BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here from California know what the laws are regarding lane splitting?
Also when you come to a light are you allowed to thread your way to the front and if so is it ok to do it on the right of all the cars or???
Thank you.

Reactions: PinchiHuerinchi

·
Registered
28 Posts
I live in NoCal and have split lanes for thirty years. No, you're not allowed to use the far right lane and ride on the right to pass everyone. You're only allowed to split lanes, and there really aren't any set-in-stone (much less duly enforced) laws regarding the do's and don't's of lane-splitting. It's basically up to the judgment of the cop, who typically applies some approximation of the ten-mph-over rule. At normal freeway cruising speeds, say 70 mph, we're not supposed to split lanes. In stop-and-go traffic even up to, say, 50 mph or so on the freeway, sure, have at it. Obviously it's fine during rush-hour traffic.

And yes, it's perfectly legal to thread your way up to the head of the line at a stop light.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
snip
And yes, it's perfectly legal to thread your way up to the head of the line at a stop light.
including on the right? Just spent some time in that lovely part of your state and didn't see anyone doing it.
I get home to New Orleans and I see a NY-er is doing it here, a formula for death down here

·
Registered
28 Posts
If it's just pulling up to the front of the line at a stop sign, I don't know that it matters what lane you're in or what side of the lane you use. I would still split the lanes, though, rather than go to the right of the car in the far-right lane.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Seems like a dangerous thing to do, even if it is legal. You really are depending on those cagers not to do something stupid (more than you usually are), and if something happens, you have no exit. Must be an experience thing.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Seems like a dangerous thing to do, even if it is legal. You really are depending on those cagers not to do something stupid (more than you usually are), and if something happens, you have no exit. Must be an experience thing.
I totally agree. here in MA, drivers are dangerous and clueless when I'm in my own lane so would never lane split here. Here just about every Masshole driver assumes they could never be wrong so even when they try lane change into you and you honk they shake their heads or give you the finger like you're wrong. Complete idiots on the roads here.

·
Registered
58 Posts
There's a good write up in the latest(July) issue of Cycle World on lane splitting in CA. I live in SoCal and do it regularly. I mostly do it when the car traffic is stopped at lights. It is against the law for cars to try and block your progress or open their doors. Of course that doesn't help much after the fact.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Seems like a dangerous thing to do... ...Must be an experience thing.
+1 I never saw it until I started working in LA. Bikes going 70mph between miles of parked cars. I always figured some moron would open his door or flip a lane change sooner or later. Ka-boom. I lacked the cajones to experiment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Go to the Calif Highway Patrol web page and search lane splitting, they have a complete set of standards now for splitting...This is new.

As for it not being safer, I teach MSF with a retired 25 year Highway Patrol motor cop and he is very clear that in his years he never "rolled' on a lane splitting accident but be did many times to motorcycles being rear ended.

Done properly, I'm much safer splitting lanes in rubber banding stop and go traffic than I ever could be staying in my lane.

Until you have been "there", learned it and developed your skills you will never understand.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Go to the Calif Highway Patrol web page and search lane splitting, they have a complete set of standards now for splitting...This is new.

As for it not being safer, I teach MSF with a retired 25 year Highway Patrol motor cop and he is very clear that in his years he never "rolled' on a lane splitting accident but be did many times to motorcycles being rear ended.

Done properly, I'm much safer splitting lanes in rubber banding stop and go traffic than I ever could be staying in my lane.

Until you have been "there", learned it and developed your skills you will never understand.
Thanks, rad, for a good synopsis, and alternative insight. Here in the midwest, lane splitting remains a bit mysterious :icon_scratch: ...even with your excellent insight, it still seems kinda scary. My bar end mirrors wouldn't help the situation either!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks, rad, for a good synopsis, and alternative insight. Here in the midwest, lane splitting remains a bit mysterious :icon_scratch: ...even with your excellent insight, it still seems kinda scary. My bar end mirrors wouldn't help the situation either!
How true about the mirrors. I rode thousands of miles on my 01' 1150GS with wide bars and I do not understand why BMW put such wide bars on an R. I just put a set of ST bars on my R, almost 2 inches narrower on each side, mucho better for me.

As for safety while splitting, everyday in California you can see riders who do the splitting safely and those that are complete idiots as they fly between cars at fast speeds. It clearly would not be safe in an environment where it was not accepted by the motoring public. Calif is much like Europe where it is an accepted practice and seen by many as one more way to help ease traffic congestion.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Calif is much like Europe where it is an accepted practice and seen by many as one more way to help ease traffic congestion.
Splitting is not universally OK in Europe. In some places (Holland, France, Italy) splitting is acceptable or even legal. In others (German autobahn if traffic is stopped, Swiss cities), it's tolerated. In yet others (Germany other than a stopped Autobahn, Switzerland everywhere else) it'll garner the rider a ticket. Filtering up to the light seems to be OK everywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I commute into London every day and am amazed by other riders. I stay with the traffic if it's moving over 30mph and only filter if it slows below this. It's not always the cars I have to look out for, it's the other bikes still doing 60-70 mph, I check my mirrors regularly but am often surprised with a 'where the **** did he come from'!!!

Reactions: Svaha!Dean

·
Registered
28 Posts

Absolutely.

I have roughly a bazillion miles of lane-splitting time, and only once in all those years did a driver ever try to impede my progress. He didn't do anything as crazy as opening or door or anything (really, who would want to risk seeing their own door smashed and potentially going to jail over it...or much worse, depending on the motorcyclist they pissed off) and after a moment of anger I was easily able to zip on by him. Meanwhile, how many motorcyclists have been rear-ended by idiotic drivers?

I know of one, bare minumim: my brother. Some guy who claimed the sun was in his eyes just punted my brother and his bike at a stop sign, barely even slowing down before ramming him from behind.

No thank you. I'll take my chances with moving to clear spaces. In fact, I recently started turning my highbeams on while lane-splitting, and man but does that work like a charm. I'm now seeing cars left and right go out of their way to move aside and make extra room for me. It's fairly awesome, actually.

If I were on an R1200RT, a Honda ST1300 or a Kawi Concours (the three main rides used by motor cops in this state), splitting lanes with my highbeams on would be a veritable cakewalk. Practically everyone moves aside once they see a cop on a bike approaching, and they can't tell it's not a cop bike until the guy is already zooming on by.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Take a look at this article from Motorcycledaly.com, it's little old but a good read.

"One barrier to widespread adoption of motorcycles as transportation in the USA is that of practical advantage. In most places, two-wheeled transport offers few advantages over the four-wheeled kind. That's partly because unlike almost every other country on Earth, the practice of "lane-splitting"-riding in between lanes of stopped or slow-moving vehicle traffic-is outlawed in what is allegedly the Home of the Free. That means that in every state but California, not only do motorcyclists have to endure the privations of motorcycle travel, they also have to bump along at the maddeningly slow pace of traffic-snarled trucks and automobiles, even though there is little evidence that the practice of lane-splitting (if done in a safe and reasonable fashion) is particularly dangerous.

So kudos to the Arizona legislature for honoring the Goldwater legacy of personal liberty tempered by individual responsibility with Arizona House Bill 2475. Introduced by Harley-Davidson-riding Representative Jerry Weiers (say "wires," R-District 12), the bill will legalize, for a one-year probationary period beginning January 1, 2011, lane-splitting in stopped traffic. It will only apply in counties with populations greater than 2 million (according to 2006 population estimates, this is just Maricopa county, with the Phoenix-Glendale-Scottsdale megalopolis). The bill sailed through the Transportation committee (which Weiers chairs) and the House Rules committee, and has been read to the State Senate as well. It's looking like there is little opposition to the bill so far, which makes sense: those who lean to the left should like the message of encouraging the lower environmental impact of motorcycle transportation, and those on the right should appreciate the individual-rights angle.

Sadly, the majority of the car-driving public, even in states like California, don't like the idea of lane-splitting. The main reason, judging from comments posted in response to articles on the topic, is jealousy: if I have to be stuck in traffic, you should be too (the "it looks dangerous" argument seems specious, as car drivers as a body show little concern for the safety of motorcyclists). Luckily for Californians, law enforcement is firmly on the side of the lane-splitting argument, as it allows motor officers greater mobility in high-traffic areas. That helps defeat bills every time legislation is advanced to outlaw the practice in the Golden State. That support seems to be present in Arizona as well, so we'll see if another state gets to experiment with legal lane-splitting in 2011. If you live in Arizona, call or write to your legislative representatives. If you live outside AZ, write to or call the AMA (what? You don't belong to the AMA? Call 1-800-AMA-JOIN!) and ask if they support the legislation."

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Attachments

Reactions: PinchiHuerinchi

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Lane Splitting

:dizzy:To the extreme! :eek:
LiveLeak.com - Crazy biker drives through traffic jam at high speed - Chile

LiveLeak.com - Ridiculous Insane High Speed Lane Splitting 100+Kmph - Sao Paulo, Brazil

LiveLeak.com - Illegal (In Georgia USA) high speed lane splitting fool

:confused: Insane? :closedeyes:
I filter to the front when traffic is sitting, but once 18-wheelers begin to move, I quickly find an opening to occupy. Wide cylinders and panniers prevent me from taking too many foolish risks.
Have seen bikes here with extremely narrow handlebars, altered for filtering. :donatello: During rush hours, scooters are fearless.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Those riders from Clem's clips are (a) pretty good at bike control (b) frickin' mad (c) not likely to live to draw a pension.

L of S

1 - 20 of 24 Posts