BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve hunted around the site without much luck. I believe I’ve seen the smaller Sport screen on a few of the forum photos, but does anyone have a picture of the R1250R (or 1200) with the larger of the two OEM screens installed on the bike?

Am just about set to buy a 2020 R1250R, but do want decent wind protection...the BMW dealer showed the OEM parts page that offered two screens, the Sport and the larger (around $380...?). Just wondering what it looks like, if it looks odd on a naked roadster.

And, yes, I know the RS would probably be the better choice for wind protection, but having test rode both, I like the ergonomics of the R much better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got the R1250R with the larger screen. At 5’9”, the wind hit me at the shoulders and neck. It’s a bit noisy around the helmet. I was thinking about getting the smaller sport screen but this would just move the wind blast down. I took the large screen off. Totally naked can be a strain on the highway for longer periods but the helmet is quiet. This has been discussed a lot elsewhere on this site. It’s a conundrum with naked bikes. Same deal on my previous Triumph 120. That touring screen was the same size (about 15”) as the large BMW screen. It was annoying. Higher screens (20”) on my T120 moved the wind over the helmet but also moved the turbulence up to the helmet. I had the same issue as you with the RS. Better wind protection but bad ergos.

·
Super Moderator
R1200R-LC Exclusive, 06/2015, Thunder Grey
4,453 Posts
Tilting the mirror arms towards the rear (almost aligned with the grips) and down as much as possible can be helpful in reducing turbulence.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are other topics dealing with the windscreen problem. There’s stock, VStream, etc. I don’t see these designs as anything new or hopeful.

I came across this new Puig touring screen for the R1200/1250R. It is 455 mm high and seems to have an unusual shape. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I’ll probably start with an OEM option, and if that doesn’t work look at the aftermarket.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi,
Here you are pictures of my R 1200 R with OEM High, Puig 45cm and VStream Touring (highest one). IMHO Puig looks much better than others while VStream works much better than others.

OEM:

OEM with deflector - not a good idea as causes the main screen to shake a lot:

Puig:

VStream

Cheers,
Momchil

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Momchilk, thank you so much for those photos...very helpful, and especially so with the contrast of the three screens of varying height. That’s just what I was after...thank you again!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi!
Glad to help :) I had the chance to ride a lot with all of those screens (including not shown here OEM sport one) and have been through same dilemma what screen to choose. As I said above VStream works best of all in therms of wind protection. But do not expect to feel like on GSA or RT - still windy, but much better. Event if you bend a little you can listen on the engine sound which with other screens is impossible over 80km/h.

Ride safe and stay away from Coronas
Momchil

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
I've tried lots of screens tall and short on my last R12R bikes and never found one I was worked well. However, my latest is the most acceptable. Its OEM sports screen with an MRA screen wind deflect. It's not perfect, but very good comprise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
I haven’t seen the 1250 tall (Touring) screen but the Sport screen is definitely different in shape to the 1200-LC. I suspect the Touring version may differ too (BMW likely ‘borrowed’ some tips from @mikeS when designing it).

·
Registered
8 Posts
No one comments on it's beauty but it works.

I'm 5'9" and I get a little wind buffet. I plan on buying a deflector this summer and seeing what that does.

Andrew
RwithHonda.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks...that is somewhat larger than I’d imagined, I have to admit.

At the risk of diverting my own thread, two related questions:

One, does anyone have a picture of their bike with the smaller OEM Sport shield? I think this might be the better choice for me, after all.

Two, what is that little OEM flyscreen called that I see on a couple YouTube R1250R videos and on one of the bikes in my local dealer’s floor? I don’t see it listed as an available Accessory option at the BMW site. This one:

·
Super Moderator
4,453 Posts
One, does anyone have a picture of their bike with the smaller OEM Sport shield? I think this might be the better choice for me, after all.

Two, what is that little OEM flyscreen called that I see on a couple YouTube R1250R videos and on one of the bikes in my local dealer’s floor? I don’t see it listed as an available Accessory option at the BMW site. This one:
Your picture shows the Sport screen. For pictures of the screens (not mounted on the bike) see REAL-OEM.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Your picture shows the Sport screen. For pictures of the screens (not mounted on the bike) see REAL-OEM.
I’m a bit confused now...the Sport shield shown at that link (which does match my picture above) does not match the Sport shield shown at the on-line R1250R brochure at https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/content/dam/bmwmotorradnsc/marketCA/bmw-motorrad_ca/ca_en/modelbrochures/2019_R1250R_CAE.pdf . The Sport shield there is both taller and rounded at the top. The High shield shown as well at the brochure is even taller. This is the Sport shield shown:

·
Registered
36 Posts
This, believe it or not, is the OEM large touring screen I got with my 2020 R1250R. It’s 15”. I took it off.
DE3C0651-F9D8-4FA2-9F73-163D939FD8FA.png

·
Registered
36 Posts
I’m a bit confused now...the Sport shield shown at that link (which does match my picture above) does not match the Sport shield shown at the on-line R1250R brochure at https://www.bmw-motorrad.ca/content/dam/bmwmotorradnsc/marketCA/bmw-motorrad_ca/ca_en/modelbrochures/2019_R1250R_CAE.pdf . The Sport shield there is both taller and rounded at the top.
View attachment 107135
This is what shows up in the online configurator as the sport shield. According to my dealer, it is supposed to mount on the same bracket as the larger sport/touring screen I have. These pictures aren’t accurate. The sides with the mounting holes are not as deep on the large screen. It’s a lot flatter than in the picture.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
OEM Sport vs High (Touring) for 2016 R1200R
parts nos are 46 63 8 534 281 and 77 33 8 534 283
Sport can also come as tinted 77 33 8 544 629
There was also a "cockpit trim panel" if you wanted no shield at all 46 63 8 555 152
I'm guessing these also fit R1250R
I've done many 1000s of kms behind the High

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Hello @sturgeon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 47 Posts