BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ok thanks, this thread/discussion started with the question about cylinder heads touching down, so i just wanted to make sure you weren't responding to the original query in the start of your post....

·
Registered
84 Posts
You can sure get these things over, and even in average conditions its confidence inspiring.
I reached 45/42deg in barely double digits temperature (C) on a misty alpine morning on Sunday (Omeo Highway). Neither the KD lowered pegs or centre stand touched down.

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Cloud Motor vehicle Light

·
Banned
0 Posts
this thread/discussion started with the question about cylinder heads touching down
They're not going to touch first, so don't worry. If they touch, you'd be on your way to a date with the asphalt:p. On the right side, the muffler would definitely touch first, without center stand and peg feelers. On the left side not sure, but I do not recommend removing both of those items, since touching with the heads wouldn't be pretty :). If you want to lean more than the 50 or so degrees it has with the 2 mods I did (shorter center stand stop & shorter feelers), you need a full on sport bike.

·
Banned
0 Posts
With this bike, you just cannot ride it like a supersport, unfortunately. But try to find another bike that has the same level of all-day riding comfort, performance, luxury/safety/convenience features, and a single-sided shaft swingarm. You just can't. If I lived next to the dragon, I'd probably own a sportier bike... but I wouldn't get rid of this one. I like it that much :). Due to the heads' proximity to the tarmac at aggressive lean angles, I wouldn't remove the safety nets like center stand and/or shorter peg feelers, to prevent a nasty accident. In addition, I wouldn't trust sport-touring rubber at those extreme lean angles, and on such a heavy bike. But it's your skin. Ha ha.

But if you're going to be that crazy, film it with good resolution, so we can watch how close hard parts get to the asphalt. Ha ha. I'm curious how close to the ground the heads with MAM X-Head protectors, and muffler, get. Also curious if the same part of the center stand touches on the left side, or it's the part you kick down with your foot. Thank you.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I completely agree with you about it being almost impossible to find another bike which is such a great all rounder, and it is the reason i came to the decision to buy the BMW...I think i will always rely on sport touring rubber on any road bike after previously owning a Speed Triple & Aprilia Tuono...I pushed them much harder than would be possible on the BM & discovered exactly how good a ST tyre is on the road, with the added advantage of having better wet weather grip over a sport tyre...I would not have any concern with the level of grip for the BMW even though it is a heavier bike + I have all the magical electronics to dave my skin, lol.. 😃

·
Banned
0 Posts
And it's not only wet weather, but cooler weather as well. Sport-touring tires are actually better than any sport rubber in cooler weather, since it's almost impossible to get them up to operating temperature outside a track. They can actually get downright dangerous when cold, whereas sport-touring rubber still offers plenty of grip when cold. But they don't have the same grip of sport rubber when hot, and you have to realize that. No electronic aid can save you if you're ham-fisted with the throttle, especially in cold weather (where tires are a lot less forgiving). Basically everything is a compromise, from bike to tires. As long as you're keenly aware of those limits, and don't attempt to exceed them, you'd have better chances of always keeping the rubber side down :).
A very important safety factor is being able to ride your bike to its limits, which not that many owners can actually do. But once you can do that, don't get cocky, or that skill could become a liability, rather than an advantage;).

·
Banned
0 Posts
In cool weather, it's much easier to outride even ST tires, especially on smooth pavement (and a little dust), so have to be careful. It's best to learn to always be SMOOTH with all controls (especially at the track), to minimize chances of an accident :). That way you can catch a slide on time, and correct. I have to say I'm impressed with the sophistication of our DTC, as I haven't felt it when my screen shows some intervention. But I ride super smooth, which is when electronics work the best. On roads like the 3 sisters in the TX HC, you don't even have to worry about traction, as the pavement is super rough. But like in Cloudcroft, NM, there s a stretch from SunSpot to Timberon that is billiard smooth, and sometimes dusty, so I have to test grip little by little, as those are prime conditions for a high-side. And on that note, ABS probably doesn't help to avoid one, since without being able to completely lock up the rear wheel, a high-side cannot be avoided. Or is it possible to lock up the rear wheel once the bike is out of shape? Curious about that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As you say smooth is best & i have always ridden that way...Fortunately for me even winter days don't create much of a problem with ST tyres in my part of the world, unless pushing hard on early mornings...I appreciate your advice but i have been doing this a long time so i am pretty familiar with all the situations you have mentioned & well aware of the need to read differing road conditions...Always willing to learn something new though !

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Just for reference, the BMW MOA president just posted this screenshot from the app from the first ride on his brand new RT...

Figuring out the full capabilities of the Motorrad app. This was me an Anja’s first ride together on the dragon. She had 5 miles on the odometer at the beginning of this ride.
Water Cloud Sky Plant Light

41 - 53 of 53 Posts