BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally received the kit for the LED's from LED Perf and they don't fit.

I can't maneuver the low beam bulb into the headlight housing as it has to go straight in and the fan hits the edge of the headlight housing preventing it.
The high beam bulb does seat into the housing but the fan sticks up, preventing the cover from being put back on.

Before I ordered the kit, I emailed them expressly to make sure this was a plug and play deal, they assured me it was.
I made a couple of videos to show them, in case I have missed something but I doubt it.

I am waiting for their response.
(BTW, Tony is the representative at LedPerf I was emailing)

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I have emailed them twice, with links to the video, and it seems as though they are not responding.
I have saved my emails to them and I guess I will have to file a dispute with PayPal to try and get my money back.
Before I placed my order, they responded to my questions within a day.
Isn't it a shame that some businesses try to take advantage of customers?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I have emailed them twice, with links to the video, and it seems as though they are not responding.
I have saved my emails to them and I guess I will have to file a dispute with PayPal to try and get my money back.
Before I placed my order, they responded to my questions within a day.
Isn't it a shame that some businesses try to take advantage of customers?
That's too bad. Thanks for the update on this. It seems that having auxiliary lights is the best way to go on this bike at this point. Shame on them for misrepresenting the product.

·
Registered
532 Posts
And more shame on BMW for building such a crappy headlight
Agreed. At the very least, they should put out more lumens than they do. On my XX (‘99 model), the projectors were great. Excellent light spread compared to my prior bike. When I installed a HID system, it was even better. Since CANBUS interferes with the ability to upgrade, I wish BMW had used a better system for the headlamps. Better bulbs is my first “fix” for light issues, then I consider installing auxiliary lights. BMW just pushes you into adding more lights, which look fine on a GS but out of place on an RS.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder if the full LED headlight from the new F900R will fit the 1200LC/1250LC?
They look to be the same size and design.
I'll bet it would be prohibitively expensive though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, as soon as I put a dispute into PayPal, I received an RMA from LedPerf but no personalized answer to my question if there was a way to get these bulbs in as promised. It seems like return postage is on me.
Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bummer about the non fit. Just noticed you have been trying for a while now to get your LED's. I came across this assembly from a forum topic. I haven't tried it or know anyone that has, but if I happened to have a rock crack my factory headlamp or it gets damaged, this probably would be my choice. I couldn't find the post where the member installed it, but here is the eBay listing.
LED Headlight Assembly Might be worth a look?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yup... It some how appeals to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bummer about the non fit. Just noticed you have been trying for a while now to get your LED's. I came across this assembly from a forum topic. I haven't tried it or know anyone that has, but if I happened to have a rock crack my factory headlamp or it gets damaged, this probably would be my choice. I couldn't find the post where the member installed it, but here is the eBay listing.
LED Headlight Assembly Might be worth a look?
I bought that LED assembly and tried to get it to fit correctly on my 2017 R1200R but no go. It would not align to throw a level beam and the mounting points had to be modified to get it to bolt up. I sent it back and received a full refund. The quality seemed reasonably high but the fit , electrical connection and alignment all indicated the light was probably not meant for our bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I really don't like the look of that headlight. The quality of the actual LED is pretty important in the overall performance of the light so I like to stick with reputable companies for my LED purchases.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
I installed an LED "bulb" a couple/few of years ago (I posted on this at the time) that I've been pretty happy with. I did, however, have to take a Dremel grinder to some of the inside plastic to get it to fit. As you've seen, there is very little room in there. Yes, it is plug and play, but vendors do leave it to you to find room for the power unit, heat sink, etc.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am glad I paid through PayPal, I received my refund today. I am out $25 for return shipping though.
After having Clearwater Ericas on my GS and now on my Indian Roadmaster, I have ordered another set for the R.
I'll post pics when installed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I saw this the other day.
I have just contacted Cyron about their new "standard fit" LED H7 bulbs.
These look promising! I'll keep you all informed if they fit.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They replied and Have ordered it. I also inquired about a group buy and they did offer to give us one.
They didn't mention any details as I guess we are waiting to see if it fits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I, for one, am dying to know if this Cryon lamp works. I've tried and returned about a half dozen others that are "guaranteed" to replace the H& Halogen perfectly. Fortunately, Amazon is pretty forgiving about such experiments.
There are some very low wattage units that will actually fit in the housing, but are either way too dim or throw a pattern only suitable for "fog lights". PLEASE let this one be the solution.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
Unfortunately I don’t believe this bulb is the answer to a maiden’s prayer. Under ECE regulations, H7 bulbs must emit between 1350 and 1650 lumens at 13.2v. Under US regulations, H7 bulbs must emit between 1188 and 1512 lumens at 12.8v.

This bulb is rated at 1100 lumens nominal (1500 peak) so I can’t see any advantage in using it unless you like a very white colour temperature, especially as you’ll likely need a CANBUS error cancelling resistor. For me, 6000 K reduces contrast in night riding.

Better off with +50, +100 tungsten filament bulbs, I reckon. Brighter and a bit whiter than stock, with no complications.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts