BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Since you now know how to install a load resistor, you do not have to limit yourself to a canbus compatible device... Any LED turn signal will work without errors (hyperflash or otherwise) provided you use the correct load resistor.

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
457 Posts
Thanks, that is incredibly helpful, because that behavior was stumping me. I'm used to a mandated low beam on all the time, so the fact that it didn't on accessory prior to start made me think I had a problem, and led to my confusing post above. I've essentially been using #2 to have it work when not running. Ah man, this place is great for info. Thanks so much!

Anyone got a recommendation on canbus LED turn signal bulbs? :D
I use this: Dynamic Motorrad
Expensive for what they are, but very bright, very good. I use it, other people use it ;-) About as simple to install as it gets, takes about 5 minutes for all 4 lights.

Here is my install: WHAT (minor thing) have YOU done to your "R&quot...

There are a few other options, non as simple really. Use the search function of this forum for more info.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found them but...oh man even with a discount code, over 100 for turn signals X_X gotta think on that one. Is it true dealers could flash our bike to allow low voltage but won't to avoid liability?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I found them but...oh man even with a discount code, over 100 for turn signals X_X gotta think on that one. Is it true dealers could flash our bike to allow low voltage but won't to avoid liability?
I know... we've spent a lot of $ on our motorcycles to begin with, and every seemingly minor addition is also expensive. Considering lifetime warranty on these bulbs, outstanding service, and ease of installation, I say it is worth it. If I were to add the time I've spent researching an alternative solution to safe a few $, any cheaper LED bulb would have been priceless.

There is a reason why CANBUS safety feature exists, and I personally prefer a machine that tells you about a problem, rather than waiting for you to figure it out, sometimes the hard way.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know... we've spent a lot of $ on our motorcycles to begin with, and every seemingly minor addition is also expensive. Considering lifetime warranty on these bulbs, outstanding service, and ease of installation, I say it is worth it. If I were to add the time I've spent researching an alternative solution to safe a few $, any cheaper LED bulb would have been priceless.

There is a reason why CANBUS safety feature exists, and I personally prefer a machine that tells you about a problem, rather than waiting for you to figure it out, sometimes the hard way.
Yeah I like the CANBUS, which is why I'm working hard to make sure what I do keeps it intact. If I lose a headlight bulb or resistor, either takes out enough wattage CANBUS will alert. Man, lifetime warranty...might be worth it then. I can just wait for a possible holiday sale.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah I like the CANBUS, which is why I'm working hard to make sure what I do keeps it intact. If I lose a headlight bulb or resistor, either takes out enough wattage CANBUS will alert. Man, lifetime warranty...might be worth it then. I can just wait for a possible holiday sale.
I have not seen any sales happen on this product. As far as I know, it is a one man show, selling these bulbs for a fairly long time.

Here is another option from Amazon. I couldn't find the manufacturer, any feedback from sources outside of Amazon, anything really besides the seller. Cost is about the same...
Considering the $, I chose a well established brand.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah I've found some canbus ones on superbrightleds.com, my usual go-to for smaller LED bulbs. Just debating my options.
I did not find any CANBUS compatible options that would satisfy me from superbightleds.com Please share with the rest of us, what you found.

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Believe it or not they would fit (they even have a picture that shows this compared to the stock bulb), but no 100% guarantee they'll work with this bike. I might try them just to see.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Believe it or not they would fit (they even have a picture that shows this compared to the stock bulb), but no 100% guarantee they'll work with this bike. I might try them just to see.
let us k ow how it works out for you

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quick update, the resistor method failed spectacularly, and caused a bit of melting inside my headlamp assembly. Also filled the lens with lovely smoke residue. I got that all fixed, and what I have done is order a set of these to try: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097CJFTBZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

They are fully potted internally (I opened one). I am going to set up my 12v testbench and connect the bulbs to these, and then to my test power source and let it run for a good long time. Provided they don't get earth-scorchingly got like the crappy gold colored resistors, I'll try them in the bike. Also, the canbus turn signal bulbs will arrive today, so I'll try those too. Probably update you all on the weekend.

Toodles!

·
Registered
457 Posts
Quick update, the resistor method failed spectacularly, and caused a bit of melting inside my headlamp assembly. Also filled the lens with lovely smoke residue. I got that all fixed, and what I have done is order a set of these to try: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097CJFTBZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

They are fully potted internally (I opened one). I am going to set up my 12v testbench and connect the bulbs to these, and then to my test power source and let it run for a good long time. Provided they don't get earth-scorchingly got like the crappy gold colored resistors, I'll try them in the bike. Also, the canbus turn signal bulbs will arrive today, so I'll try those too. Probably update you all on the weekend.

Toodles!
Resistors do exactly that: get hot, lol. One of the reasons why I avoided using resistors as a measure for changing-out headlight bulbs with R1250R. Usually LED bulbs either throw all of their might into LEDs, or mix of LEDs and resistors to combat CANBUS error message (Amps converted into heat and/or LEDs' light). Unless the back of the bulb is in the open or has ample space to dissipate heat, something will fail (e.g. plastic housing melting). Most LED bulbs also get very hot for that reason: poor heat dissipation.

P.S. My two Denali DR1 pods use 20W combined (~1.6 Amps @ 12 V DC), and they are very-very bright (a few thousand lumens). Each light pod weights ~1.5 LB (mostly aluminum), which gives LEDs plenty of thermal mass to dissipate heat. While tiny in size, retrofit turn signals are on just for very short periods of time and don't really have a chance to overheat too much. This is why most LED headlight bulbs for cars have either a fan, or some sort of metallic fins to dissipate waste heat from LED chips.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yep, right there with you. No matter what, 55watts per bulb has to go somewhere. I've heard and read some very good things about these phillips units being more efficient, and the LED bulbs I have are designed so as to generate most of their heat out in front, in the same space the halogen does. So, we shall see! ^_^

Love the name BTW @fireman, are you a FF as well? FF-EMT here :)

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have done is order a set of these to try: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B097CJFTBZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Toodles!
These look fairly large... where are you planning to put them on the bike?
I suspect these might also get very hot... 10 watts of heat is the same (or whatever the power real draw of the bulbs you are using is), regardless if it is coming from a Philips-brander resistor or a no-name company.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The bulbs I have are 20 each, meaning these need to absorb the other 35. The reviews from other folks have indicated they get hot, but not melty hot, more like a level where you can touch it but you don't really want to, which is far under the melting point for ABS and such. IF they do stay that cool, I will tuck them into the headlight assembly. They are actually quite small. See below. Of course, they may not work, but I like a challenge and I am LOVING this bike. So I will win eventually >=D

:
Jeans Musical instrument Musician Musical instrument accessory Wind instrument
Furniture Tableware Textile Sleeve Table

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yep, right there with you. No matter what, 55watts per bulb has to go somewhere. I've heard and read some very good things about these phillips units being more efficient, and the LED bulbs I have are designed so as to generate most of their heat out in front, in the same space the halogen does. So, we shall see! ^_^

Love the name BTW @fireman, are you a FF as well? FF-EMT here :)
No association with first responders, just liked the nickname :cool:

41 - 60 of 88 Posts