BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got to thinking, "If I could infill the pannier brackets, would it look OK and provide some additional road muck protection.

Hmmm. So I went into the garage and this is what happened...

I hate the P-clips. Ugly. I thought about taking the rails off and welding on some tabs with captive nuts to take the screws. I don't have panniers, but would the tabs prevent them from fitting if I decided I wanted them later?

Anyway, thoughts greatly appreciated. I'm not a sensitive soul so brutal comments are acceptable

·
2,750 Posts
I've had similar thoughts for the pannier mounts but to create some little storage pods either side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Malcvtr

·
Registered
142 Posts
Here's a couple shots of the factory bags showing where they would interfere. The bottom center looks to be the only issue, I wouldn't weld a tab there. Your temp mounts look so good I wouldn't worry about welding tabs anyway if it were me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Could even use evenly tightened zip-ties with the knots on the backside for a minimal appearance... Hmmm...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Cant you just unbolt them? :unsure:
I believe they are rubber lined metal cable clamps, wrapped around the tube, so yes removable. I was thinking as I was going to sleep last night, if you were careful you could cut a center notch in the plastic lower bag mount to clear a smallish tab. There is certainly plenty of material to allow for it. Then those bags would be keyed to the bike so to speak, they would work on a standard one, but standard bags wouldn't fit it. A possibility anyway.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,621 Posts
I believe they are rubber lined metal cable clamps, wrapped around the tube, so yes removable. I was thinking as I was going to sleep last night, if you were careful you could cut a center notch in the plastic lower bag mount to clear a smallish tab. There is certainly plenty of material to allow for it. Then those bags would be keyed to the bike so to speak, they would work on a standard one, but standard bags wouldn't fit it. A possibility anyway.
I meant the whole frame not just the little bit of plate stuck on as an afterthought.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I meant the whole frame not just the little bit of plate stuck on as an afterthought.
The pannier rack is removable, or can be added to a bike that lacks them. Looks like just 4 bolts, but I might be missing something as I haven't removed it myself.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the thoughts, guys I've decided I don't like the look, but before it goes in the scrap bin I'm going to replace the P-clips will all black nylon ones and replace the blue/silver screws with black. I'll post a couple of pics when it's done (P-clips are due in on Friday).

Thanks again.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With black fasteners. Unfortunately, the black P-clips were slightly too small, so if I was going to keep this mod, I'd paint the existing ones.

I'll take a look at it outside tomorrow and decide

1 - 11 of 11 Posts