BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Could be you're a sweaty git /forum/images/R1200Rforum_2015/smilies/tango_face_wink.png/forum/images/R1200Rforum_2015/smilies/tango_face_surprise.png/forum/images/R1200Rforum_2015/smilies/tango_face_grin.png
Sweat could do it. Shows whoever designed the fob didn’t think on what it was for.

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
I keep my e key in my wallet and the wallet in my front pants pocket. Had to use it once because of a dead battery in my fob. Now have extra battery in my tank case.
Still love the bike.

Reactions: Mint

·
Registered
657 Posts
We certainly don't want a Ride-Less Key! Always keep a spare battery handy.:)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Two feet? Dude, nice. Mine doesn't work 2" away. I keep mine taped under my cheek pad and a spare hard accessory and luggage key buried under the liner inside my tank bag

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree that it could be an unhappy fob.

Even so...
I like the Keyless Dealy Bob, but wish there was at least some way to clip it to a key ring.
I keep a spare battery under the seat, with a copy of the instructions on how to replace it.
The emergency key stays in my Aerostich "secret" pocket, in case of total failure of the key.

My car has a keyless fob, too, and I keep a spare battery for it in the car, too. Same battery for both vehicles, too.
CR2032, and my Snark Guitar Tuner and our kitchen scale use the CR2032 as well.

I buy a couple dozen of those batteries every so often. They don't work in pay phones.
I didn't know what type battery the key fob uses until I read this. I just stashed a 2032 on my bike. Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A mate of mine has had a keyless ignition failure on 2 bikes now (steering locked on), GS & GSA. On both occasions he was left stranded & needed BMW recovery. On one occision the bike was at the dealer for over a week while they tried to reset the security system on the bike. When he questioned it at the dealer a tech let slip that it hadnt tool that long the 1st time it failed! When he questioned this comment the tech admitted the same thing happend the day before he collected the brand new bike. This mate buys lots of BMWs, so he soon dropped the GSA & bought a 1250GSA, a few months later the same thing happend again, now he never uses the steering lock.

·
Registered
275 Posts
A whole load of technology in order to close, then open a contact. I really fancied the exclusive and its lovely matt green paint job, but I also very much wanted to avoid the keyless ignition. So I ordred a lightly specced up base model.

I was slightly disappointed that the bike only came with two keys. Up until now I always ride with one key for the ignition, a second key on my house keys in my pocket (I've dropped and lost an ignition key before) and the third key safely stored at home with all my other spare keys.

Next time I'm at the dealership I'll try and remember to ask em for a quote for a spare key. I'm guessing there is a chip in there for the immobiliser so I can't just get one cut.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Next time I'm at the dealership I'll try and remember to ask em for a quote for a spare key. I'm guessing there is a chip in there for the immobiliser so I can't just get one cut.
You would be correct... And it's an expensive spare.

Reactions: Gareth

·
Registered
140 Posts
BMW-standards expensive. Not BMW-run-o-the-mill spare...

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
if you wrap your little e-key in foil it won't start the bike. I've done that and keep it in my emergency tyre repair kit.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
These little gems are a bargain, I reckon ...

View attachment 108472
😉

Peanuts, Pz! See pic below of the account for an op on Honey (Shetland Sheepdog for Those Who Do Not Know). Asterixed (*) at bottom right - @ $24.45; $30.10; $23.10; and $73.95 each, and the small plate into which they were inserted @ a giveaway cost of $353.45. I recall shuddering when presented with this bill, weakly calling for Smelling Salts, and asking if the supplier of these bits was Motorrad!

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
65 Posts
Peanuts, Pz! See pic below of the account for an op on Honey (Shetland Sheepdog for Those Who Do Not Know). Asterixed (*) at bottom right - @ $24.45; $30.10; $23.10; and $73.95 each, and the small plate into which they were inserted @ a giveaway cost of $353.45. I recall shuddering when presented with this bill, weakly calling for Smelling Salts, and asking if the supplier of these bits was Motorrad!

View attachment 108473
Hi Lawrence. I work in orthopaedics (human not pet) and those prices are CHEAP as heck! Do you recall if they were stainless steel or titanium?

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Unaffordium. Thank Dog for pet health insurance! (Actually I don't know what the material is).:cry:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well I can tell you we buy our screws for more than that from our manufacturer, but our stuff is titanium. Stainless is much cheaper so that's probably what they were.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Have you tried Bunnings? (= Home Depot, Lowe's, etc).

·
Registered
598 Posts
Quick Update. Spoke to the dealer - he reckons he's had a few problems with the Keyless Ride fob on the GS's and blamed it on water in the fob.
Perhaps the jacket pocket where you keep the fob is closer to your body than to the outside, and (somehow) slowly absorbs moisture from the greater humidity in that location.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding the key-less FOB loosing connection with the bike. I had the same problem on a long trip, after changing the battery with a generic brand new one, from The Source, before leaving. When I got back home, I found and switched the the old battery back in. Even though it was almost empty it stayed connected perfectly up until the dealership replaced it during a maintenance check with a new one of the same. Basically you need to use the same model battery that came with the FOB (Panasonic I think) and you will be fine.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts