BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve just installed an Evotech tail tidy on my 2016 R1200R, and as part of the job I also installed the smaller LED rear indicators that I ordered from BMW. Now the flash rate is too high and I don’t know what to do…

I have not yet swapped the front indicators, but I suspect doing so won’t fix the flash rate issue.

I’ve heard of the lower wattage of the LEDs will cause a fault, triggering the higher flash rate - as the bike computer thinks the bulb is out? I’ve also done the same kinda swap on my 2018 Ducati Supersport S, and no such issue occurred.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Einar

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
That’s the normal symptom of a blown indicator bulb (in some jurisdictions a compulsory one) although with Beemers you will normally also get a fault light on the dash.
If you are swapping from stock incandescent bulb indicators, you will also need to get your dealer to reprogram the chassis computer to expect the lower draw of the LED’s.
An alternative is to fit ballast resistors but that’s rather clumsy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks - sort of suspected this might be the reason. And - yes, I’ve got the yellow warning triangle on the dash.

Anyone in the U.S. had any luck getting a dealer to do this? I remember being on the phone with a local dealer (DC area) a while back who vehemently advised against installing these illegal and dangerous indicators, referring to both horizontal distance and surface area of the indicators. Perhaps just start calling around? Any chance it can be done remotely - the rest of the world seems to go that way?

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,394 Posts
both horizontal distance and surface area of the indicators
I understand that's the reason BMW doesn't fit them stock or as an option in the US - non-compliance with design regulations. Don't know if it applies to all states. Can't imagine a remote solution being available for something like this. Ballast resistors may be your only option.

·
Dave in NE TN
1,183 Posts
My understanding is the US Dept of Transportation no longer allows these LED turn signals, and BMW dealers no longer reprogram for them. I had them on my '09 R and they worked great. Nobody outside of US DOT bureaucrats likes the new rules.

Cheers, Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts