BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
I worked for VW and Porsche AG in the early 1990s, and got to drive the Ring a number of times, but alas, it was always inside of a car.
Funny, I can recall fantasizing that I was riding an RC45. I will say the 964 (911)was not a let down, though. Getting all 13 miles by yourself is kind of special, though!

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
482 Posts
So this guy got the chance to lap Nurburgring on a GS without traffic at the end of a 2 day school he had been instructing at.

Peg scraping ensues. On an R1250GS. Stock.
I was grinning just watching him ride, can't image how much fun it is in person!

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
311 Posts
Many years ago I had the good fortune of riding round the Nordschleife which is the original track on a R850R on the way back from Hungary. 2 up and a with camping gear. Must admit i rode round like Miss Daisy. Old ladies in VW polos and coaches overtaking us. 🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Have ridden the ring for around 5 years on various bikes - r1 - Honda Fireblade’s and s1000 rr and latterly taken my wife for a lap or two on our great little f800 gt - very dangerous place but addictive place - you will either love it ( we used to go for a week and ride it and only it lol ) or do one lap and frighten yourself to death . We were trying to get up for a few laps on our 1250 r on way home from holidays but couldn’t make it - only have a couple of things apart from the cost negative to say about it and that is - Jeremy clarkson and top gear have a lot to answer re the ‘transit van sub 10 minute lap and secondly there must be more attention paid to the vehicles and mechanical standard of vehicles allowed on it - personally I feel there should be like a camera / cameras to visually check under vehicles before they go through the gate , I have personally seen one year 9 cars and 3 bikes crash on spilled coolant - 2 hours later , track re opened bikes and cars went out - 15 minutes later track closed - another 5 bikes off on same spill - they hadn’t got it all - couple of tips should you ever want a lap on it - never try and follow a local around it and never go out if it’s raining or track is wet - it’s like ice - happy to talk about the nordschliefe all day - it’s nirvana for a petrol head 👍
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

Helmet Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle

Wheel Tire Vehicle Helmet Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Helmet Vehicle Motorcycle helmet

Tire Wheel Helmet Sports equipment Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Motorcycle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
344 Posts
I actually had a real lonely lap of the ring one year - me and my mate had one lap left on our tickets and was near the time the road closes , we approached the barriers with another 2 bikes , my barrier went up , his didn’t - he had used his laps up for the day - being on a blade the other 2 bikes were passed on the straight going down to the old start / finish grandstand - now a real dilemma eh - hardly ever do you get a clear lap and now had it all to myself - go balls out or knock it off and enjoy it - survival won and I went around at a subdued pace - really strange being on it yourself . Always bear in mind you are a long way from home and no insurance - was really weird though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts