BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After doing this on the demo bike I had now on the one I own I’m wondering a few things.

My friend was following me today and when I was sparking the foot pegs he said the cylinder heads were a baw hair ( proper Scottish measuring gauge) for scraping too. So how far will the pegs scrape before the tyre is on the edge? And how far before the cylinders start touching? I had the pegs touching but only 2nd line down on the Elephants on Metzlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
After doing this on the demo bike I had now on the one I own I’m wondering a few things.

My friend was following me today and when I was sparking the foot pegs he said the cylinder heads were a baw hair ( proper Scottish measuring gauge) for scraping too. So how far will the pegs scrape before the tyre is on the edge? And how far before the cylinders start touching? I had the pegs touching but only 2nd line down on the Elephants on Metzlers.
It's an interesting question and I have occasionally wondered, but have normally been too focussed on riding to look down—maybe one of our forum members with a surfeit of GoPros can mount one low and forward so that we can gauge it. @mikeS?

I'm certainly very mindful of not clipping a curb with the LH cylinder when zipping around suburbia—could be nasty.

I have a vague recollection that one of our members scuffed a cylinder lightly whilst being somewhat boisterous but I can't find the post (was it @Thunder Fighter?). My peg feelers are worn quite a bit more than yours and I've never done so (except when sending the bike spinning down the road ...:frown2:) despite having MaMoto head covers.

I occasionally use all the tread on the rear, and less occasionally the front, but even running to the edge, I don't believe you're going to run off it and lose grip through lack of contact patch. Different tyre makes have different profiles and hence the width of chicken strips will differ for a particular riding style/pace. Some of the super sports tyres have tread that extends almost to the rim; I don't believe it's there to actually use when riding, just to let you down more gracefully when you low-side. :grin2:

Reactions: SteveJH

·
Registered
17 Posts
The other issue is the centre stand. I have had to remove some metal from each side, as the thing is grinding around corners. Sometimes it feels like the locating spring cannot hold the stand in place through undulating corners, but a few times (on LH corners) it has flicked the bike slightly upright. I am using the recommended pre-load options on the ESA so maybe the shock is struggling - at 55K kms.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I have a vague recollection that one of our members scuffed a cylinder lightly whilst being somewhat boisterous but I can't find the post (was it @Thunder Fighter?). My peg feelers are worn quite a bit more than yours and I've never done so (except when sending the bike spinning down the road ...:frown2:) despite having MaMoto head covers.
No, it wasn't me. I haven't even started grinding down the feelers on the Roadster yet. Still getting my technique and confidence back after a few years break from country road scratching.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
The other issue is the centre stand...
I took mine off very early in the piece so that it wasn’t graunching on corners. It’s still very handy though to pop on and off for maintenance, sans springs and circlips.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Perhaps watching this video might give any of you some idea of lean angle, it does not seem as though he is sraping the pegs. but the cylinders do not seem that far away.

Of course there is Schaaf he puts the bike through its paces.....well before his serious accident (he is okay) He also has his cats well trained, a mans best friend here.

Reactions: SteveJH

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
Perhaps watching this video might give any of you some idea of lean angle, it does not seem as though he is sraping the pegs. but the cylinders do not seem that far away.

Of course there is Schaaf he puts the bike through its paces.....well before his serious accident (he is okay) He also has his cats well trained, a mans best friend here.
The Thundergrey Riding video gives a much better impression of the amount of lean angle that can be achieved, and the amount of clearance to the heads.

I have to say, too, he’s a far smoother rider than Schaaf.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Dragging

I replaced the huge and squishy OEM footpegs on my '16 with shorter and thinner Puig footpegs.

At both MSRC and Circuit of the Americas the left footpeg and right centerstand dragged before the associated cylinder head.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What I don’t want to do is replace the pegs or wear down the pegs and realise that I get to a certain point and the heads start grinding. One the touring tyres come off that came with the bike and fit some stickier rubber things will only get worse. . I’m used to fighting the K1300s round the twisties on the edge of the tyre so the R1200R feels like a 125cc in comparison. Ride safe folks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Thundergrey Riding video gives a much better impression of the amount of lean angle that can be achieved, and the amount of clearance to the heads.

I watched this video loads of times just before purchasing mine.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have only grazed the feelers on my new R, but my 1100RS frequently skidded on pegs, valve cover guard, and center stand. What I don't get is how these parts could scrape independent of one another.

I did one track day on that bike, with no center stand, and found myself dragging the valve covers in the 2 off camber corners. I wasn't really aware at the time, but someone following me pointed it out in the paddock.

Worse than that, my lap times were pretty slow, too. Not an easy bike to hang off, either, since it required a lot grunt to pull it back up for the next corner. I did pass the Hailwood Ducati guy, though!

·
Registered
862 Posts

Finally, someone (Schaaf) who is even ruder than me while overtaking.

What do they say?

"There are bold bikers, and then there are old bikers, but there aren't many old-bold riders." Not to be critical, of course, but he mentions not "remembering" this corner or that. He's not likely to be riding like that in to his 50s if he's that aggressive on a heavily used, technical roads. You never know when the next thing you encounter is an oncoming logging truck 4 feet in to your lane. The last thing you see is the word "Peterbilt"

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
Finally, someone (Schaaf) who is even ruder than me while overtaking.

What do they say?

"There are bold bikers, and then there are old bikers, but there aren't many old-bold riders." Not to be critical, of course, but he mentions not "remembering" this corner or that. He's not likely to be riding like that in to his 50s if he's that aggressive on a heavily used, technical roads. You never know when the next thing you encounter is an oncoming logging truck 4 feet in to your lane. The last thing you see is the word "Peterbilt"
Not a Peterbilt, but a fairly unforgiving tree and slope ...
https://youtu.be/JSnwgas6n3o

·
Registered
5,297 Posts
Translation needed pls, Pz.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,249 Posts
Translation needed pls, Pz.
Schaaf (the ragged rider in the earlier video) expected too much from the tyres on the Africa Twin he was riding. On a left hand curve of a favourite road of his through a forest he low-sided and hit a tree then tumbled down the slope, breaking ribs, rupturing his spleen, collapsing his left lung, fatally injuring one kidney through interrupted blood supply (artery damaged) and miscellaneous other minor injuries.

One wonders if he’ll ever attain old biker bones ...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts