BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
Tend to agree - sounds like a bad fob. I have a spare physical key ($37) and I tape the E-key inside my helmet cheek pad.

Despite having rid myself of 2 x rideless-key bikes some time ago, I must say that I too thought of this idea, for almost any bike/ key. Then I surmised that a nasty helmet-crunching fall might end up penetrating brain with key - ouch! I'd warn against it.

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
Basically you need to use the same model battery that came with the FOB (Panasonic I think) and you will be fine.
I'm struggling to accept that the brand of battery makes a difference. Volts and electrons are volts and electrons, no matter the battery brand, and the FOB wouldn't draw very much current to be critical to amperage output.

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm struggling to accept that the brand of battery makes a difference. Volts and electrons are volts and electrons, no matter the battery brand, and the FOB wouldn't draw very much current to be critical to amperage output.
In theory you're right, but every battery manufacturer has slightly different chemistries and manufacturing processes, which can result in different performance of what seems to be similar batteries. Does the parts fiche say anything about the type of battery, other than the size?

·
Super Moderator
5,417 Posts
I’d think the chemistry (e.g. Lithium, Silver) is likely to be most important, rather than manufacturer, acknowledging there can be quality differences between manufacturers in voltage stability and life.

The MaxBMW parts fiche says Chromium 2032 but I uspect this is a transcription error, taking CR to mean Cr (the chemical symbol for chromium) whereas CR2032 means Lithium Round 20mm diameter, 3.2mm thickness. The image on the fiche is branded Varta (a German brand). Has anyone taken note of the original battery brand for their fob?

The AS Cycles fiche simply specifies CR2032.

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
53 Posts
Chrome or Chromium is probably an error. I think CR is just a prefix.
Lithium batteries are known for their high max power rating. Maybe the fob draws high current for short periods while transmitting.

My Hozelock motorized garden tap doesn't work if I put anything else than lithium batteries in if.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Might be a bit late on this but I have used the cheap Aldi batteries in mine and never had a problem, my mate had to have his fob changed under warranty, he tried 8 batteries good one,s a s well and same problem, fob changed, Aldi battery and all is good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just don't use the Ikea battery and you're good.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Never thought 'key envy' would ever be a thing Gareth, but damn you Sir I now have it. Oh and add 'instrument panel envy' too...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Never thought 'key envy' would ever be a thing Gareth, but damn you Sir I now have it. Oh and add 'instrument panel envy' too...
Yeah it is amazing. You push the 'key' into the slot, turn it, and it closes a contact that turns on the bikes ignition etc. No battery involved.

When I decided to buy mine, I skipped the fully loaded stuff in the showroom (like 4 grand up on the base price!). I did want the exclusive with the green matt paint, but as I put it to the salesman – I’d pay extra if I had to, to avoid keyless ignition. So I went with the base model with a few choice options.

·
Registered
34 Posts
That is exactly what I did too. I bought a base model in black and specced it up exactly as I wanted it.

I had to fight hard with the salesman to be able to order it with a keyed ignition and non-ESA but I managed it in the end and I glad I did! I told him I know exactly what options I want and those I definitely don’t...

·
Registered
275 Posts
That is exactly what I did too. I bought a base model in black and specced it up exactly as I wanted it.

I had to fight hard with the salesman to be able to order it with a keyed ignition and non-ESA but I managed it in the end and I glad I did! I told him I know exactly what options I want and those I definitely don’t...

I went with the ESA. I’m not convinced I would if I was buying again. Yup salesman tried hard to persuade me to go for more options. I just let him wax lyrical, then told him aye or nae, and when it came to keyless ignition, I told him exactly what I thought.

BMW seem to have an attractive base price, but loads of stuff you would think would be standard, are in fact an expensive optional extra. I’m surprised the tyres ain’t an optional extra. They charge pounds for options that cost pennies.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The standard suspension is more than good enough in my opinion.

I usually upgrade my rear suspension on my bikes for a high-quality shock from Ohlins or Nitron etc, which is why I didn’t want the ESA. It turns out that the standard suspension is fine in itself.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
I put a K-tech shock, with spring to suit my weight, on my FZS1000. Transformed the bike.
Ditto on a recent Yamaha 900 Tracer GT - magic carpet/ Rolls Royce ride now!

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
If ever I buy another BMW I will choose a "special build" which is a base model and pick what extras I want, I have a box of bit I've taken off as they came as part of a pack and I didn't really want them. Loaded bikes are available in a couple of days a "special" takes 3-4 months.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If ever I buy another BMW I will choose a "special build" which is a base model and pick what extras I want, I have a box of bit I've taken off as they came as part of a pack and I didn't really want them. Loaded bikes are available in a couple of days a "special" takes 3-4 months.
Yup when I first went to buy mine, late summer 2019, they had a fully loaded exclusive in the showroom ready to go. But the price was over 15.5K – I said no thanks. They told me delivery for my spec would be mid-October – I said no thanks. So with buyer in the shop they tried to sell me their demo model, it was a fully loaded sport model, but their discounted used price was more than my brand new zero miles spec – so I said no thanks and left.

Popped back second week in January and placed my order. Salesman was keen for me to add more options but my spec was my carefully considered spec. So bike was delivered, I think 16th march, just days before the full UK lockdown.

Anyway if you do go for another mjgt, whilst sadly BMW still hasn’t upped the base spec (I mean come on, heated grips, cruise control and tyre pressure monitor should really be standard) at least the system has now changed and you can pick your colour preference with out potentially shelling out for a bunch of options that you have no interest in.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts