BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to a Harley dealer yesterday to see about trading my 2018 Fatbob for a 2020 Street Glide, i arrived on my work vehicle (i am a plumber).
My work uniform is what i wear 90% of the time and some of my shirts show normal signs of wear and tear, besides of being a little stained by glue and primer.
It too a while to get somebody to even pay attention to me, after that they asked me what my budget was so they could direct me to the right place.
When i said i would know my budget when i found the right bike they gave me the "look", when i told him what i had and what i wanted to do, he asked instructed me that i needed really good credit to be able to do that in a kind of a sarcastic tone.
I told him to figure out what a 2018 Fatbob with 1000 miles would be worth in trade and to give me a call and left my number........Still waiting for the call.:rolleyes::unsure:

·
Registered
40 Posts
A friend of mine had a similar experience in France . He went to the HD dealer right out of work and the salesman treated him as a tourist. (he was riding a crippled 600 fazer back then).
He finally bought a 1200 custom, cash, but from another dealer.

·
Super Moderator
R1200R-LC Exclusive, 06/2015, Thunder Grey
4,453 Posts
Years ago a friend was a Ford salesman. Late on a Friday afternoon a guy came in dressed as you describe. The other salesmen averted their eyes from this apparent tyre-kicker.

My friend thought, no, I treat each customer equally. He sold two F100’s that afternoon, much to the dismay of his colleagues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WELL,, guess what, tuesday i will be taking delivery of my new Indian Challenger!!, i will ride it by the HD dealership and show it to the HD salesman, which by the way, i am still waiting for the call:cool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
That will be sweet!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Went to a Harley dealer yesterday to see about trading my 2018 Fatbob for a 2020 Street Glide, i arrived on my work vehicle (i am a plumber).
My work uniform is what i wear 90% of the time and some of my shirts show normal signs of wear and tear, besides of being a little stained by glue and primer.
It too a while to get somebody to even pay attention to me, after that they asked me what my budget was so they could direct me to the right place.
When i said i would know my budget when i found the right bike they gave me the "look", when i told him what i had and what i wanted to do, he asked instructed me that i needed really good credit to be able to do that in a kind of a sarcastic tone.
I told him to figure out what a 2018 Fatbob with 1000 miles would be worth in trade and to give me a call and left my number........Still waiting for the call.:rolleyes::unsure:
Like when. I walked in to San Jose BMW. Told the saleswoman I wanted a specific bike, that i knew there were 3 in Northern California and they could easily get one.
But no call back, not even after I emailed the sales mg!

3 weeks later , long after I had already taken delivery of one of those bikes....I get a advertisement email, like a mass mailing from that dealership..
I suppose they used the contact info to send me that spam...
Sad.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,343 Posts
Many years ago I wanted to buy my wife some pearls and got similar treatment from the staff, offering me plastic pearls (as that's in my budget). I was so pissed that he had assumed that because I rode a bike and wore dirty leathers I could not afford the real thing so I asked to see the manager. He looked down on me as well until he noticed I was wearing an omega speedmaster, suddenly his attitude changed, he told the assistant to bugger off and started getting out the real stuff for me to see. These days this sort of thing should not happen as there have been plenty of lottery winners who normally dress in flip flops and a vest.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Nice! My little Indian doesn't mind sharing garage space with my BMW's...and the expression on people's faces when they ask "What kind of bikes do you have?" and I reply by telling them I have a couple of BMW's and an Indian is priceless. Like cats & dogs living together...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! My little Indian doesn't mind sharing garage space with my BMW's...and the expression on people's faces when they ask "What kind of bikes do you have?" and I reply by telling them I have a couple of BMW's and an Indian is priceless. Like cats & dogs living together...
Agree, when i told a guy yesterday that in my garage i have a Triumph rocket x, a BMWR 1200, an Indian Challenger, a Can Am Spyder F3 T and a benelli 135, he askked me 'why" with a weird expression on his face, my answer with a smile was; "beacuse i want and because i can". then i realized that the expression on his face was envy, but that is another story.

·
Registered
R1250R
63 Posts
I find the opposite.

The attitude of dealers in Scotland and across the UK is that anybody who walks in the door is a potential customer. Get em signed up to PCP, sell em a servicing package and rip em off for gap insurance.

Now I’m not rich, and I’m certainly not flash, and my watch cost me a tenner on Amazon. But if I’m buying a bike, I’ve saved up and I’m paying cash. And I’m not buying rip off GAP insurance etc etc

One dealer told me – cash doesn’t do anything for us, we make our money selling finance.

So basically, they droll over the customers walking in the door who can’t really afford what they are selling – but hey anybody can sign up for PCP.

But the dudes walking in who can actually afford to buy what they are selling – well lots of dealers don’t wanna know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I find the opposite.

The attitude of dealers in Scotland and across the UK is that anybody who walks in the door is a potential customer. Get em signed up to PCP, sell em a servicing package and rip em off for gap insurance.

Now I’m not rich, and I’m certainly not flash, and my watch cost me a tenner on Amazon. But if I’m buying a bike, I’ve saved up and I’m paying cash. And I’m not buying rip off GAP insurance etc etc

One dealer told me – cash doesn’t do anything for us, we make our money selling finance.

So basically, they droll over the customers walking in the door who can’t really afford what they are selling – but hey anybody can sign up for PCP.

But the dudes walking in who can actually afford to buy what they are selling – well lots of dealers don’t wanna know.
Since last week they are not making very much on finance charges due to the virus, besides, with good credit the finance charges are minimal. What the dealers tel you is that the money is in the service department not on the bikes.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Like when. I walked in to San Jose BMW. Told the saleswoman I wanted a specific bike, that i knew there were 3 in Northern California and they could easily get one.
But no call back, not even after I emailed the sales mg!

3 weeks later , long after I had already taken delivery of one of those bikes....I get a advertisement email, like a mass mailing from that dealership..
I suppose they used the contact info to send me that spam...
Sad.

I spent a lifetime in retailing, so can claim to know a little about customer service. I have often said on Forums like this that in my opinion the retail side of the motorcycle trade is by far the worst of all retail categories. This particularly applies to the buying of new bikes, where one would think that 'service' would be at its highest. There have of course been a few exceptions, far and few between. Many of the sales people I have come across shouldn't be allowed within a mile of a potential customer, and there have been some who I wouldn't trust further than I could throw a GS. Indeed, some have made the buying experience, which should be a joyous thing, a real PITA. It's a pity, really.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Since last week they are not making very much on finance charges due to the virus, besides, with good credit the finance charges are minimal. What the dealers tel you is that the money is in the service department not on the bikes.
Same in bicycle industry (and many others) where I worked for many years. Not enough profit margin or sales volume to make money on new bikes - parts and service is where the shops make their money. And they are not getting rich! Don't resent spending a few dollars to keep your local shops in business, otherwise they won't be there when you need them.

·
Registered
R1250R
63 Posts
We’re in lockdown, so I don’t think they will be making any money for the next few weeks or months – who knows how long.

I’ll go with PCP or finance if the deal is to my liking, but the PCP deal on the R1250R worked out at 9.9% APR. No thanks.

I spent a lifetime in retailing, so can claim to know a little about customer service. I have often said on Forums like this that in my opinion the retail side of the motorcycle trade is by far the worst of all retail categories. This particularly applies to the buying of new bikes, where one would think that 'service' would be at its highest. There have of course been a few exceptions, far and few between. Many of the sales people I have come across shouldn't be allowed within a mile of a potential customer, and there have been some who I wouldn't trust further than I could throw a GS. Indeed, some have made the buying experience, which should be a joyous thing, a real PITA. It's a pity, really.
I hear you. Many people are put off changing their car or bike because the process is a nightmare, and at many dealers the attitude is that they are entitled to rip you off - slick high pressure sales techniques are deployed, and if you protest they’ll then make out you are a difficult customer.

Don't resent spending a few dollars to keep your local shops in business, otherwise they won't be there when you need them.
I dunno about the states and other countries, but in the UK many Motorrad dealers are tied to big multi car franchises.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Same in bicycle industry (and many others) where I worked for many years. Not enough profit margin or sales volume to make money on new bikes - parts and service is where the shops make their money. And they are not getting rich! Don't resent spending a few dollars to keep your local shops in business, otherwise they won't be there when you need them.
I don't mind supporting my dealers but my problem is that i want it now and they don't have it and they say they have to order it, hell, i can do that from my house :D

·
Super Moderator
R1200R-LC Exclusive, 06/2015, Thunder Grey
4,453 Posts
I have a good relationship with our local dealer - but I think they see me more as a brand ambassador than a money tree. I have referred one customer, convincing him he needed an S1000R rather than a sports bike, and he doesn't even lift a spanner so they do all his servicing and tyres, and I'm always supportive on their Facebook page.

In 80,000 km, the only service money they've made from me was to code the used Shift Assist I'd fitted, and a pretty lucrative remove-replace insurance job after a low-side. The parts department is separate to the bike sales/service team - they've made a few shekels from me for filters and nano-gold impregnated fork oil.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts