BMW R1200R Forum banner

Just missed seeing a friend go down

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Gone in 60 
#1 ·
This just sort of weirded me out... Recently, one of my friends here at the office started commuting on a motorcycle. We take the same highway home, but he has another 15 miles past my exit. He got tired of my bragging about how much a motorcycle cuts down the commute time... his is unbearable in a car.

I've been coaching him a bit, and with some suggestions, he picked up a used SV650 - good first bike that can stand up to L.A. freeway speeds.

He's been riding and gaining skills, but started commuting a little sooner than I thought he would. I cautioned him on it, but he said he was ready. He's a race car driver, so he's cautious by nature when it comes to confidence level and isn't a risky guy.

Unfortunately, he went down on the way home last night. Not bad, got sideswiped by a cab going about 35 in traffic. He wasn't banged up (he's adopted the ATGATT mantra). I left about 30 minutes behind him, and going over a freeway bridge that gave me a good view up the highway (in gridlock traffic), I saw flashing lights on the center divider shoulder a few miles up.

By the time I got to that point, everything was cleaned up and gone, but I found out this morning that it was my friend. He's a bit bruised but otherwise OK - he came to work in his truck like nothing was wrong, and told me about the accident.

Bike should be ok with a few bits here and there, he got a mouthful from his girlfriend, who wants him to sell the bike.

Ride carefully, friends!

See less See more
#3 ·
My commute just got to be too insane. Gave it up a couple of years ago. Traffic kept getting worse and it seems that everyone who shares that route on 4 wheels thinks they are so extremely important and so very late to work that they just can't tolerate a motorcycle in front of them... or anywhere near them, for that matter. Close calls became the norm.

Glad your friend is ok. My son rides an SV650 and refuses to give it up even though he briefly had a full on GSXR. Loves the torque and the v-twin rumble. Do anything, go anywhere bike, that.

Bob

#4 ·
That sucks. But glad your friend was OK. A few bruises, but at least he was still able to walk away :)

Numpties are everywhere, I tell you. Just three weeks ago (less 1 day), this guy drove right into me from behind while I was stopping at the roundabout to give way to cars that were already on the roundabout. I'm not sure what he was doing at the time, but whatever it was, paying attention to where he was going was not it.

Not a single scratch or bruise on me, luckily. The R1200R wasn't so lucky though, and I'm still bikeless as at this post.

#5 ·
Ouch, Twitch! Sorry to hear that. My friend is back to commuting with his truck, and grumbling about it, but his girlfriend is happy that he's agreed to sell his SV650.

Knock on wood, I've been lucky on my commute, and use the old axiom "ride like you're invisible", while trying to make myself as visible as possible. Just this morning, a Toyota truck merged into my space while I was getting on the freeway - same place everyone veers over at the last second for the freeway, so I was ready for it, happens all the time. Distracted driving, late for work... just have to be ready for it.

I have to say, it makes you very alert when you get to work. It was raining yesterday, so I took my car, and sat in the herd on the freeway (I won't commute in freeway rush hour in the rain). I couldn't believe how brain-dead I was when I got there!

Reactions: BlueRhino
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.