BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a tip from a forum member, I looked for the 13-piece Wunderlich frame plug set, but only found it for the R1250R at Nippy Normans... and they don't have it available. Besides, they're in Europe, so it'd take forever to get here anyway, so rather find something stateside. Searched at Wunderlich America, but they only sell the RT set, for some reason.

Anyway, I want a 13-piece set, like the Wunderlich one. Only found another alternative by Puig (which actually looks nicer to me), but the only review for an R9T states fit is terrible, so not sure if the kit for the R1250R would be any better. Does anybody here has it, that can vouch for it? It's this one (from Revzilla): Puig Chassis Plugs BMW R1200R / R1200RS / 1250R / 1250RS | 5% ($6.49) Off! - RevZilla.

Or if one of you personally can vouch for any other set, please post it. I searched extensively, but most sets are for the GS. And some other super expensive ones (like R&G), only have 7 (or less) plugs. Thank you guys.
JC

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
50 Posts
Uhm...over 123 bucks, that sounds like an awful amount of money for a few grams of ABS...
Maybe you can find someone with a 3D printer and use this as a startingpoint?

I'll be trying this myself the next few weeks. Maybe even design-in my forumname :)

Reactions: Nicochau

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is there a benefit to this other than aesthetic? I worry that if some water finds it’s way behind the plugs, it wouldn’t be able to dry out as easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Is there a benefit to this other than aesthetic? I worry that if some water finds it’s way behind the plugs, it wouldn’t be able to dry out as easily.
Since BMW leaves these frame-ends open from factory, I have to assume that it is purely aesthetic. I might be a good idea to leave a small breathing hole open, although the Wunderlich caps don't have that either. I'll take that into consideration. I'll post my design if it is ready, but it can take some time. Not because the difficulty, but finding the time. :)

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
149 Posts
Amazon has a variety of no-name plugs. The ones I’ve considered cost under $25. They are advertised for r1200r, but frame openings are the same. If you are worried that they would come out, you may use just the slightest dab of clear silicone to hold them in place. Wunderlich installation video actually recommended that procedure for one of the bikes, however their instructions don’t mention silicone.

GUAIMI 11PCS Motorcycle Frame Hole Caps Cover Plug Kit Plugs Cap Set for R1200R 2015-2019 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WF6PGD8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_BFGCVNBP4A6T6AHMRFYZ
Here is another option, advertised for a GS, but I’m 99% sure they would fit R1250r as well.

HTTMT- MT261-013-SR- Silver Frame Plug Set (13 caps) Compatible with BMW R 1200 GS LC ADVENTURE (2014-2019) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SFZYT5...abc_X6N96MSYNJ8GXQDF9ZB1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Wunderlich America has frame plugs in stock.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Lots of options on AliExpress - most are stated as for the GS, but I think the overall frames are pretty much the same...

Here's one option, only $9 USD.

Edit:
Also available, machined and anodized aluminum plugs with or without etched text, in combinations of blue/black, red/black, gold/black or just black, for less than $30.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks to a tip from a forum member, I looked for the 13-piece Wunderlich frame plug set, but only found it for the R1250R at Nippy Normans... and they don't have it available. Besides, they're in Europe, so it'd take forever to get here anyway, so rather find something stateside. Searched at Wunderlich America, but they only sell the RT set, for some reason.

Anyway, I want a 13-piece set, like the Wunderlich one. Only found another alternative by Puig (which actually looks nicer to me), but the only review for an R9T states fit is terrible, so not sure if the kit for the R1250R would be any better. Does anybody here has it, that can vouch for it? It's this one (from Revzilla): Puig Chassis Plugs BMW R1200R / R1200RS / 1250R / 1250RS | 5% ($6.49) Off! - RevZilla.

Or if one of you personally can vouch for any other set, please post it. I searched extensively, but most sets are for the GS. And some other super expensive ones (like R&G), only have 7 (or less) plugs. Thank you guys.
JC
I have these https://pyramid-plastics.co.uk/coll...-year_2016+category_frame-end-caps#collection
Product Camera accessory Automotive tire Gadget Font

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes, I ordered these indeed, and the do seem to have "breathingholes".
I will be waiting on these before any 3D design attempts ;)

Since I was ordering anyway, I will give this a shot to attempt a DIY radiator cover:

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for all the help. I'm not crazy about the Wunderlich 'logo' on the plugs, but so far, it's the best 13-plug kit IMO. By the way, just got an email from Jeff Blair from Wunderlich, providing the same link Fireman posted below.

Wunderlich America has frame plugs in stock.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't think will find better fitting plugs than the Wunderlich ones, so although not crazy about that weird design they have, already ordered them this morning ($100 delivered). Will report on how they fit when received. Thank you for all the help :).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Don't think will find better fitting plugs than the Wunderlich ones, so although not crazy about that weird design they have, already ordered them this morning ($100 delivered). Will report on how they fit when received. Thank you for all the help :).
Please do and post photos. I’m considering those myself, and thus far has been impressed with Wunderlich engineering. A few things I bought were eye watering expensive, but top notch in quality, function and fit.

·
Registered
R1250R
715 Posts
I bought a set of Wunderlich bungs last year. They were the only option I could find at the time. However, two of the plugs do not fit correctly. There are two frame lugs set at a slight angle on each side of the bike, one large, one small. Wunderlich provide a suitably angled plug for the big one but a straight cut plug for the small one. A bit disappointing considering the 50 quid price.

I decided to keep them but omit the plug that does not fit correctly. I submitted a review on Nippy Norman’s (NN) site where I purchased them. Was contacted by NN about the issue. I explained it and sent NN photos etc. NN gave me feed back from a Wunderlich technician explaining that the plugs fitted OK. I replied to NN again and pointed out that either the wrong plug has been supplied or the Wunderlich tech needs to take another look. NN withheld my review.

All a bit strange. I’ll dig out the relevant photos.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I see what you're saying, and thank you for pointing that out. Hey, that's probably why most other vendors only offer up to 11 pieces. Ha ha. But I honestly prefer to get 13, and make it work, since that hole looks pretty bad IMO, and nobody is going to make a plug that fits it perfectly. Anyway, what I plan to do is cut a small 'V' notch at the bottom of the plug (orient it the way you want it first), and bend it inward with your fingers, and then put it in, and you should be able to 'close' it at the top. It might require silicon, or some other glue that wouldn't mess up the paint (don't use 'super glue'). Do you want to give that a try while I wait for my kit?:p

·
Registered
149 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Emailed my Wunderlich contact, and unfortunately, he replied with the statement below. So will have to mess with that plug, and see how it goes. But at least he knows now :).

JC,
I have not heard about or seen this issue, Please let me know how your experience goes.

Best regards,

Jeff Blair

E-Commerce Manager

·
Registered
R1250R
715 Posts
I see what you're saying, and thank you for pointing that out. Hey, that's probably why most other vendors only offer up to 11 pieces. Ha ha. But I honestly prefer to get 13, and make it work, since that hole looks pretty bad IMO, and nobody is going to make a plug that fits it perfectly. Anyway, what I plan to do is cut a small 'V' notch at the bottom of the plug (orient it the way you want it first), and bend it inward with your fingers, and then put it in, and you should be able to 'close' it at the top. It might require silicon, or some other glue that wouldn't mess up the paint (don't use 'super glue'). Do you want to give that a try while I wait for my kit?
The kit is over priced for what it is (but what isn't when it comes to motorocycles!), and for the money you would expect perfection. The plugs for what they are are very nice, and all fit perfectly bar that one on each side. I notice there are lots of 4 and 5 star reviews on Nippy Normans (NN) but like I say they withheld my 3 star review.

If they are smart enough to make the big angled plug then they are smart enough to make the small plug with the angle. Maybe my kit had two incorrect plugs in it - I dunno. NN did contact Wunderlich and their response was the customer has got it wrong. But no way will a straight plug ever fit correctly in that angled hole. Yup you’d have to modify and glue it in to get it to fit right and stay looking right but I don’t want to do that.

Hi! Thank you for sharing these photos and your review! Did you use any silicone or other means of holding the plugs in place except friction? I assume plugs stay in place after prolonged use, correct?
They are a snug fit (apart from the two in my kit that didn’t fit). I don’t think they would stick in – as some day one might want to get them out, but in any case I put a tiny smear of Castrol multi-purpose grease on fitting them. Yup mine have been there for 18mnths and 6000 miles.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey, that's messed up that NN withheld your review; that's pretty shady. Glad I didn't buy the kit from them. Ha ha. Well, at least Wunderlich guy in charge E-commerce now knows about the issue. And yes, it definitely could be made with that angle, but my guess is whoever did the kit initially, didn't notice that slight angle. And the other unfortunate reality is there are very few guys as anal as us, who probably didn't even notice that angle. Ha ha.

Anyway, I'm actually going to try a better approach: Cut the 'V' notch little by little, until it's the correct size so the plug fits snugly. Then I'm going to 'super-glue' both edges to join them, hoping I can insert the plug like all others, so it can be removed like all others as well. If successful, I'd let you know, so you can give it a try too :). But if that fails to fit perfectly, I'd definitely use a bit of silicon to achieve that, since it'd still be easy to remove, with no damage or anything. Will keep you posted. And yes, I'm really bummed having to overpay so much for crap just because it's a BMW, but it is what it is :).

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
403 Posts
I’m starting to think I’m one of the few around here that likes the raw, industrial look of the open frame holes.

If I ever change my mind about that, it’s good to know Wunderlich offers a set…the couple of metal bits I have from them are top-notch.

·
Registered
R1250R
715 Posts
Hey, that's messed up that NN withheld your review; that's pretty shady. Glad I didn't buy the kit from them. Ha ha. Well, at least Wunderlich guy in charge E-commerce now knows about the issue. And yes, it definitely could be made with that angle, but my guess is whoever did the kit initially, didn't notice that slight angle. And the other unfortunate reality is there are very few guys as anal as us, who probably didn't even notice that angle. Ha ha.

Anyway, I'm actually going to try a better approach: Cut the 'V' notch little by little, until it's the correct size so the plug fits snugly. Then I'm going to 'super-glue' both edges to join them, hoping I can insert the plug like all others, so it can be removed like all others as well. If successful, I'd let you know, so you can give it a try too :). But if that fails to fit perfectly, I'd definitely use a bit of silicon to achieve that, since it'd still be easy to remove, with no damage or anything. Will keep you posted. And yes, I'm really bummed having to overpay so much for crap just because it's a BMW, but it is what it is :).

Was a bit peeved the way it went and my review being withheld. And like I say I still wonder if my kit had two wrong plugs supplied – but the response from the Wunderlich tech was just – well weird – what did he not understand was my thoughts.

I’ve used NN since and will do again. The service – apart from my strange frame plug experience – is excellent.

I’d be wary of using superglue – though brake cleaner eats superglue with ease should you need to remove anything superglued in or on with it. Silicone sealant if that’s what you mean – well it is often used as a glue and is indeed a very strong and effective glue at times. The stuff literally holds kitchens and bathrooms together all over the world. But I don’t know anything that really breaks it down. And if you remove kitchen wall units held on with silicone it often pulls big chunks of plaster with it. Not sure it will bond to paint well but if it does you’ll have fun getting it back off. And never ever use that ‘Sticks like **** stuff’ unless you really really want something to stick like **** for ever ad ever.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts