BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 2018 R12R (with Keyless Ride) to the dealer for the annual service today. No issues but on the way home I stopped at the mall for an hour and when I came back, the bike would not start and the dash light indicated it could not 'find' the Keyless Ride key fob which was in my jacket pocket where it always is.

I tried over and over, putting the fob on the seat, removing the pillion seat and placing it on the antenna like the manual showed (lucky I had the service book with me) but nothing would get it started. I had had no low battery warning lights prior to the service so I doubted it was the battery in the key. Of course my emergency key was at home 50km away so after 1/2 hour I phoned Roadside Assist.

After another 45 minutes trying the key in every position possible, disconnecting battery, checking fuses, checking antenna etc. the technician got the ignition to fire up and I started the bike. He said he had no ideas what was going on and to call the Dealer.

When I got home (desperately making sure I didn't stall), I switched off the bike, went and got the emergency key fob and the bike fired up first time and every time. I tried the main key, nothing. For fun I swapped the battery in the key even though my battery tester showed it has 50% charge. To my surprise the bike started first time and about 10 times after. Next morning I went to jump on the bike with my main key and low and behold, nothing - key not registered. tried over and over but eventually resorted to the flimsy plastic emergency key to get going. I checked the new battery in the main key and as expected it was at 100% so not a battery problem.

I need to take the bike to the dealer but I wondered if anyone else has had similar issues with the Keyless Ride fob and if so, what was the solution. Unbelievable that a convenience feature should leave me stranded - good job it didn't happen on one of my longer rides. BM should seriously think about a manual backup ignition - I have a key after all but it's only purpose it to remove the pillion seat so I can use the emergency key !

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
Irrelevant comment - the main reason I saved $300 and waited 3 months rather than buy a 1200R Exclusive off the floor.

Reactions: Stricko

·
Registered
599 Posts
Well, if it started consistently with the emergency key but not the fob, I’d suspect a damaged or defective fob. Someone more knowledgeable could chime in, but I know they advise keeping these wireless keys away from the vehicle (to lessen draw on the battery?) and anything giving a magnetic field. I’ve had my fob not register when the bike was running...it was under my jacket...against my shirt. I don’t know how durable these things are to adverse conditions.

Hence why I keep the emergency key in my “essential tool bag” in the top case.

·
2,617 Posts
Haven’t had an issue with my ‘17 LC keyless system. I do keep the emergency key in my tank bag just in case. Seems to me there must be an issue with your FOB. Might be best to have the dealer wipe & reprogram FOB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,617 Posts
Tend to agree - sounds like a lousy fob. I have a spare physical key ($37), and I tape the E-key inside my helmet cheek pad.

E-key inside helmet cheek sounds like a good idea. Never would have thought of that - nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Keyless Entry

Is it just me, or do the Keyless Entry and Security Alarm
equipped bikes have a higher failure rate? Any thoughts?
Is the bike version the same as the car version?
BMW sedan - Lexus sedan - Prius too
Thirty years and never a glitch or a hiccup.
I opted to avoid these options and ordered a boxer from the factory.
Waiting three months was worth it for me.
Think Panzermann feels the same.
Many BMW dealers like to stock bikes with all the bells and whistles.
If you don't want to wait, you have to buy what is on the floor or in the warehouse.

·
2,617 Posts
Hmm, engine management systems - electronic fuel injection. I say bring back carburettors, starter rotors, ignition coils...

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Sweet Dreams

Fuel injection on the Boxer and Honda have been perfect and uneventful.
Although my 30+ year-old carb bikes are also still pumping right along.
My Roadster's ABS hasn't failed and the ESA has been flawless.
Unlike the fuel strip, which failed once.
Don't want to return to distributor, points and condensers.
Electronic ignition has been good for me.
A group of GEEK savvy car thieves here have a system to
fool the keyless entry vehicles and liberate them from owners.
All brands have been victims.
Maybe it is too much internet for tonight.
I'll feel better in the morning.0:)

·
2,617 Posts
No need to drop the ball @Clem - you made some valid points...

Reactions: Clem

·
Registered
599 Posts
Is it just me, or do the Keyless Entry and Security Alarm
equipped bikes have a higher failure rate? Any thoughts?
To my knowledge, keyless tech is fairly reliable. If the fob for my Prius goes bad (battery), you can touch it to the ring at the Start button and it’s supposed to be close enough to the antenna to work with a weak battery. I don’t hear of many outright fob failures.

That said, these fobs are usually not weatherproof, and I mentioned not storing one near a strong magnetic field.

I know BMW riders didn’t think highly of the anti theft system since a fob malfunction would kill the bike. For US models, you get all the bells and whistles except the extra security system, so I didn’t worry. I have more of a complaint with the bulkiness of the BMW fob...considering it’s supposed to be for a motorcycle.

That said, if a fob acts squirrelly more than once in a rare occasion, first check is a weak battery. I don’t know how far a range the fob is supposed to have or how easy it is for an object (i.e., your body or tank bag contents) to block the signal from reaching the antenna.

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
E-key inside helmet cheek sounds like a good idea. Never would have thought of that - nice.
I thought that too, until I recalled I often lock my helmet in my topcase ...

Chip under the skin is probably a better idea - just have your new BMW coded to it each time you changeover.

·
2,617 Posts
I thought that too until I recalled I often lock my helmet in my top case ...

Chip under the skin is probably a better idea - just have your new BMW coded to it each time you changeover.

As you say a chip under the skin might be a better idea, but I would probably give vinegar and salt a miss...

·
Registered
647 Posts
I agree that it could be an unhappy fob.

Even so...
I like the Keyless Dealy Bob, but wish there was at least some way to clip it to a key ring.
I keep a spare battery under the seat, with a copy of the instructions on how to replace it.
The emergency key stays in my Aerostich "secret" pocket, in case of total failure of the key.

My car has a keyless fob, too, and I keep a spare battery for it in the car, too. Same battery for both vehicles, too.
CR2032, and my Snark Guitar Tuner and our kitchen scale use the CR2032 as well.

I buy a couple dozen of those batteries every so often. They don't work in pay phones.

·
2,617 Posts
All those spare strategically placed CR2032 batteries sound like you might be a little bit of an over-preparer. Just need to bit more discreet about your battery obsession because if @Lawrence of Suburbia catches on, he might suggest you have enough stored energy squealed away to propel you and the bike to the moon and back. I shudder to think what @Panzermann might come at you with.

BTW - I keep a box of those little suckers in the garage and change the FOB, my small headlight torch (stay in the jacket), car & garage door remote (wife & sons cars) every three months. Might be OTT but need to keep powered up...

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
BTW - I keep a box of those little suckers in the garage and change the FOB, my small headlight torch (stay in the jacket), car & garage door remote (wife & sons cars) every three months. Might be OTT but need to keep powered up...
I too keep a stock of AA, AAA and various button batteries in the garage for the miscellaneous torches, remotes, watches etc about the house. Unlike you however, Mike, and like my tyres, I don’t change them pre-emptively. Save the planet - don’t waste those electrons. 0:)

·
2,617 Posts
Save the planet you say @Panzermann AKA two-bikes or is that two-dogs? I'm doing my bit for the planet one-bike and one-cat, But I did snap up a share box of those batteries just in case those doomsday preppers snap up all the CR2032s (I'm not counting the three family cars and assorted trailers tho’ ).

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quick Update. Spoke to the dealer - he reckons he's had a few problems with the Keyless Ride fob on the GS's and blamed it on water in the fob. Despite the fact my fob has't been near rain for months I humoured him and opened the battery cover and let it 'dry out' overnight. Unbelievably, the next morning the fob worked and has done since. The fob has never got wet but I'm wondering if it could be condensation or just a dud key fob. Either way, a new key fob is on the way.

All those suggesting keeping the spare in took kit, surely you don't mean the one strapped under the seat? That's a quick way to see you bike disappear - my emergency key works from at least 2 feet from the antenna.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts