BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Western NC. My first bike in 1969 was a used r69us, in the 90's I had a K75 with many other bikes over the years. Currently fourth year with a highly upgraded Vstrom 650..........and a waxing interest in the R1200R.

So, any comments on what to expect, particularly handling in the twisties and for long range comfort, in comparison to my current ride will be appreciated. Unfortunately the local, Asheville, dealer does not offer test rides so any suggestions within 500 miles?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
BMW Motorrad dealers in Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh.
Chattanooga & Nashville TN.
Marietta & Norcross GA.
Go ride one!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks.....I have already been on the phone and had some welcome conversations and information, should be able to test ride this next week.

·
Registered
800 Posts
From Western NC. My first bike in 1969 was a used r69us, in the 90's I had a K75 with many other bikes over the years. Currently fourth year with a highly upgraded Vstrom 650..........and a waxing interest in the R1200R.

So, any comments on what to expect, particularly handling in the twisties and for long range comfort, in comparison to my current ride will be appreciated. Unfortunately the local, Asheville, dealer does not offer test rides so any suggestions within 500 miles?

Thanks in advance!
I considered the Vstrom 1000 before getting the R. Not bad, but didn't want to deal with the chain and it was just too... "camping" oriented. My son has an SV650 and I really love that engine! You're in for a treat! :D

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
![/QUOTE]Unfortunately the local, Asheville, dealer does not offer test rides so any suggestions within 500 miles?
Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
Kangarooman, Would that be Asheville Eurosport ?
Doesn't the owner have two restaurants in Asheville?
Have you dealt with them, and if so, what was your customer experience like? Just curious.
Charlotte BMW is in a grand new building now, and has service prices to match the rent. They were less expensive and easier to approach
when located in the strip mall. Times change. Ol' tarheel boy talking here. Wonder if you'd give us a test ride review? Whether you buy one, or not!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately the local, Asheville, dealer does not offer test rides so any suggestions within 500 miles?
Thanks in advance![/QUOTE]
Kangarooman, Would that be Asheville Eurosport ?
Correct

Doesn't the owner have two restaurants in Asheville?
I am not aware of this

Have you dealt with them, and if so, what was your customer experience like? Just curious.
A good friend bought an F650 there last year with $3K plus of farkles and was very satisfied with the entire transaction. After being introduced to them I purchased some riding apparel. Very pleased and almost surprised by the personal attention.

Knowledgeable staff on the M/C details/specs. Six months or so ago I mentioned I was considering the R1200R (2nd choice) with the Moto Guzzi Griso as a first, just waiting for the right time in $$$$. Last month I test rode the Griso after oogling it for months and sitting on it in the showroom. I literally took the checkbook when I went for the scheduled test ride. I loved the feel, sound, power, ergos (knowing I would need up and back risers) but was dissapointed with the work to make it handle in the twisties. Perhaps I would adjust, but I left satisfied with my 650 Vstrom. I have invested heavily in it with a Russel seat, Elka suspension, Akrapovic and innumerable smaller items.

Maybe I have a good thing going and shouldn't rock the boat, yet,I still feel ready for a change if I can get more of a bike without losing the handling and comfort I have established. More power on the short list and then change for change. Last week I rode my Vstrom on a 1500 mile round trip to Baltimore, MD for the heck of it, essentially have a dinner with an old friend. On the way back I stopped at Eurosport..............and you know the rest.

A good friend and riding buddy has a 1200 GS is familiar with the 1200R from riding a friend's of his and is certain I will love it as is another friend in TN who has a dualsport accessory store. Both convinced I would not regret the change even suggesting I don't need to test ride first. Perhaps, but I have to be sold on the ride. That simple. No two bikes in the garage, RULE #1 with wife. So the sequence is ride, like, sell, buy.

Charlotte BMW is in a grand new building now, and has service prices to match the rent. They were less expensive and easier to approach
when located in the strip mall. Times change. Ol' tarheel boy talking here. Wonder if you'd give us a test ride review? Whether you buy one, or not![/QUOTE]

Two dealers have offered test rides, will keep posted when I am able to make time between work and weather.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Wouldn't want you to break rule#1 with the wife, so ride, like, sell, buy.
I have a strong feeling you will like it if the bike you test ride is a new one with fresh tires and suspension. My son, coming off his CBR1000RR, rode mine up a tight mountain road when it was new. His comment was, in the right hands this bike could be a weapon. Not my hands for sure, but I think it's sporty enough.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
test rides on R1200Rs can be dangerous..it was to me.. I was not even looking, considering, aware of the R1200R when I went looking for a new bike.. test rode a few... then was told I should give the R a chance.. so I decided I'll give it a try.. got on it.. started it.. rode for about 5 seconds and couldn't stop grinning.. a few weeks later my old bike was sold and I was on the hunt for finding the 'perfect' R1200R for me ... now I will be broke for a while, but happy :001_smile:

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Couldn't agree more. I had an F800r for 7months/12,000miles or so. I loved it. I took it to the dealer for routine service. Mistake No. 1- While I was waiting for the work to be finished, took the R1200r demo bike for a spin. Mistake No. 2. I had my checkbook with me to pay for the service. Little did i know that i would find myself compelled to trade my beloved F bike for the R Classic by the immutable natural phenomenon as expressed in the mathematical equation: Ride the R + checkbook = Buy. (Well, at least that's what I explained to my wife who wanted to know how come I left home with a white bike with red and white stripes and came home with a black one with white stripes!- as I explained to my wife, you really don't want to mess with the laws of nature. im pretty sure that Newton was the first to recognize this law. Pythagoras would have come up with it first if BMW had a dealership in Greece ( and his wife let him take the checkbook)

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Test Ride Phenomenon

+1 las as usual has given good advice. Right on the money!!!:iagree:

BMW stands for Bring More Wallet.:001_smile:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[ Mistake No. 2. I had my checkbook with me ..............the immutable natural phenomenon as expressed in the mathematical equation:

Ride the R + checkbook = Buy. [/QUOTE]

I am really hoping that is the case!!!

I am not clear yet on the Classic designation. Aren't all R's classic? and the colors listed as blue and something else for the '13's, yet the only '13 I have seen is a black 90 th anniversary.

Should the test ride be so compelling, should I hold out for the ESA option, which my friend with a 1200GS suggests? or possibly seek a used one, farkled for less$. What years have the ESA? BMW cynics say stay away from older ones because of the servo brakes.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
[ Mistake No. 2. I had my checkbook with me ..............the immutable natural phenomenon as expressed in the mathematical equation:

Ride the R + checkbook = Buy.
I am really hoping that is the case!!!

I am not clear yet on the Classic designation. Aren't all R's classic? and the colors listed as blue and something else for the '13's, yet the only '13 I have seen is a black 90 th anniversary.

Should the test ride be so compelling, should I hold out for the ESA option, which my friend with a 1200GS suggests? or possibly seek a used one, farkled for less$. What years have the ESA? BMW cynics say stay away from older ones because of the servo brakes.[/QUOTE]

the classic edition is the black one with the white stripe down the middle.. it also has spoked wheels (with tubed tires) and more chrome additions to it. Else it is the same bike.. the other colors are just not referred to as classic..

I am pretty sure ESA was an option for those bikes for a while now.. at least starting with the 2011 bikes I know they all had the optional ESA. It's about 700$ more for getting the ESA option if I remember that correctly...

Mine has an ESA, the main advantage for ESA is obviously being able to change the settings while on the bike (some while riding, others you have to pull over for.. mostly the spring load options I believe). But even without ESA the adjustments for the suspension are pretty easily done manually on those bikes. So it depends if it you find it worth it to spend that much more on that option.

What I would like instead of the ESA is the cruise control the R1250GS has!! that would be worth an extra chunk of money to me.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What I would like instead of the ESA is the cruise control the R1250GS has!! that would be worth an extra chunk of money to me.[/QUOTE]

Have you tried a throttle lock? I believe THROTTLEMEISTER makes it for BMW. I recently put a KAOKA throttle lock on my Vstrom which has made long rides a whole lot nicer. Granted, not cruise control, but closer.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
What I would like instead of the ESA is the cruise control the R1250GS has!! that would be worth an extra chunk of money to me.
Have you tried a throttle lock? I believe THROTTLEMEISTER makes it for BMW. I recently put a KAOKA throttle lock on my Vstrom which has made long rides a whole lot nicer. Granted, not cruise control, but closer.[/QUOTE]

Have been thinking about getting a throttle lock... But need to first get more familiar with riding the R1200R before trying it.. Am fairly new to riding and have mostly ridden cruiser bikes in the past.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Did I sleep for several years in here? R1250GS???? Can someone share a picture with me please. :p
well, probably not.. I really should not call it the 1250 .. I was talking about the new water cooled GS.. which is still called the R1200GS as far as I can tell.

Here both of them (new air/liquid cooled on left, 'old' air/oil cooled on right)

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
New BMWs have electronic throttle control. (fly by wire) So no more throttle cables to adjust. The electronic cruise control should be more like that on automobiles. With a manual throttle lock, slippage is a common problem. Hills & strong head winds can cause the bike to lose speed, especially if you're cruising at the speed limit. I don't!
Have used THROTTLEMEISTER on R1100s. KAOKA gets excellent reviews now. Wunderlich makes one. Some GS guys prefer Go Cruise. Simple and easy. Throttle Rocker &/or other devices, I've tried half a dozen.YMMV
motorcycle throttle control

Throttlemeister - Home

1 - 20 of 20 Posts