BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a "LAMP" alert come on my bike the other day. After checking every single bulb, I can find no failures. Anyone have a clue what's up??

·
Registered
479 Posts
My last lamp alert was caused by a faulty filament on the rear/brake bulb. The filament outwardly looked intact...but in reality it was broken but maintained its normal position...thus allowing the bulb to work sometimes...but not other times. I had to use magnification to discover the break. A freakish filament failure...but a failure nonetheless.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
The CANBUS is an amazing thing. Imagine you're still 100 miles from home, gets dark and thick fog closes in, and the trucks are numerous. When a single faulty filament in the running light occurs, CANBUS is able to keep the bulb seemingly lit for safety sake. It uses the remaining brighter brake light filament, but it only pulses the electrical supply on and off so rapidly that the bulb "appears" to be lit to the naked eye. It cuts the current before the bulb gets as bright as the brake light. As the bulb dims slightly, it turns it back on, then off again. If you use the brake lever, of course it glow bright as ever. Then immediately goes back to saving your ass mode. Too fast for you to see, but for the lowly CANBUS, just all in a days work. Change out the bulb, cancel the fault code, and you should be good to go. All that being said, when you want to plug in a new heated jacket, and the CANBUS vetos your order, you probably mutter,"what a weeny POS!!!"

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. Now to find the offending culprit.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The CANBUS is an amazing thing. Imagine you're still 100 miles from home, gets dark and thick fog closes in, and the trucks are numerous. When a single faulty filament in the running light occurs, CANBUS is able to keep the bulb seemingly lit for safety sake. It uses the remaining brighter brake light filament, but it only pulses the electrical supply on and off so rapidly that the bulb "appears" to be lit to the naked eye. It cuts the current before the bulb gets as bright as the brake light. As the bulb dims slightly, it turns it back on, then off again. If you use the brake lever, of course it glow bright as ever. Then immediately goes back to saving your ass mode. Too fast for you to see, but for the lowly CANBUS, just all in a days work. Change out the bulb, cancel the fault code, and you should be good to go. All that being said, when you want to plug in a new heated jacket, and the CANBUS vetos your order, you probably mutter,"what a weeny POS!!!"
Wow! Thnx for the super explanation, Clem. Very good...

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I totally agree. I had no idea. :dizzy:

Clem, is the fault display self canceling once the bulb is replaced??

1 - 7 of 7 Posts