BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the standard H7 headlight bulbs with LED headlights. How difficult is it do, what is a good brand. Tired of replacing filament bulbs.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
Don't know about the RS, but lack of space in the R headshell precludes this on the R-LC

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
Don't know about the RS, but lack of space in the R headshell precludes this on the R-LC
Panzermann is correct--unless you're willing to do a little grinding on the inside of the million dollar case back like I was. :) I used an H7 LED bulb from XenonDepot that has the braided heat sink. Very happy with the light--have had it for over 5,000 miles. Oh, and so far as I can tell, forget trying to jam an LED in the high beam area--you'd have to grind an actual hole in the back and leave the electronics box outside too. I really wish they'd design an LED with a small space in mind! The braided one is very heavy duty but needs to be smaller!

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
I'd be happy with an LED for high beam only - for my needs, an LED low with halogen high is likely to be the wrong balance of intensity.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I saw this on the RS forum. Anyone tried it and knows if it works with the RS?

From the page....
Fitment: While these LED headlight bulbs are plug-n-play in any vehicle that uses H7 bulbs.. car or motorcycle.. they will NOT fit every vehicle if there's not enough room. We at Pirates Lair have no idea if they will or will not fit your bike unless somebody actually tries them and lets us know. Please check the sizing specs before ordering. (link below) You really only need 3 " room front to back and 1.45" width for the bulb. The driver module measures 2 3/4" long x 5/8" thick x 1 1/2" long. About 1/2 the size of the standard HID ballast.

... Of course, if you order a kit and you find out there's not enough room for the bulb and driver, we will issue a full refund for the return minus shipping and paypal fees. Email me for installation questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts