BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The sun is out and the snow is finally melting in MN. I've been looking at after-market seats over the winter. I've looked at Wunderlich, Corbin, Sargent, both Mayers and Russell. Several of these seat makers recommend leather seating surfaces vs. vinyl for comfort.

What is your experience with leather vs. vinyl? Is there a lot more upkeep with leather? How does it wear over the years and miles?

Any help appreciated as I intend to order a new seat within the week.

Thanks. J.A.C.

P.S. For a point of reference, I generally park my bike indoors, both overnight and during the work day. I also seldom ride in the rain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Hoshiko. Bit the bullet and ordered a Corbin today. Although a lot of money, the backrest for the passenger clinched the deal. Looks like it will be 3-4 weeks for delivery.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Thanks, Hoshiko. Bit the bullet and ordered a Corbin today. Although a lot of money, the backrest for the passenger clinched the deal. Looks like it will be 3-4 weeks for delivery.

Nice, please come back and give us your review, with some pictures..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can't really comment on longer term durability, but for comfort , my Corbin is way, and I mean WAY more comfortable than the stock vinyl seat.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Can't really comment on longer term durability, but for comfort , my Corbin is way, and I mean WAY more comfortable than the stock vinyl seat.
Does the Corbin sit any higher / back farther from the std height seat?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm 6'3" so sensitive to height, and I would say that it is only marginally higher than stock, but I seem to sit a bit more aft, and the Corbin is wider, so fewer pressure points than the stock seat.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm 6'3" so sensitive to height, and I would say that it is only marginally higher than stock, but I seem to sit a bit more aft, and the Corbin is wider, so fewer pressure points than the stock seat.
Cool I am 6'3" 34" inseam so I am looking for a bit more height if possible.

·
Registered
58 Posts
actually this post reminds me that I need to call Bill Mayers about a custom seat on my bike...I have the same question along with several others. I'll be sure to post how that conversation goes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts