BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,895 Posts
To paraphrase Monty Python:

Guinness is NOT a beer for drinking; it's a beer for laying down and AVOIDING.

Cheers!! Dave

• Haha
Reactions: Panzermann

· Registered
58 Posts
Good heavens... I look at all these threads on upgrading lights on the R12xxR and I just have to shake my head in amazement. Why does it have to be so darn complicated? I mean, leds with fans?!? I could have sworn leds were running much much cooler than halogen, but I'm obviously mistaken. And complex wizard circuitry to avoid tripping the bmw sensitive feelings detector and all that jazz with error codes... Why aren't the engineers at bmw realizing that upgraded lights just might be a possible thing an owner might want to do?

I'm a relatively new owner (first year) and absolutely love my bike, but I've now given up on upgrading the lights, which I thought I wanted to do, but there's no way I'm dealing with all that hokus pokus.

Sorry if this sounds like just a rant (I guess it is)

· Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
561 Posts
Good heavens... I look at all these threads on upgrading lights on the R12xxR and I just have to shake my head in amazement. Why does it have to be so darn complicated? I mean, leds with fans?!? I could have sworn leds were running much much cooler than halogen, but I'm obviously mistaken. And complex wizard circuitry to avoid tripping the bmw sensitive feelings detector and all that jazz with error codes... Why aren't the engineers at bmw realizing that upgraded lights just might be a possible thing an owner might want to do?

I'm a relatively new owner (first year) and absolutely love my bike, but I've now given up on upgrading the lights, which I thought I wanted to do, but there's no way I'm dealing with all that hokus pokus.

Sorry if this sounds like just a rant (I guess it is)
Don't give-up! There is light at the end of the tunnel! It is an R1250R with a bunch of LED lights on it!!! LMAO

Reactions: Ontrip

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
... Why aren't the engineers at bmw realizing that upgraded lights just might be a possible thing an owner might want to do?
Because BMW Motorrad designed it as they believe it should be. I’ve not yet seen an LED bulb that claims to be compliant with the various regulations - most LED bulbs and ‘work lights’ come with the caveat ‘for off-road use only’.
So BMW has no motivation to accommodate such bulbs. The 2023 R1250R has a full LED headlight, with an additional cost option for cornering adaptation, so there’s the upgrade path (instigated by the marketing department rather than engineers).

· Registered
561 Posts
Reactions: sperelli

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Finally received mine and they have been installed but no chance for a test ride with winter and salty roads.

Very satisfied with the increased brightness for daytime visibility.
Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tire

Property Plant Wood Flower Flowerpot

· Registered
561 Posts
Finally received mine and they have been installed but no chance for a test ride with winter and salty roads.

Very satisfied with the increased brightness for daytime visibility.
View attachment 118387
@Ontrip I see some Yeungling Lager in the background... will do for a celebratory sip, yet still not my favorite. If you prefer something lighter than Guiness, I suggest trying Weihenstephaner ;-)

Reactions: dbyker and Ontrip

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Yeunling is not sold in Canada and has always been a favourite when on bike trips in PA.

I picked up that case at the Costco in Queens on my way home from the US Open in September and my visitors finally finished the case over Christmas.

Thursday is recycling day here😁

Please try Superbock (Portuguese) if available near you.

@Ontrip I see some Yeungling Lager in the background... will do for a celebratory sip, yet still not my favorite. If you prefer something lighter than Guiness, I suggest trying Weihenstephaner ;-)

Reactions: dbyker

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,895 Posts
Weihenstephaner ;-)
Three years in Germany with the best beers in the world and always came back to Weihenstephaner , preferably Hefe Weissbier properly poured into a wheat beer glass - crisp, delicious, nailed that beer itch :)

Took about four tries to get used to wheat beer, but once I did I never went back.

The Weihenstephan brewery in Bavaria will be a thousand years old in 2040, oldest in the world, so they know a bit about their craft.

Cheers! Dave

· Registered
58 Posts
Has anyone tried these? If so, I'm extremely interested in finding out (a) if they are a true improvement relative to the stock bulbs, and (b) if they are truly no hassle with the hypersensitive BMW electronics. If it matters, my bike is a 2017 R1200R (and I have no clue if that's a hexhead ir bonehead, or if it qualifies as LC or not, the lingo just doesn't fit my brain). And of course I'm looking for plug-and-play, just swap the bulbs and smile.

· Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Yes this unit is the Auxito 2023 Upgraded H7 Bulb is the start of this thread

@fireman has done an extensive review and and I have also installed them and they check all of the technical boxes regarding installation and compatibility with the Canbus system.

His initial verdict after Road testing is very positive.

· Registered
58 Posts
Yes this unit is the Auxito 2023 Upgraded H7 Bulb is the start of this thread

@fireman has done an extensive review and and I have also installed them and they check all of the technical boxes regarding installation and compatibility with the Canbus system.

His initial verdict after Road testing is very positive.
Hmm, then I guess some of you are more tolerant than I would ever be about canbus errors. When I had initially read Fireman's post-install review, I gave up when I read about these dreaded canbus errors. I also wasn't too warm about the idea of the fans (I still don't get why LEDs need fans that halogens don't 🤔... what's the temperature of a halogen bulb when lit?).

But thanks for the clarifications

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
I still don't get why LEDs need fans that halogens don't 🤔... what's the temperature of a halogen bulb when lit?
I’ve wondered about this too. A halogen bulb is ‘dumb’ - just a coil of resistance wire connected to the terminals, and designed to heat up with electrical current such that it glows ‘white hot’ (not really white). Conversely an LED bulb has semiconductors, which are not tolerant to very high temperatures. Hence the need for some cooling mechanism (large heat sink, and/or fan. I assume that’s the reason.

· Registered
189 Posts
what's the temperature of a halogen bulb when lit?
I was interested in that too. LEDs are not as hot as Halogen bulbs.

· Registered
R1200R LC 2015
13 Posts
Well, the bulbs arrived yesterday and are now fitted. No CANbus errors so far, but they’ve not been switched on any longer than a few short runs to test the brakes post-bleeding - time will tell on that front.
Lovely white light, significantly brighter than the Phillips halogen’s and the spread looks good. MOT will be the acid test I guess.

· Registered
561 Posts
Well, the bulbs arrived yesterday and are now fitted. No CANbus errors so far, but they’ve not been switched on any longer than a few short runs to test the brakes post-bleeding - time will tell on that front.
Lovely white light, significantly brighter than the Phillips halogen’s and the spread looks good. MOT will be the acid test I guess.
shame: not shipping to Italy. :(
You can try buying directly from manufacturer. Somebody on Facebook had luck purchasing from their website directly

Reactions: sperelli

· Registered
561 Posts
I rode to an old airport field and took a few better-quality night-time photos of the Auxito H7 LED Bulbs with fans as installed on R1250R (see below).

Verdict: coverage and brightness - excellent.

AUX lights were a safety necessity for riding my R1250R at night even with decent Philips H7 Dimond Vision H7 bulbs, especially in inclement weather. With Auxito H7 LED bulbs, I would say adding AUX lights is still a good idea to increase conspicuity, however it is not a necessity anymore. I've been riding with Auxito bulbs for a few weeks now, mostly in 40-50'F weather, and half the time in moderate rain after sunset in dusk/dark (I commute by bike most days). No fan noise, no CABUS errors, unless I toggle low/high beam switch before starting the engine.

All photos below are Low Beam On, Aux lights Off.

Automotive lighting Hood Black Road surface Asphalt

Road surface Asphalt Flooring Tints and shades Sky

Automotive lighting Road surface Sky Asphalt Tints and shades

Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt Tints and shades Darkness

Atmosphere Light Black Flash photography Automotive lighting

21 - 40 of 46 Posts