BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2010 R1200R has decided not to start. All the lights on the dash are on but nothing happens when I hit the start button. This is an intermittent fault to make matters worse. Replaced the battery, disconeccted then reconeccted battery when it was happening didn't fix it. Sometime it starts then it won't. Sometimes when it won't start shows fault code related to the anti theft system. Manual says key can be reprogrammed by dealer but dealer doesn't seem to be on board with this idea. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Keyless ride? Tried replacing fob battery? I know the bike shouldn’t turn on, but you mention the security system, which might change things.

Also, obvious question, is the bike in neutral?

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
2010 model has no Keyless Ride option, @zer0netgain .

Sounds likely to be the sidestand switch and/or the clutch switch (presuming the gear position indicator is reflecting reality). Have you excluded these as culprits?

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
RF signal ring at the ignition
That item crossed my mind too, Phastkat, but it should show up as an 'EWS' warning on the instrument display. I would have expected the faulty ring antennas to be weeded out by 2010 (and certainly by now) although there's no guarantee that even a good one will last forever I suppose.

@Pez what is the fault code display on the instrument panel you refer to? If it's "EWS" then it is likely to be the antenna ring as Phastkat suggests.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts