BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally posted one the RS forum…

Here's the product link from Amazon...

TECHMAX Mini H7 LED Bulbs, 10000LM 60W 6500K Cool White Extremely Bright 30mm Heat Sink Base Conversion Kit Halogen Replacement
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CBRXTT6?psc...product_details

And the Box...

TOMALL 70mm 2.76 inch PVC Rubber Seal Dustproof Covers for LED Headlight Conversion Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075SB7YQ2?psc...product_details

Sorry, no photo of them in the box, but here's one of the bulb...

First step is to remove the stock H7 bulb. Here's where one faces the first major issue...THE HOLE!

As one can see, unlike other bulb sockets, there is no distinctive shape to ensure one inserts a bulb correctly. From my recollection, there should be a hole shaped like the base of the bulb so alignment is quick and easy. Instead, BMW only gives three divots to align the bulb/brace (yellow triangle is the top of hole). A major headache when one can't get in there to see what one is doing and must do it all by feel. FYI, flat part faces up.

Now, the install. First, remove the trim panel(s) on the sides of the instrument cluster. It really saves effort at reaching the bulb housing and gives one more space to see what one is doing.

Next, insert the brace for the bulb and re-secure the spring clips. This was a major pain in the butt. I had to use needle-nose plyers to position the spring lever back in place because (1) they must go to the outside of the brace instead of straight down, and (2) it's just hard to push the spring levers out, down, then in with one's fingertips.

Next, insert the bulb. Goes in at a 1/8 (45 degree) turn counterclockwise then turn clockwise to lock.

Then, deal with the wire harness. This is a hot mess. I removed the tags to keep them from getting in the way, then I removed the bulb, wrapped the wire around the base, reinserted the bulb and then connected it to the BMW side of the harness.

Finally, put on the rubber cover. At first, this freaked me out when I saw it wasn't big enough, but I realized it's meant to stretch over the lip and hold on with dynamic tension...which it seems to do well enough. Not "hard" to do, but I really had to do it by feel, starting where the clearance was narrow (top side) and work around the edge to ensure it slips on all around.

Start the bike and flick the lights to make them come on. One should hear the cooling fans run, and make sure there isn't any sound of obstruction. On my high beam, I heard a rattling of something against the fan blades, so I had to remove the cover and rework the wires to ensure they would not touch the cooling fan blades.

Overall, the install is clean, and here are the results. OEM on the left with progression to both bulbs upgraded on the right.

Reactions: CCP

·
Registered
581 Posts
Those may not fit on the R - the stacked-light housing is very shallow...

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i.e. do they improve night time visibility or do they just look cool?
They should improve visibility. The lumens output is much, much higher than stock H7 halogen bulbs.

I took an additional step: I went back in and trimmed off the protective sheaths on the harness side. It freed up more wire to position the plug so it wouldn’t touch the back of the light (where the fan is) but still allow the rubber caps to go on. With the sheaths, I was struggling to get the plug to sit in a way that did this.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
They should improve visibility
There’s a difference between should and do. If the LED location doesn’t perfectly match the H7 filament, then the projected beam isn’t optimised, causing a good portion of those additional lumens to be wasted. Colour temperature can also affect visual perception.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There’s a difference between should and do. If the LED location doesn’t perfectly match the H7 filament, then the projected beam isn’t optimised, causing a good portion of those additional lumens to be wasted. Colour temperature can also affect visual perception.
I agree, but from what I've seen so far, it's on the "do" side. The description, in detail, says 5,000 lumens per bulb (which I think should make them update the title describing the product as you only have 5,000 lumens if running only the low beam).

I get the color temperature issue. I'm asking if the LED is a full spectrum visible light output or attuned to a specific EM frequency. Color temperature doesn't answer the question because HIDs come in many color temperatures but generally are full spectrum (brighter is whiter).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts