration. Read most of the posts around here and see that there are roughly three approaches: 1) let it be 2) polish till you bleed or 3) ceramic coat it. I’ve been around 1) and 2), but getting too old for 2) and too OCD for 1). 3) seems like it’s more pain than gain as everyone seems to complain about becoming too dull too quickly.
I’ve recently come across the concept of jet powder ceramic coating through a telltale from a friend. He wasn’t able to give much useful info but I got curious and found online a few places where this is presented as the next big thing since the wheel.
I’m too old for fairytales and was wondering if anyone around here could vouch for the claims of no discolouration and dullness over time. Does anyone know where I could get this done in the UK?
RCM

13 R12R
I had my akro header ceramic coated a satin black about 4 years ago (75,000 mi.), look good, but eventually
it started to fad and turn a light brown.

·
Registered
44 Posts
RCM

13 R12R
Hello
here is a supplier in Germany
and here is a list of suppliers across Europe
But I have no experience with them.
Greetings
Hexer

·
Registered
102 Posts
RCM

13 R12R
They're all pretty much the same coating, regardless of shop. As a rule, the shinier the coating, the less it's gonna hold up to higher temps. The polished/chrome-y look coatings will definitely start to dull where the headers meet the cylinder. They won't really discolor they just won't shine. And they can be polished again. The only real solution to your problem is double walled headers or covers of some sort. If you're OCD about chrome, Harley Davidson is a legitimate option.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all.
@MGL really nice looking bike. To have withstood 75k miles and only have slight brownish look is actually pretty good.
One of the things that a coating could help with is pitting and subsequent rust. You'll see below on mine that the headers close to the cylinders have lost the shine and are rather yellowish up to the catalyst and the valve. The silencer is ok-ish. The yellowish I believe is rust from the pitting.
@hexer I've heard of cerakote doesn't seem to be too dissimilar from zircotek which is closer to me. Another friend of mine has zircotek and he isn't too happy about it.
I take onboard @R1200N8's comments about double walled headers. Unfortunately I think the only beemer that ever got it was the R12C and don't think I'll be able to get a custom double wall for the R12R. The other problem is that we don't really know what is going on in the inside pipe - I think I would be able to live with it, though :)
One possible solution would be to buy a new header and have it ceramic coated just on the inside so that the temperature isn't as high and thus delays the discolouring and rusting of the headers. This, however, is quite the investment as the headers alone are ~£1.5k and the coating would be another £300.
I like the examples I found on "Maldon Shotblasting" site (link) but I agree that, like @R1200N8 states, the shinier the more likely it is for the coating to loose its shine.
It's a shame there isn't, as of yet, a better solution to this...
Thanks,
RCM

1 - 7 of 7 Posts